Shared Access - Drive ways. Please help!

Guest PaulandVicky

Vicky if you can get the landlord to have a look at his deeds there should be a legal easement which allow each party to cross each others land for access. We built a house in the uk and shared a roadway with another new house (my brother) and an easement had to be drawn up by the solicitor. This also covered parking, dustbins, plant-pots etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parks, parks, parks - that's what they are there for? To Play in??

Private gardens - for whatever you want to do in it play, dance, eat....

Streets - is for public for driving and walking/running/cycling

DRIVEWAYS - are for cars!

Im with you paul and Vicky...driveways are for cars....why dont you just remove the dame basket ball thing !?

As far a legal liability goes ...if a child is injured on the driveway the owners of the land will be sued for damages...

And Diane yes kids need to play but NOT as the expense of inconveniencing others...what happened to consideration and manners ???????

There is nothing nicer than nice children with manners and consideration for others but the ones that are a nuisance are a pain in the ass !!!

Lynne

Guest PaulandVicky

Good thinking... We are pushing our agent a little bit more then its time for giving the master chief a blast with it all. We take note of your fab advice!, cheers

I've had a good read of this and have to ask myself is this for real. You didn't move to the other side of the world to get into a legal dispute about a ball. If its that much of a 'issue' break lease and move and next time choose your rental more wisely if things like this annoy you. If they were bouncing it in there garden it would be just as noisy so is it the 'shared' drive that's the issue or you don't want to hear the ball bouncing. If its the shared drive then learn the lesson for the next rental and if its the noise then well that's life living in houses next to kids.

Edited by minty

I think everybody's right...

I like hearing kids having fun and I like it when they are at home. Despite the fact we live near an oval and a basketball court we had a basketball hoop (really, don't most kids?) which eventually ended up fixed to the front of the garage. Now DS liked it, DS's friends liked it but my OH and I didn't and my neighbour didn't! We didn't like it when their kids had pool parties, then we liked it when ours had pool parties. We didn't like it when their kids got cars with the mandatory doof doof, but now our has, it's ok.

We are friends with our neighbours and always have been. We both appreciated the other and the fact that kids will be kids and we enjoyed the pleasure the kids were getting from their pursuits - and sucked it up! That doesn't mean it wasn't horrible at times and if you don't have kids, then it must be even more annoying. I HATE hearing other people's noise but there you go; I'm sure there are times when people hate our noise (although we try to be quiet). I understand you want to feel safe in your home, with nobody else's noise or life impacting negatively on yours.

All that said, I think I would be inclined to pull your neck in, go over and apologise if you seemed a bit of a grumpybum over the hoop WHILST politely reiterating your reasons why...and invite them over for a drink. You never know, you might find they're actually going to be good neighbours to have.

I hope it works out for you, really.

LC

Edited by snifter
removed ref to now deleted post

Guest Guest5035
If I were you, next time they are doing it open all your windows and you and your OH have very noisy sex - guaranteed to make teenagers run screaming in horror and you'll never hear a peep from them again!

If you know its guaranteed Diane, then i guess all your neighbourhoods kids have done a runner:biglaugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Stevo

Tricky.

I think what would worry me was the possibility of damage to property and cars.

I say this as we have had a hoop on our garage (own drive) and my own two managed to dent my car and break outside lights, despite being 'careful'. Basketballs are heavy and very solid.

I think maybe pointing out to the neighbour that you are really concerned about this aspect and ask if they are willing to repair any damage if it occurs.

I don't think you can stop kids playing out though.

Check with the Agent/Landlord on weather the dwellings are "Strata Titled" as some strata titles will have restrictions, also known as articles, which dictate the behaviour of the unit owners. These articles can include:

• not keeping pets or animals at the property
  • maintaining your unit in good condition
  • not obstructing the common areas
  • not using the unit for illegal purposes.

Guest PaulandVicky

Diane- brill!

Rameygirl - brill. Part of my point. Tick

Stanley246- cheers for info. I'm struggling, as the net is not obstructing the drive...we still can access our garage etc. but will consider this one. Brill.

After discussing my issue, My collegue had commented "I loved playing basket ball when I was a kid, BUT DIDN'T REALISE HOW ANNOYING I WAS" brill. Her thoughts were siding with me!! Ha ha!!

Tricky.

I think what would worry me was the possibility of damage to property and cars.

I say this as we have had a hoop on our garage (own drive) and my own two managed to dent my car and break outside lights, despite being 'careful'. Basketballs are heavy and very solid.

I think maybe pointing out to the neighbour that you are really concerned about this aspect and ask if they are willing to repair any damage if it occurs.

I don't think you can stop kids playing out though.

Surely they are not solid, I thought they had air in?

For me personally I would be concerned about the potential damage it might do to my car.Who would want the inconvenience?Secondly when I have been at work all day,I would like peace and quiet.Not total peace and quiet,that would be unreasonable.Depending how long it went on for,the ball thudding could get on my nerves tbh!I would of thought these kids would of preferred the parks,courts as there would be more space?I have a fairly high tolerance to noise but if this was going on night after night for quite a while?It could test my tolerance and patience!I think its abit unfair to say to the OP about choosing a better/quieter place to live.Was'nt the basketball hoop put up after they moved in?Had it been there when they viewed the property,they may have then decided it could be an issue in the future.

• Like 1

I can't believe this is still going on. Your colleague wasn't siding with you she was remembering how it was a good part of her childhood.

None of us did anything in our childhood that we wouldn't do now. Nor that annoyed other people.

I think suggesting to the OP that they could reconsider where they live is no worse than declaring kids should only spend time in parks and not near their house. Yes it's a driveway. Didn't anyone ever watch neighbours?

Don't turn this into a vendetta. Just really, find a way of living near these people. Have them round for a barbie or something. Get to know them. You might find that helps. If you make an issue out of this they may well decide to do the same. And play more.

Guest PaulandVicky

Sorry sally, im not sure what you watched. Neighbours program: had a road and the owners had there own drives. This set up is totally different, so it doesn't compare....and it was false believe it or not..

My colleague yes did too have a great childhood I'm sure, but now relates how annoying she was to her neighbours, but as a child could not comprehend the pain in the ass she really was, and now can relate and sides with my issue.

I don't think inviting them round would be absaloutly necessary,god knows where they came from...rude-ville. Waste my life, time and effort trying to know someone who is dam right rude....yawn yawn....and beers are expensive here!! Lol.

Keep this thread going. Loving it!

In Neighbours you might remember the kids spent a lot of time playing ball games in the turning circle in the end of the road. :) That's a shared access. And in real life you'd hate that just as much. You'd be complaining about the risk of broken windows, telling them they ought to be going to the oval. Etc.

You know I wouldn't be that flash hot pleased about the basketball you are complaining about either. But you seem to think you can use it as a reason to simply be offensive and dictatorial about other people's actions. Oh, and judgemental! Your response is to go telling tales to the landlord, try to tell on them to the council... instead of trying to build bridges with these people and work something out. I should imagine you have got their back up. Even if you "win" this game of basket ball you have done damage to your neighbourhood relationship and stirred up trouble. You'd have had completely a different response out of me if you had framed your initial posts in a different manner. Because I know I wouldn't like it that much too. But there are plenty of ways of being annoying neighbours that don't involve basket ball hoops.

If this thread is simply here for your entertainment then I should think we can let it quietly die a death.

Its simple, yes we do have to live together (unless we choose to live on a large country plot) therefore, we should be considerate to our neighbours. Those people with dogs cats and children need to be more considerate as they need to "control" these in order to BE considerate to our neighbours. If you neighbours are not CONSIDERATE then I really dont see the point in inviting them to a BBQ or a for a drink, as they would not be the kind of friends I would want to know...

Its all too easy for parents to say children will play out etc etc....but yes whilst they are doing that they are your responsibility NOT to be a nuscience to others ! As a parent you need to know what they are doing and if they are upsetting anyone. If you are not dealing with that you are an irresponsible parent !

Just remove the basket ball hoop in the night and the kids will soon find someone else to annoy ! LOL they will probably then kid their ball against your fence..

Yes, remove it, and then you have stolen something attached to someone else's property. Great plan. Do that. See what happens. That's the trouble with taking the advice of strangers on the internet.

The point of getting to know people is that you are more likely to get them on side. It's obviously a new language for some so I will let you look it up and work it out.