Migration airline ticket, extra baggage , extra price?

Guest Stevie A

Guest Stevie A

Has anyone emigrated using a migration ticket which you can only book once you have your visa number? This ticket allows you 40kg of luggage per ticket, but is it more expensive?

hi, we just booked with Singapore airlines, one way ticket, once we had booked and had a reservation number, i emailed them saying it was a one way flight as migrating etc and they automatically confirmed that we all had the 40kg baggage allowance, was very simple and no special tickets were needed, hope that helps :-)

Has anyone emigrated using a migration ticket which you can only book once you have your visa number? This ticket allows you 40kg of luggage per ticket, but is it more expensive?

It's something Singapore Airlines offers to migrants. Be aware they require it to be an unvalidated permanent visa to qualify for the migrant excess baggage.

You usually just book your flights and then email them to confirm the excess etc.

Only Singapore does? I thought that it's a service offered by all Airline companies, isn't it?

Nope it's not. Very few offer it these days. Qantas used to but not sure if they still do and if so the hoops you have to jump through.

Qantas and BA do really cheap excess bag (max 23kg) if you fly all the way through on one of their planes. Max 1 bag per person. Costs about $90 Aud or so last time I looked.

Emirates offer 30kg as standard in economy to everyone. They don't do a migrant allowance and charge hefty fees for excess.

You'll have to research as to what, if anything other airlines offer. Don't take it as a given though.

Be aware!!!!! We flew Singapore and thankfully emailed them and got a confirmation email back of the extra luggage after providing our visa numbers for them to review. When we checking in at Manchester they said that the visas (perm and unvalidated) did not qualify. After ten minutes of arguing and us producing email from reservations showing additional allowance did they relent!!! Moral of the story is get it in writing!!!!!

Guest Adelaide_bound
Be aware!!!!! We flew Singapore and thankfully emailed them and got a confirmation email back of the extra luggage after providing our visa numbers for them to review. When we checking in at Manchester they said that the visas (perm and unvalidated) did not qualify. After ten minutes of arguing and us producing email from reservations showing additional allowance did they relent!!! Moral of the story is get it in writing!!!!!

We had this as well last year but didn't actually have anything in writing - the check in girl was a right stroppy cow, and basically was horrid to us about everything. I wasn't backing down though and asked her to get her supervisor to check if she wasn't going to let us, and she then admitted we were allowed it and just put it in. Have to say the girls on the plane couldn't have been nicer though, it was just the UK checkin girl that was horrid lol.

I think Cathay Pacific also provides 40kg extra baggage allowance for migrants on one-way tickets, provided visas fall within certain categories and are being validated for the first time.

All the very best for your new life in Australia. Adelaide, hopefully. x

Edited by barbaitch

Long time ago (2000) I just phoned around the airlines, Malaysian were the only ones whom came up with anything, and that was double allowance and it was so easy, I just called them to book the tickets, job done! and was really please with the airline and have flown with them a couple of time since.

Good luck. Keith

we booked via IOM who gave us a choice of Singapore or Malaysian Airlines (price was the same as the airlines website) in December 2012 and the email confirmed 40 k of luggage and that was on a 457 visa, did get confirmation in email just in case, but didn't really say anything when we checked it, we flew with Malaysian airlines and it was fine, but think it is better if you get it confirmed in writing just in case, definitely worth it as that was all we bought over !!

Guest deardos

Singapore and emirates offer addition baggage. I went through the same arguments as everyone else it seems ! Just e mail the airline and get them to confirm the additional baggage ! Then be prepared to have a 10 min chat with the checking in assistant. Ps gave a copy of your visa grant notification.

Seconding all that everyone else has said - make sure you have a copy of your extra allowance and then there can be no quibbling.

Our trouble was when checking back in after our three day stop-over in Singapore; we had to show the girl there our email but after that there was no problem. (and that was Singapore Airlines booked through Trailfinders).

Singapore and emirates offer addition baggage. I went through the same arguments as everyone else it seems ! Just e mail the airline and get them to confirm the additional baggage ! Then be prepared to have a 10 min chat with the checking in assistant. Ps gave a copy of your visa grant notification.

Emirates don't offer excess as they already have a 30kg standard allowance for cattle class. And also as they are the airline that now works with IOM so give excess on limited tickets that way.

We flew British Airways as they had much cheaper extra baggage, I think it cost us about £30 each for an additional bag of 25kgs, so we had 50kgs each.

My understanding is this is only good if you fly on an actual BA plane the entire way through. Codeshares don't have to honour that excess. Did you fly BA the entire journey or fly with one of their codeshares?

Guest Nixipixi82

Hi there, we signed up to a bank that gave us a link to Quantus where we get a special allowance for 40kg per person on a one way immigrant ticket, and the flights are with emirates by the looks of it.

I would shop around as looks like there are a few secret deals out there. We are looking at £750 each to travel for 23 hours all together, great value compared to the longer flights with long stop overs.

Don't know if this is useful or not but when I booked our flights to come out this April, I checked with Qantas for the special fare which they still did with the extra baggage, but when I looked at the website and priced up an extra bag to give the same kg it worked out cheaper to do it online

In the end I used our frequent flyer points for extra baggage so worked out even better