'The Wife'

Guest Guest12727

I can't stand people in the media saying 'twenny' instead of twenty. And February eighteen ............. NO IT'S THE EIGHTEENTH OF FEBRUARY FFS, and not One July ............ FIRST OF BLOODY JULY ...... :arghh: It's not hard, really.

That's the North American way, I had a work colleague once from the usa and really could not understand why we said it the way we do, I pointed out to him that the way we say it is in a chronological order ie. DD/MM/YYYY, and that the usa immigration card puts it this way too! 'GULP' .

They also have trouble with how we tell the time, as in quarter past and to and half past, they tend use the number and, as in 15 after and 45 after, whilst we can understand their way, they have great trouble understanding ours and will look at you blankly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest12727
selfie, bestie, my bad, bite me, phully sik, sik em, phat, can't abide them but, Shazza (it's SHARON) grrr, personal journey, big it up, big ups ....................... any more anyone?

'My bad' - one of the worst - I always want to shout Bad WHAT

and bff

Guest Claire-n-tel
phully sik

I didn't know it was "spelt" like that but that phrase has been around a while......when we came to Australia on holiday in about 2001(?) we bought my nephew a swatch watch in Dubai on the way it cost about 150 bucks and i was not impressed that he anounced it "fully sick" until it was explained that was a really good thing to be!

Oh and i hate the phrase "my baby daddy" :arghh:

Guest Guest12727
oh I've thought of another ........... when a married person speaks of their husband or wife as 'my partner' ............... irritates me no end

don't you mean The Partner? :tongue:

Mine is a new variant of an old phrase, " I could care less" which, as I understand it, is supposed to mean that the person does not care at all.

It used to be, " I couldn't care less" which made perfect sense to me. Unlike the new one!

Now, if we turn to spelling errors that we hate....I loath 'definAtely'.

There's NO fricken' A in definitely. Hate it! Don't really know why that turns me schizo, it just does!

LC

The one that really grates with me,and leaves me speechless,is the description of a single punch that has killed some poor soul.Pure Americanism,the phrase 'King Hit'implies the person who delivered the blow is all powerful!How disrespectful to the deceased's family.How disrespectful to the public,to attempt to sensationalise such an act in the Media.Makes me want to vomit.

Guest Claire-n-tel
The one that really grates with me,and leaves me speechless,is the description of a single punch that has killed some poor soul.Pure Americanism,the phrase 'King Hit'implies the person who delivered the blow is all powerful!How disrespectful to the deceased's family.How disrespectful to the public,to attempt to sensationalise such an act in the Media.Makes me want to vomit.

Hi Sue!

Yep, stupid eh......even more stupid is the government now giving so much time to changing the name of it (coward hit i think) rather than stopping fighting in the first place.

In ED probably 10 years ago we first started hearing the term banded about, then it supposedly meant a hard hit straight on to the face out of nowhere, now it apparently means being punched in the head from behind with no warning???

ANY word for it needs to not be used, if someone is injured it is important that if possible medical staff are actually given a discription of what happened. Aghhhh

There was a program on SBS about male violence the other night and someone mentioned about changing the name from "King Hit" to "Coward Punch/Hit". While it isn't "the answer" I personally think it has a lot merit as it makes the person whose done the deed think that others see them as "loser and low life". It is a cowardly thing to do so why should we see is like it is a sign of a "King".

There was a program on SBS about male violence the other night and someone mentioned about changing the name from "King Hit" to "Coward Punch/Hit". While it isn't "the answer" I personally think it has a lot merit as it makes the person whose done the deed think that others see them as "loser and low life". It is a cowardly thing to do so why should we see is like it is a sign of a "King".
Exactly.Couldn't agree more Toni.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Oooh i've just remembered another one....when someone says "over 13 ingredients" for example.....what 14?

Hi Toni! Yep i agree in a way, ie why refer to something awful in a 'good' way.....the problem is then that it leaves the door open for any 'other kind' of punch to become brave/hard/etc It is a good job i don't have any say over what happens to those people......they wouldn't be doing it again thats for sure:skeptical:

Think out the square.

In fact (nearly) all business and marketing phrases, they are all a load of bollox!!! Most things can be said simply, no need for pages of words that mean nothing or say the same.

And don't start me on LOL, the worst of them all....you would think everyone was laughing all day long the amount it's written.

I have unfriended a person on FB as they put it at the end of almost all posts.

Guest Guest75
Think out the square.

In fact (nearly) all business and marketing phrases, they are all a load of bollox!!! Most things can be said simply, no need for pages of words that mean nothing or say the same.

And don't start me on LOL, the worst of them all....you would think everyone was laughing all day long the amount it's written.

I have unfriended a person on FB as they put it at the end of almost all posts.

LOL........................................................... Sorry could not resist.:tongue:

'Whatever'...Yargh!!!:wacko:Annoys me when someone says this flippantly,as they can't even be bothered saying why they disagree with you!And of course,everything here is 'Awesome',a word that has been adopted to describe just about anything even slightly impressive .Again the penchant to plagiarise all things American comes to the fore!:shocked:

More to do with the English langage than anything specifically Aussie, but I love the fact that a little bit of awe is good (awesome) but a lot of it is terrible (awful) - how did that ever evolve? D'you reckon that's where the saying about it being possible to have too much of a good thing came from?