Enough negitivity...We're 1 month in & lovin it!!

Guest MandiMR2

Hi guys,

I too was worried about the negativity on this site and needed to come here and see for myself and so far we have been here nearly a week and loving it, yes it is hard going the first week we have so far managed to validate bank accounts, buy a car, looked at a few longer term rentals and have a few days off for Easter and will be looking for schools and more longer term rentals and then jobs!! After all the stress of leaving the UK we promised we would do as much or little as we possibly could on a day to day basis as our coming here was for a slower pace of life!!,

The weather is gorgeous and makes the last 2 years rollercoaster worth the stress is caused!!!

Anybody thinking of doing it please do but be prepared for the ups and downs that go with it, if you don't do it you will regret it for the rest of your lives!!

Edited by Bal67

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Some members need to find better things to do with their time instead of dampening the dreams of others!!

That's a pretty harsh comment to make, Darkfire UK :shocked:

Perhaps I'm a bit thick (hmm, maybe ignore the 'perhaps' lol!) but I think posters generally want to be helpful. Even if that means the information given seems glass-half-empty to eager would-be migrants.

LC

Yes a poor post there from Darkfire. Theres some very good advice here from those who have just arrived through to those of us who've been here a while, stories good and bad. The 'suck it up princess' attitude is one of the worst traits of Aussie natives, one which still does my nut in. Its like theres no debate, no banter, 'that's just the way it is'. :notworthy:

Not a great way to go about things

For those of you coming over here, I would take all the advice, positive and negative, especially from those of us whove been here a while and can give you all angles on life over here.

I live to hear the positive expat feedback its lifting for those about to make the move but I also value the stories from those whos experiences have not been so bright and cheery ... thats just reality. Having read a lot on numerous forums both good and bad have helped me no end. For one we thankfully decided on a two week recce in advance and this helped us make the next decision we have delayed our move by few mths to prepare bettet now we know what to expect having spoken to a few of you who already made the move.

I think its correct to say that each persons curcumstances dictate to some degree wether you have a "positive" or "negative" experience. Those with children will have more urgency to couples in settling. If you have family and friends it may be easier than if not. If you have more money it means you can relax a little more than those coming less financially secure. Like everything its all relative.

Now ive taken more time and taken on board all sides and commenrs on these forums I am more realistic and more sure it is definitely what I want. I can move armed with lots if advice knowing it may be tough but all what you put into it

Dont berrate the less than positive posts as it is really relative to each and readers need to read all sides and take them for what they are ... other peoples experiences. At start reading ghe negatives terrified me but the more potive and negative I realised its impoertant to get all sides.

Having said all that it great when you read the happy endings. To those whose endings are less than happy bet your delighted you tried. No regrets.

Cant wait :-)

There are positives and negatives with moving anywhere.

I guess being in a new country for 5 minutes would be exciting, with new and a wonderful experiences with the holiday and honeymoon experience in full swing.

There is also a flip side, for example 12-18 months in, no perm job, applying for everything, registering with all the employment agencies, using the hard earned savings to make ends meet, kids not settling into school move them and then still not settling. Skype isn't the same as having a cuppa and a chat with old long term proper friends, the fake it till you make it attitude, Telling family back in the UK that all is good but deep down you know that there is a burning desire to get back into your old life back in the UK as on reflection your old life wasn't all that bad after all, having to drag yourself out of bed everyday to go to a dead end job where as a pom your treated as a second class citizen on the minimum wage.

Yes, there are negative posts on most forums (including this one) as well as positives, it's called "Reality" and an "unbiased opinion".

I'm sure that in others opinion, "things don't work out because there isn't enough research done", If a forum only projects positive feed back, then where can this full and unbiased information to be found?

I will look forward to reading the on going updates and views once reality sets in for the new arrivals.

Please, don't mock the negatives on a forum, because these are real peoples lives. Who are either going through it or have been through it. There are also others on here who are too proud to admit that they may have made a mistake by moving half way round the world and who are stuck in a situation thinking they are on their own, the members who are posting negatives are only trying to advise and give real unbiased life experiences.

Edited by zealander

Guest Guest12727

I have no issue with different perspectives and agree that people need to come with their eyes open.

What I do dislike, and is sometimes seen on this forum, is sweeping statements portraying someones own bad experiences as the norm for everyone, usually followed with comments like 'so don't bother coming' or 'go to ...somewhere else...it is much better there" or "all employers are...something rude/derogatory...'. Personally, I don't think this is helpful to anyone - except perhaps the person who is getting their anger off their chest.

Please don't bag the 'negative' posts (you don't have to read them if you don't want to). Like marriage, emigrating isn't always a bed of roses and it doesn't always work out. Divorce doesn't put people off getting married, so I'm sure 'negative' posts don't put people off emigrating. Pomsinadelaide is invaluable for those about to make the move, there is so much information on here and genuine feedback at people's fingertips. It's not like a Bridal magazine trying to sell you the perfect marriage/life, there are real people on here with real experiences good and bad. Embrace the variety of opinion and make up your own mind.

I have no issue with different perspectives and agree that people need to come with their eyes open.

What I do dislike, and is sometimes seen on this forum, is sweeping statements portraying someones own bad experiences as the norm for everyone, usually followed with comments like 'so don't bother coming' or 'go to ...somewhere else...it is much better there" or "all employers are...something rude/derogatory...'. Personally, I don't think this is helpful to anyone - except perhaps the person who is getting their anger off their chest.

I think it is fair to say, particularly over the last 6 months, that the commentary on this forum to would be emigrants has been negative and almost to the point of 'don't bother'

i remember going through the process myself years ago and all I needed was some positive re-inforcement that I had a chance of living the dream. That, all things been equal, I could rely on my own skills to make it happen and on my personal ethos to succeed in SA.

I do not believe people base the decisions of a lifetime solely on other peoples commentary of their experiences but once hard decisions are made, they seek positive clarification that they are in with a shout, at least.

Everybodys experiences are different and varied but I believe in the old adage of "if it is meant for you, it will not pass you by".

This is a great country. Adelaide, in my opinion, has lots going for it for families coming from the UK and Ireland. Employment is key and although it is tough here now, it is still achievable to get work. Research, research, research before you arrive. Take responsibility for making it happen.

People can still make their dreams come true and I really believe this happens for the majority. I feel genuinely for those that cannot make it work due to circumstances and sheer bad luck.

so, dream the dream, go for it, try your best and have no regrets. Life is about living, not about making safe decisions, imho!

Instead of the frequent discouraging & gloomy threads & comments posted on here by some pessimistic members, I thought I'd share SOME GOOD NEWS!...The OH & I have been here just 3 days over a month & we are LOVIN IT!!! So if you are in the thought process, planning stage, or the waiting interim, I would say carry on, persevere, climb those emotional mountains & get yourselves here!!!!

The 1st couple of weeks are admittedly very manic, but when moving to a new country what else can you expect?!!! We spent many days traipsing around the city (getting lost lol!!) attending to matters such as new bank accounts, Medicare, tax file numbers, driving licence, mobile sim cards, employment preparation, car buying & probably many other things that have escaped my memory!! But its definitely doable, we just got on with it & consequently know our way around lol. We are now feeling very relaxed & extremely settled, of course we miss family & friends but we don't miss home 1 bit, in fact we have communicated with them more this last month then we ever did!! Thank goodness for Skype & whatsapp!!

We love the weather most favourably. Being able to have our morning coffee in the garden in the glorious sunshine, going for walks & lunch outdoors in the lovely surrounding parks & beaches, along with many BBQ's & beer/wine also outside in the evening warmth, almost everyday is absolutely fabulous. I've not worn my coat since travelling to the airport in London!! I'TS GREAT!!

The overall nature of Adelaide is relaxed & easy going (apart from the numerous mad, impatient drivers!!), everything is so easy to get to its hard to believe we're living in a city! My OH is loving the huge variety of food available here, with such a great choice of international cuisines available & affordable.

So to anyone on their way down here, stay positive, keep your dreams alive, just as we did & you will achieve what you desire...& should it not work out, you can at least look back knowing you've tried, instead of living in regret of not knowing & asking what if???!!!!!

Best of luck, Mandi & Leigh x

Hi both

Completely agree we have been here almost 8 weeks and like yourselves we love the place. Granted there is lots to do but as you say we have moved half way across the world,.

there are too many people on this sight sharing doom and gloom so all I say is live your life and don't listen to others. You decide on what is best for you and your family and only you!

everyone does the research on a country before you move and remember you have to work for what you get nothing is handed to you !!

Adelaide, the place, the people and the weather are all great.

Kathy

Edited by SwanseaJack

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi All :biggrin:

I have been reading this thread with interest over the last few days and just wanted to add my pennys worth......

I really don't think that there are very many people on these boards who post just to spread doom and gloom and negitivity. Everyone who posts here is relaying their own experiences and feelings on them......i don't think it is fair to brush off someones feelings as just being negitivity no more than it is fair for anyone to say that the new arrivals are finding things wonderful because they are looking through rose tinted glasses etc.

Everyones experiences are important and none are truer or more or less valid than anyone elses. Sure if you only want to hear about how wonderful life is here then only read the positive posts and if you only want to be convinced how awful it is then only read the less positive posts.

However if you want to read about all the different experiences that people have and have a wider picture then read all sorts of posts.

Also remember that the same or similar experience will be felt differently by every person. Despite all that has happened since we arrived in Australia i am right where i want to be.

So whatever anyones personal feelings, see them as being just that, personal, and there to be read and either quietly taken on board or dismissed for your own needs but not to be belittled :wubclub:

Guest TK-421

We're 13 days from flying from the UK, so everything is very visceral and alive for us at the moment.

I have noted on many occasions that some members have a less than positive outlook on new migrants making the move. I for one promised myself at the beginning of this whole process that I would support new Pom's making the move out, regardless of the current state of affairs or my personal beliefs as to whether it is right for them to come over.

I do find it quite rich that some members are openly against the flow of new arrivals to the country. Once upon a time they were migrants making the leap too. They had all the fears and uncertainty that newbies are currently experiencing. I dont think its right for migrants to openly bemoan the arrival of new people to their country. It is up to the government to decide who comes in and when. Forum members should accept this and welcome newcomers with all the help and advice they can offer. By all means give an accurate account of things 'on the ground' but dont heap loads of negativity on members.

I do think that the whole visa process and dealing with the reactions of friends and family does give one a thick skin. I have not been negatively impacted by anything that has been written on PIO and PIA. But I do log on here for a generally positive experience, which sometimes I do not receive.

Edward

I would support new Pom's making the move out, regardless of the current state of affairs or my personal beliefs as to whether it is right for them to come over.

Surely that's what posters on here do. Someone asks for info; another replies.

If someone wants an opinion on how easy it might be to find work and a less than positive reply comes back, is that negative?

If you ask the same question of someone who has been here a few months, opposed to years, you are likely to get a different reply. Is the one that gives the answer you don't want to hear being negative or unhelpful?

I love my country, don't give a rat's behind about the UK*, and will happily rave on about how wonderful it is here. So, if you simply want posters to be a welcoming cheer squad, let us know. I reckon most of us can oblige.

Finally, I wish all new, recent and past migrants to our beautiful state well. I hope you all find what you seek, but I hope that if that doesn't happen, you still feel able to ask for help, advice, vent, cry etc on here.

LC

* I might not care / know what's happening over there any more, but I won't bag the place. We had a wonderful life there and I will always be grateful. :smile:

Guest TK-421

If someone wants an opinion on how easy it might be to find work and a less than positive reply comes back, is that negative?

No of course not. That is why newcomers should be given the 'lay of the land' by those in the know.

An example of what I'm trying to get across about negativity on the site can be found here:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/42015-job-scenario-moving-adelaide.html

There is telling it how it is and then there is adding a personal slant to the facts that may not be truly representative of what is actually happening.

E

Guest mactac
No of course not. That is why newcomers should be given the 'lay of the land' by those in the know.

An example of what I'm trying to get across about negativity on the site can be found here:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/42015-job-scenario-moving-adelaide.html

There is telling it how it is and then there is adding a personal slant to the facts that may not be truly representative of what is actually happening.

E

-

Really how long have you actually spent living here ?

Come back and argue that point in 2 years time I will take you more seriously.

Edited by mactac

E

I am going to point out that this link takes you to a thread in which some posts have been heavily edited (by the author) from their original posts so the context of the thread may no longer make sense. Just an FYI.

Edited by snifter

E

I don't come on the Forum as much as I used to and in part it is because some people can be negative but there are many more that aren't. The thread you pointed out I must have "missed" because it doesn't sound negative to me.....it just sounds like someone was up to mischief because they had nothing better to do with their time than to stir "genuine" people who come on to the forum to receive and give advice, friendship and encouragement. I think that a "Forum Member" needs to be better defined. If members come on here to have a bit of fun (warped fun IMO) then they are not really accepting the tone and purpose of the forum, which I personally think is about being part of a larger "helpful" community.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Also worth remembering that this is an open forum, there are no police checks, background checks, etc etc done to allow people to join and post......

As with every forum you will find experienced and inexperienced posters, lurkers, people who expect exact answers to their questions, helpers, s*** stirers, vigilantes, etc etc

For this exact reason everyone needs to be aware that whatever they read is advice/opinion only.

There are many avenues, which are not forums, where people are able to (mostly at a cost) obtain either factual or legal advice.

Guest mactac
Also worth remembering that this is an open forum, there are no police checks, background checks, etc etc done to allow people to join and post......

As with every forum you will find experienced and inexperienced posters, lurkers, people who expect exact answers to their questions, helpers, s*** stirers, vigilantes, etc etc

For this exact reason everyone needs to be aware that whatever they read is advice/opinion only.

There are many avenues, which are not forums, where people are able to (mostly at a cost) obtain either factual or legal advice.

My posts I removed because of 100% negative feedback.

My original point was pointing the difficulty in getting work.

I have lived here for 3 years that gives me personal experience.

Below is the reality, not just my personal view.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/swatting-prank-gamer-makes-fake-911-call-losing-23436074?tab=9482931&section=1206840

That Audio is the ABC, the national broadcaster :

Not just my personal opinion :

The above comment is pretty disgusting

I understand this is a forum to support others

However it is also a forum people may read in the UK

before selling their house, their car and leaving their job

Again to those readers the reality is (abuse aside)

Employment is the highest in 12 years

Now continue to take pot shots at me

I will not engage anymore

Edited by mactac

Guest TK-421

Fairdoos mac.

I understand how the forum can sometimes get heated. I didn't mean to single your posts out. The thread just resonated with me in a negative way is all. (contrary to my earlier post about being thick skinned)

Will find out for my self in a little over a week.

E

It makes me laugh when I read some of the post on here like that's us two weeks in and loving it which we had done it years ago, how can anyone know in such a short space of time that they love it most people have not ventured past the side of the city they live on or even found a job . The lucky ones are the ones who come over with a job that have money coming in right away rather than spending all there hard earned savings looking for work for months on end . As for negativity should we all just say it a great place and we just love it so much who are they going to blame when they cannot find work. I have seen so many people come and go over the time I have been here most in the past could not settle and missed family and went back to the UK but now I am seeing it changing over the last couple of years where its work and the lack of opportunities here that are sending people back.