Skilled Migration should be put on hold...

Diane

SA already has a stream of young potential taxpayers who are educated at a high standard who are struggling to get jobs at the moment. Why would it help bringing any more in? There are three Universities in the state that are continually churning out graduates and post graduate qualified young people who can't all find work. What we need is attract more large businesses to the state, either head offices, or more preferably the research and development departments. We need to find a way to attract more manufacturing and processing type work. And we need to bring more money in to the state by attracting more tourists and other visitors. You can't grow an economy simply by throwing more people at it.

:notworthy:Post of the week :notworthy:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I "blame migrants"?

Who were you quoting, because it certainly wasn't me.

I actually feel quite offended that you would link my post to your rant.

FWIW, I don't read the Daily Mail, and as a migrant could also have stupid people claiming I'd come, " in here taking our ....jobs"

Apologies if you are offended, but this whole sentiment of "there are young people here without jobs, don't bring any more in" is (in my opinion) utterly short sighted Daily Mail thinking.

This stream of ready-to-go skilled taxpayers with all the tools but constantly out of work is a nonsense - there are many areas with CURRENT shortages, and many areas with surplus. This is the same for any advanced economy; the point of skilled migration is to meet the ongoing needs of Australia, not right this second.

For those (and they tend to be the same people every time) who say we should look at holding up migration due to economy, show me ONE example where closing borders has helped an economy. These people on the whole had left the UK before it went bad there, and didn't see the same flawed arguments being made. Migration continued at a high rate, and guess what - unemployment is dipping and the economy is on a strong path.

More skilled people mean that when the government (local or national) or environment makes conditions better for business, then the resources are there to drive success. This isn't short termism.

Edited by guspjmh

Apologies if you are offended, but this whole sentiment of "there are young people here without jobs, don't bring any more in" is (in my opinion) utterly short sighted Daily Mail thinking.

Haha! Thank you, yet once again you seem to be adding words to my original post that simply weren't there.

I appreciate that migration can stimulate an economy, but because of the '3 P's', not because of anything you've added. I was merely asking a question, as part of the thread - even if there was a sense of rhetoric to it.

I do not believe I have ever read The Daily Mail, so I looked it up and found this interesting article:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/oct/07/addictive-carcinogenic-daily-mail-spoof

I take this article as seriously as many other things I read, but I did wonder if the 'passive dependence' mentioned might be as interesting to you, guspjmh. I quite like the idea that people would be,

"constantly linking to it (The Daily Mail) due to a sense of outrage"

I would appreciate it if you would leave me out of any further posts regarding the rights and wrongs of The Daily Mail, migration, or any further abuse of my posts. Whilst I would love to discuss the article further, this would seem inappropriate, given the OPs thread.

:cool: LC

Haha! Thank you, yet once again you seem to be adding words to my original post that simply weren't there.

I appreciate that migration can stimulate an economy, but because of the '3 P's', not because of anything you've added. I was merely asking a question, as part of the thread - even if there was a sense of rhetoric to it.

I do not believe I have ever read The Daily Mail, so I looked it up and found this interesting article:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/oct/07/addictive-carcinogenic-daily-mail-spoof

I take this article as seriously as many other things I read, but I did wonder if the 'passive dependence' mentioned might be as interesting to you, guspjmh. I quite like the idea that people would be,

"constantly linking to it (The Daily Mail) due to a sense of outrage"

I would appreciate it if you would leave me out of any further posts regarding the rights and wrongs of The Daily Mail, migration, or any further abuse of my posts. Whilst I would love to discuss the article further, this would seem inappropriate, given the OPs thread.

:cool: LC

I thought I'd made it clear in my last post that I wasn't targeting your post specifically, just the general theme that tends to erupt on here regularly.

On a positive note.

Adelaide's tourism industry is booming with record numbers of arrivals through Adelaide airport. The exposure from Lonely Planet and the New York Times was really beneficial.

Tourism presently supports 30,000 jobs in Adelaide which is far more than are directly employed by mining.

I am planning to move to SA in March and after reading this, I feel bit scary ;). I am leaving everything behind but still I have a hope of doing better.

Arrive with an open mind and make as many contacts in your field as possible (LinkedIn, seek etc) before the move. I was also scared half to death by what I read on here before moving; my experience has so far been very positive, but I'm not naive enough to know that things can't change.

What field are you in?

Guest Guest14361

I landed in 91 stayed in my skilled job for 2 years never been near it since, the pay was crap then and still is. If Adelaide loses the sub corp build, there will be around a couple of thousand more tradies looking for no jobs. To be honest SA is a stuffed state, no one wants to invest here, never have never will. Should inviting tradies from overseas be halted.....too right it should

I landed in 91 stayed in my skilled job for 2 years never been near it since, the pay was crap then and still is. If Adelaide loses the sub corp build, there will be around a couple of thousand more tradies looking for no jobs. To be honest SA is a stuffed state, no one wants to invest here, never have never will. Should inviting tradies from overseas be halted.....too right it should

Sub Corp (ASC) laid off casual tradies just before Christmas and haven't brought them back. The person I know hasn't picked up any work since they were laid off.

Guest Guest14361

I have two mates that work their aswell, one at sparkie the other a mechanical fitter, both young guys with families and mortgages etc etc, they are scared of no jobs being there if it closes. With Holdens ramping down now it's not going to help either.

I am planning to move to SA in March and after reading this, I feel bit scary ;). I am leaving everything behind but still I have a hope of doing better.
@bhupen008 please don't worry, if you come with the right attitude you will make it work. I love it over here and would never go back. Have you a job to come to?

This has really put the jeepers up me!!!!!!! We have PR but no job to come out to. Doubt I'll sleep tonight! :shocked:

I wouldn't have thought this information would be new to you, did you see my response to your post in January? A lot of us come without jobs, it works out for some people and not for others, there are no guarantees. We have been here 8 years and have a good life here, but that takes time and effort, things often don't all fall into place for a few years and there will be ups and downs the same as if we lived in the uk.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/44634-help-advice-needed-please.html

Edited by Jessica Berry

My husband was never made redundant in the Uk,in over 25 yrs,here he must have been laid off about 5 or 6 times in the last 10yrs,twice in the last year.It makes life very stressful.

I personally believe that a lot of it is attributable to the high number of very small businesses here,who often run their business on a shoestring and the loss of one contract can be catastrophic.

The knock on effect of this can often be that due to pro-rata holidays if you are constantly having to change jobs ,holiday entitlement can be effected very detrimentally.

I think more so nowadays you have to have decent funding to get you through what could be potentially be a longer period without work.

I have to say that if i had a well paid, with good benefits job in the UK i would seriously consider whether it is worth the risk,especially with children.

Its not being pessimistic,in my view its being realistic.

Sue

On a positive note.

Adelaide's tourism industry is booming with record numbers of arrivals through Adelaide airport. The exposure from Lonely Planet and the New York Times was really beneficial.

Tourism presently supports 30,000 jobs in Adelaide which is far more than are directly employed by mining.

A link or some reference would be handy - that's a good news story if right, but at odds with ABS figures. I recall last year the state gov spruiking some tourism numbers and when challenged over them stating it had commissioned a report and would make this available to show how tourism was increasing ... when the report was finalised the gov changed its mind, didn't release it and hasn't (afaik) repeated its claim on numbers.

I believe everything happens for a reason and fate. When me and Carrie hopefully get our skilled visa approved this year we aren't leaving with the rose tinted glasses on! Personally I think it all boils down to attitude and your willingness to make a living for yourselves without expecting things to fall in your lap straight away! Whilst we both have very good careers and skills if Carrie has to travel to remote areas for agency work (which she's already been offered) and I have to take up temporary work in another field, then we will because we know it will be tough the first year or so! Too many people say to us how we will have a massive house, pool, cars etc etc when we move to Oz back here in the UK, but in reality if it happens then we're really lucky but we'd be just as happy enjoying the lifestyle and free activities Adelaide offer living in a 2 bed apartment. I guess all I'm saying is don't let the media put you off bettering yourself. As long as you have your health and the willingness to work anything is possible and I wish everyone chasing the same dream all the best whatever it involves and hopefully see you all soon :-)

Cheers Joe

A link or some reference would be handy - that's a good news story if right, but at odds with ABS figures. I recall last year the state gov spruiking some tourism numbers and when challenged over them stating it had commissioned a report and would make this available to show how tourism was increasing ... when the report was finalised the gov changed its mind, didn't release it and hasn't (afaik) repeated its claim on numbers.

Here are a couple of links: Like everything else we read I can't verify the contents.

http://economic.priorities.sa.gov.au/

South Australia has a unique and compelling landscape and story to tell.

South Australia’s tourism industries employ more than 30,000 people in a range of different jobs and throughout the regions, with an economic benefit of some $5.2 billion.

We need to ensure that visitors to our state are able to access the state easily and that once they arrive, the infrastructure and local service offerings exceed their expectations.

and:

http://tourism.sa.gov.au/assets/documents/SATC_infogram_2_pager_S14.pdf

Here are a couple of links: Like everything else we read I can't verify the contents.

http://economic.priorities.sa.gov.au/

South Australia has a unique and compelling landscape and story to tell.

South Australia’s tourism industries employ more than 30,000 people in a range of different jobs and throughout the regions, with an economic benefit of some $5.2 billion.

We need to ensure that visitors to our state are able to access the state easily and that once they arrive, the infrastructure and local service offerings exceed their expectations.

and:

http://tourism.sa.gov.au/assets/documents/SATC_infogram_2_pager_S14.pdf

Thanks, but it was this bit I'd hoped to see some information about:

very well aware of how many small businesses rely on tourism, and that's why I hoped for information about record numbers. Unfortunately, the links you've provided don't mention anything that could lead to the conclusion that SA tourism has record numbers or is experiencing a boom. The first is a government wish-list for the future where tourism "is expected to be one of South Australia’s great growth opportunities", yes, quite, but that's hardly the same as saying we're currently experiencing it.

The second link shows growth in some categories and some shrinkage in others from the previous year, with the two rather neatly cancelling each other out - again, nothing that supports a claim of record numbers.

Tourism is vital to SA's future; a lot of people - B&B owners, local tour operators etc earn a living from it, and the state government should spend more money helping tourism to get it right and operate professionally, not cutting its spend on tourism as it has over the last year. If there's any evidence that numbers are up, then great, I'd like to know because I'm involved peripherally in an industry pressure group. That's why I asked. From everything I've read, though (and there are plenty of links available), there aren't record numbers in tourism, and trends over several years are flat rather than booming. This is despite the Lonely Planet listing, paying for events that other states don't need to cough up for (such as the Rolling Stones appearance), tax payers funding the redevelopment of the oval etc.

SA has a great deal to offer visitors - it's a fantastic place to holiday, Adelaide is a great convention venue - and getting this right could do more for the state that pretending to would-be migrants that jobs are in demand; we're quite a way off that point at the moment, though.

Edited by jim and adel
Dodgy first entry on a mobile device!

The knock on effect of this can often be that due to pro-rata holidays if you are constantly having to change jobs ,holiday entitlement can be effected very detrimentally.

I have experienced this most of the time I have been in Adelaide, due to job changes or taking casual work. Trying to explain to friends and family in the UK how the leave system works gets quite frustrating! When we returned to the UK last year for 5 weeks and I told them as a casual worker I don't get holiday pay, sick pay or public holiday pay (you get an additional casual loading on your rate, but this is questionable on some jobs) and so for 5 weeks I will not earn any money, their faces were a picture. The OH had just enough leave to cover him, down to the last hour and had obviously been accruing this for over a year.

Ouch!:

"From 1984-2014 about 80,477 Croweaters fled the state permanently. Most were in there 20s and 30s. On average, between 20-30,000 South Australians actually leave the state every year and mainly lesser skilled immigrants make up the shortfall. This has contributed to a raft of psychosocial problems, such as underwhelming leadership capabilities and the creation of regressive and under-performing organisations."

http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2015/01/19/sas-unmentionable-problems/

Some very interesting views in the comments following the article.

@

Ktee
thank you so much for your encouragement. Unfortunately, I don't have any job as it is really hard to find sitting in Europe. However, I applied for jobs via Seek but with no result even I don't get any rejection. I hope and really hope and will try my best to land up with job ASAP else
:))). I am bit worried mostly because I dont have any network and I think it is important to have network to get job offer. Many thanks!!!!!!!

There was a double page spread in last weekends paper about the number of young Italians arriving to work in Australia/Adelaide. There seems to be plenty of young Irish coming over as well, due to high unemployment back in Ireland and using the working holiday visa as a route to get into the country. One of the large construction projects in Adelaide had plenty of Irish working on it, many of them had left their wives/children in Ireland and were sending money back to them. You can't blame them for following the work, but there are plenty of people in Adelaide already trying to find work, is there enough to go round?

• 4 weeks later...
Sub Corp (ASC) laid off casual tradies just before Christmas and haven't brought them back. The person I know hasn't picked up any work since they were laid off.

My friend is now back at ASC as a casual after 3 months out of work. I suspect this will be the norm now, laying people off for periods, then bringing them back again until a decision is made. The problem is when they lay off a group of people at the same time, they are all then chasing the same jobs.