Any job, doing anything! Begging, on my knees!!!

Guest Deb17

Right, let me run down the list of options.

Re: Jo and Phil...I am actually registered as a teacher, but I'm a Primary School Teacher, hence no job! I've tried TRT work, it doesn't work for me! I get called at a time that wakes my husband up (he's a shift worker!) or it's too short notice (I also have my own kids to get to school.) Plus, it's not regular hours or a regular wage which is no good in the long term!

I have followed your troubles before and know that TRT was not an option because of the reasons you state again above, but surely now that your hubby has lost his job, you should be able to do some shifts as he won't be needing to sleep in the day, nd can help you out with taking the kids to school. Yep, the insecurity is not good in the long term, but if you need to put food on the table right now, it might help.

Claire's tip of the RDNS is good, hours are perfect for those with school kids. Wish I could go for it myself!

Personally don't know, as we are temp, but I think the family assist thing, or whatever its called should be processed fairly quickly and is a good sum, so that should help out, if it is taking a while, maybe phone and ask why, I had to ring them when my daughter was born and they were very helpful.

Wishing you best of luck in finding something.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Libby1971

Deb love, we have had this conversation before about teaching. You have got to accept that the only way you can get a long term is if you do some short term work and that might mean a day or two but until you have an Aussie teaching reference you are going to stuggle. Mind you, that might not stop the trouble either but the fact there is now no shift work going on means you should be able to answer the phone early in the morning with the OH doing the school run.

The suggestion about tutoring is a good one. There is some sort of advert I have seen in the paper which asks for staff to do tutoring with children.

Handling 30 kids mean multi tasking and you can and should put that as a transferable skill.

I wish you the very best of luck in finding a job

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Debs.

I hope you do apply to be a bus opperator (not called drivers here).

We could do with some more girlys on the road and the boss is a Scotsman not an Aussie.

Gotta admit its a lot more aggressive than driving in the Uk but also a lot more fun with the normal head-cases and drivers that like to have a laugh and a joke + we take the mic out of each other quiet a lot.

If you wanna put the hours in its possible to take home a grand a week.

Where bouts do you live as theres bound to be a depot near by.

Good luck

Matt

Guest Deb17

Right, thanks for the heads up Matt, I have downloaded the application form for bus operators. And having driven through the gridlocked streets of Birmingham during rush hour I'm sure I could handle any amount of traffic with great patience and fortitude. I lived four miles away from work and it took me 40 minutes to get there...:mad:

I have also printed off the RDNS application forms for Domestic and Home Support Workers...is there going to be a problem that the closing date appeared to be 4th March, or will they still take general applications? Don't want to waste my time filling it in if it won't be accepted now. :nah:

Libby, please re-read my reply...I have GIVEN up on teaching entirely now...there really is no point in me even continuing to pursue this line or in you trying to push me towards this as a goal...I have had so much hassle trying to do TRT that it just isn't worth it. As for hubby not working...luckily he HAS now found another position, but the hours are even worse than they were with Woolworths, different shift times and patterns...very difficult to try and work around that. And however long this job lasts for the wages are still not enough for four people to live on. Two and a half years of soul-destroying, scraping by existence on far less than Matt earns as a bus driver has left us with nothing, (no wonder I am jumping at that opportunity!) Like I said, I do not have any more time to waste on putting my all into trying to get a teaching job that just isn't there! Food needs to be put on the table and I've a 300 dollar leccy bill overdue...I'm waiting for the lights and the computer to go off, as I write.

Guest graandjac

"Australia has been built, in a relatively short space of time, by hard working people and it rewards it's tradies and other workers. It does not take too kindly to people who say "look at me, look at me - I was this, that or the other in a former life." Be fair to Australia and it will reward you, in return, 10-fold. "

This is the best quote i have seen :notworthy:

"Australia has given me nothing so far, all it has done is take. I appreciate that experiences are different for all of us, and I came here full of hope and with an open mind, completely prepared to take up another career, only to find that Australian employers are not as open-minded as the ones at 'home'. "

I think this is the mistake alot of people have made, i wanted to Change my career as do a lot of others ..........but it ant going to happen, you have to stick to what you know to start with at the bottom if need be, then and only then when contacts have been made and knowledge of our new country has been gained is anyone in a position to just change careers.

Guest cornish Busdriver

[quote name=graandjac;73961

I think this is the mistake alot of people have made' date=' i wanted to Change my career as do a lot of others ..........but it ant going to happen, you have to stick to what you know to start with at the bottom if need be, then and only then when contacts have been made and knowledge of our new country has been gained is anyone in a position to just change careers.

__________________[/quote]

G'day Graham.

I Kinda agree but disagree with you.

Anyone can change there career at any time of there life if there willing to take the risk and start from the bottom, hell ive been doing it my whole life but still havnt found one yet im totally 100% happy with.

I have trainned as a mechanic, i used to be a highly qulified welder and sheet metal worker until a nasty accident which blinded me for a few weeks, ive a 1st degree in digital arts and technogies / communications , now a Bus opperator end of this year im gonna apply to be a copper.

If people are willing to stay in the same line of work there whole life then personally i feel that they will miss out on a lot of experinces and limited themselves, but thats just my own view.

If Debs feels its time and want to change here career then i apllawed her for it.

Needs dictate what people must do.

On another point, all my fishing gear turns up end of next week so if you wanna get some hooks wet you got my number.

Cheers

Matt

"Australia has been built, in a relatively short space of time, by hard working people and it rewards it's tradies and other workers. It does not take too kindly to people who say "look at me, look at me - I was this, that or the other in a former life." Be fair to Australia and it will reward you, in return, 10-fold. "

This is the best quote i have seen :notworthy:

"Australia has given me nothing so far, all it has done is take. I appreciate that experiences are different for all of us, and I came here full of hope and with an open mind, completely prepared to take up another career, only to find that Australian employers are not as open-minded as the ones at 'home'. "

I think this is the mistake alot of people have made, i wanted to Change my career as do a lot of others ..........but it ant going to happen, you have to stick to what you know to start with at the bottom if need be, then and only then when contacts have been made and knowledge of our new country has been gained is anyone in a position to just change careers.

by same toeken though hun my other half wants to stay in the same career hes been in for 20yrs but isnt getting anywhere so has had to take a sidestep :wacko:

Guest graandjac

:)Yeh i know what you mean Matt and Clare, i guess that alot of people want a change and expect it to happen in a new country soon after arriving, but its not that easy and when things dont quite happen as planned they blame Australia..!!!.

We know that they seem to love a qualification out here, ive even seen "experenced trainees wanted" how does that work...lol. There is no doubt (in my mind anyway) it is the land of opportunity especially for anyone who wants to go self employed or set up a small business its just going to take 100% hard graft.

P.S not havin a dig at you Deb ..!!

This is something many of us may not think of before we arrive - the lack of available free childcare in the form of famiy that many of us had.

This can make it very difficult to get a job that fits in around your partner's hours. Deb, unfortunately you will probably struggle to train as a bus driver and get shifts that fit in with your husbands changing work shifts. Just at a time when an extra income would be most useful, you can't juggle the childcare, so it can't happen.

I don't think I could have stuck it out as long as you have with it being so crap, think I would be heading back to the UK. Good on you

Hi have you tried special needs schools??? they are always crying out for relief teachers and permenant and relief SSO'S? you can sign up for relief to as many schools in your area and close by as you want they will call you early inthe morning if they need you, the school i'm at has several in most days!!!!

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Foxy.

Yeah bus driving shifts can be crap but then again we are rewarded for it.

I still find it strange having air-con on a bus, passengers with the right money and the boss sends out ice cold drinks and ice creans when it gets too hot just to keep us happy.

The training its self is pretty much straight forward if you got more then 2 brain cells.

I was used to working 12hr shifts 6 days a week and only having wednesdays off in the UK and now i work a lot less hrs for a lot more pay.

Bus Driving is not for just anyone, you gotta have the right mental attitude for the job and just brush a lot of stuff off.

If Debs want to give it a go, i say good on ya girl

I didn't say she shouldn't go for it - indeed she should.

What I was trying to say is, looking at all the other problems she faces in her search for work, I don't see how it will be so different from any other job with differing shifts, if you can't fit in certain types of work because of a partner's shift pattern/school hours etc etc it can be really hard.

If as a bus driver you can train in school hours and work only school hours, yes it sounds a pretty ideal job to go for.

Guest Deb17

Thank you for all suggestions. The problem with fitting around shift work for me, is not necessarily the fact that my kids are at school, since they are 14 and 11 now...it is having a REGULAR shift pattern and decent notice for work. Although I live out in Aldinga and my kids go to school in Seaford they're old enough now to catch the bus to and from school. As long as I am on a regular roster and KNOW in advance what hours I am doing, that is not the problem. The reason why I could not get to grips with doing TRT teaching was the fact that I never knew in advance if I was going to be working or not, so I couldn't get organized...hope this clarifies the situation and makes sense to you all.

The comment about lack of childcare too is one people with younger kids should take note of. The reason I became a teacher in the first place was to fit around my family...hubby worked nights, I worked days and was always free during the school hols to take care of my kids when they were younger. We never had any family around to help us anyway, so we had to get this organized for ourselves, but a lot of folk who currently have family members to fall back on in the UK may find it hard (as well as expensive!) to find suitable, affordable childcare for smaller children.

Guest Deb17

Office experience? Not a fat lot actually. I did three and a half years as an admin assistant in local government, but that was 20 years ago, before I went off to uni! I apply for loads of office jobs and sent my CV to all the big agencies...I think my experience was too long ago for them to take any notice of it. All I get back from them is a standard rejection e-mail.

Availability and standard of childcare facilities is great, yes, depending on where you live. I still wonder, for people with a couple of small children, and who may be still on temporary visas, if the cost of full-time childcare wouldn't take up most of the wages earned...it could end up leaving you no better off financially to put your kids in a childcare centre.

I know what you mean about having a reular shift pattern Deb. For a short while I did agency nursing and had to just do nights because of that reason. I needed to know in advence so I could organise my kids, not find out at 5am.The agencies ahve changed now and tend to book the night before for an early. Just apply for anything that has vacancies. You never know where it will lead, plus you'll feel better with money coming in.

Office experience? Not a fat lot actually. I did three and a half years as an admin assistant in local government, but that was 20 years ago, before I went off to uni! I apply for loads of office jobs and sent my CV to all the big agencies...I think my experience was too long ago for them to take any notice of it. All I get back from them is a standard rejection e-mail.

Availability and standard of childcare facilities is great, yes, depending on where you live. I still wonder, for people with a couple of small children, and who may be still on temporary visas, if the cost of full-time childcare wouldn't take up most of the wages earned...it could end up leaving you no better off financially to put your kids in a childcare centre.

No good emailing them...you need to actually make an appointment and go in and register..... I can assure you they wont take much notice of emailed resumes...unless of course you are applying for a particular job and they are interested in you.

Of course most of them are in the city...so need to set aside a day..make a couple of appointments. They will test your skills etc.

Agencies kept me going in work for a good couple of years....all part-time work as well...in admin

MYOB is a very good skill to learn.......

I agree....childcare would be very expensive on a temp visa....

Guest Jo&Phil

While you said you had discounted a return to teaching ..... the hours/holiday/family-work balance may be more suitable for you than bus driving or retail work. It might also be easier to arrange someone else to take your own children to/from school than coping with the early/late shifts needed on the buses.

I spotted these ... you may have done so too ....St Peter's Lutheran want an Early Childhood teacher; Tabor want a Middle School Yr 7 teacher until early next year .... may be a bit older than you're used to but I'm sure you're more than capable of tackling Yr 7s!

Another thought I had was temp/casual admin work at Flinders Uni which wouldn't be so far to travel - if you look on their website there is a jobs button and they often have temp vacanices to help with admin.

Wishing you lots of luck - hope you find the right job for you

Guest katsmajic

As said before, its no good emailing companies or logging on their websites...you need to go knocking on their doors, chase everything. Nothing is handed to you on a plate, pop into foodland seaford...theyre usually recruiting and alot of the time the jobs dont even get advertised they go to those who go in chasing them...

Cafe Aqua (old cafe primo) has just opened in seaford, theyre recruiting, might be worth having a look for daytime/term time only hours?? mcdonalds/etc are huge employers of mums.

My lecturer said last week, as we are actually heading into huge unemployment, adult education is the safest bet for getting a job - everyone is retraining etc and the government are funding alot more courses.

Im doing cert iv in training and assessment, have a look at it, its 1/2 funded by the gov, ok it takes a year, but can be done alot faster online, and look at LL&N teaching for adults??? They are crying out for staff in those areas....:idea: and you can secure a job whilst doing the cert iv.

Good luck.

Guest Deb17

Re: the teaching positions Jo and Phil suggested. I know I could teach anything and anyone, including Year 7's, who are only the equivalent of Year 6 back home anyway, BUT there is a very real barrier in that once the TRB have registered you for a particular age-group it is very difficult to switch from one to the other! Also, religious schools that post advertisements generally require you to be qualified to teach religion, especially the Lutheran schools, and most also require one of your referees to be your current pastor/minister, to ensure you are a regular church-goer. As I am not in the least bit religious the only jobs I even stand a realistic chance of being shortlisted for are in government schools, and I am tired of explaining why it is so difficult to get a job in one of those...

One question too...what is LL&N teaching? Is it something like Language, Literacy and Numeracy?

Like I said, I don't realistically have the time to 're-train' now...need the money, like yesterday!

Good for you, if you can afford to be going to college instead of working. I would much rather have preferred doing that for the last 2 and a half years than sitting on my ass, but being on a temp. visa we couldn't afford it...

Temporary visas are the PITS in my opinion.

Like I said, I don't realistically have the time to 're-train' now...need the money, like yesterday!

Good for you, if you can afford to be going to college instead of working. I would much rather have preferred doing that for the last 2 and a half years than sitting on my ass, but being on a temp. visa we couldn't afford it...

I have to be honest and i am sorry if this causes offence.....but I am astounded that in 2.5 years of trying every possible avenue, you have not been able to get any work at all.

You are saying that for 2.5 years who have been 'sitting on your ass'......and saying that it is expensive to do college on a temp visa.

Did you try adult education centres such as Hamilton College? Courses there in all sorts of subject, including computers, word, myob etc........these cost $50 a term. I did many courses there in the early days ( 3 years ago) to improve my job chances....and I was never asked what visa i was on or asked to produce proof. Yes...of course with the likes of TAFE, UNI etc, it does make a difference.

What about self learning at home? You obviously have a computer...many things you could have done at home.......

The local messenger papers are always advertising courses.....did you ring these up and enquire about the costs?

I understand its hard to juggle work and kids.....i have 4 of my own...

Sorry...whilst i do sympathise ....I just find it hard to understand that after making every possible effort in the last 2.5 years ... it has led to nothing.....

How about doing a spot of voluntary work a day or 2 a week? I offered to volunteer for a charity in Adelaide before I came here in January and started at the end of Jan, I was in the right place when someone moved on and now have a job at the same charity which I started 3 weeks ago. It is not ideal for me as is only part time but it is money coming in and some Aussie work experience, I am meeting people and getting to know the workplace a bit better. If your office admin skills are rusty then I am sure that there are loads of orgs who would be glad of some free help in return for giving you a reference, would also add something more recent other than teaching to your CV if that is not what you want to do long term now.

Just a thought,

But now you got your PR, and are struggling for work, and also a lot of people seem to have a problem with childcare, why not apply for your ABN, and set up a childcare place yourself. You know how much other people are paying for childcare, so could easily undercut them, and plus i know that i would be much happier having a qualified primary school teacher (god your childcare anyway at school aint ya) looking after them?? This would then be able to fit in with hours etc. Think you'd also be surprised how esay it is to start this up. As a previous post has said, this is the land of opportunity if your willing to take it, and the goverment tries to help out as much as possible with people trying to start their own business.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Shaun

Its ok saying this now, but you must have known that there are things you can and cant do before you came here.....

I came here as a toolmaker in April 08......we WERE in deep demand....i have had....numerous jobs since being here 3 toolmaking jobs, dj job, and a roadie job i am currently at Bunnings Warehouse and am loving it!!!

The Bunnings job was very easy to get probably cos i am a tradie of sorts....

Sometimes you have to go out of your comfort zone to get somewhere in life....i did and found a job that makes me happy......but you have to keep a look out too you dnt wanna miss out on an opportunity....i always check the press regularly.