Any job, doing anything! Begging, on my knees!!!

Guest Deb17

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bodie

Hi. Just a quick note on teaching Religion. It appears to be completely different here than in the UK. Back there you need to have studied Religion as your main teaching area - here you just have to be free that lesson! Perhaps it's not quite that simple but you don't have to have an RE degree to teach it. I am currently teaching an RE class but have no formal training in the subject.

Tracey

Guest Deb17
Just a thought,

But now you got your PR, and are struggling for work, and also a lot of people seem to have a problem with childcare, why not apply for your ABN, and set up a childcare place yourself. You know how much other people are paying for childcare, so could easily undercut them, and plus i know that i would be much happier having a qualified primary school teacher (god your childcare anyway at school aint ya) looking after them?? This would then be able to fit in with hours etc. Think you'd also be surprised how esay it is to start this up. As a previous post has said, this is the land of opportunity if your willing to take it, and the goverment tries to help out as much as possible with people trying to start their own business.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Shaun

Shaun, no offence, but have you read the rest of my thread?

I don't have any MONEY left to set anything up!! And what help exactly is the government going to give me? :arghh:

I live in a RENTED house, so I can't work from home unless I apply to the landlord to set up a business in his house, and I don't think he's going to fancy a gang of small children putting grubby fingerprints all over his paintwork or demolishing his garden!

PLUS my husband works nights and has to sleep during the day...get the picture? NO CAN DO!

I did ask for help via the forum once again because I was desperate, and thank all those people who have put forward HELPFUL and REALISTIC comments...I am applying to Torrens Transit to drive buses, the RDNS and ARCS as a domestic assistant (cleaner), for all those people who think I am too proud. And I have applied to Bunnings, twice, and got nowhere with them on both occasions, good for you if anyone manages to get a job with them!

But honestly, why the #%*@ should I have to take this step backwards and study piffling little courses just to get some poxy job I don't really want to do? The secondary point to me re-opening my little box of tricks at this moment in time, was not only to try and find work I can actually do NOW, but to re-open the debate on just how difficult it is to find a job out here if you don't have the skills employers want. I'm not a moron, my qualifications bear this out, but they're not the RIGHT qualifications for South Australia, so prospective migrants who may be in a similar position to myself, beware.

I am quite prepared to do any training courses if I think they're going to lead me into finding a job I actually want to do...perhaps the problem is that there AREN'T any jobs here I particularly want to do...I'd just be cheating myself!

There are two schools of people who post on this forum I think - the ones who have supported me, basically to the point of saying 'it's the system that's wrong, why should you have to retrain when you're already an educated person?' and then there are the others whose opinion is that I'm a lazy, unmotivated time waster who should knuckle down, grovel, brown nose and waste my time doing the pathetic little courses equivalent to the BTEC I studied for twenty years ago! That's fine, you can think whatever you like, it's your opinion. But I know what I'm prepared to do and what I'm not prepared to do...maybe I'm having to do everything the hard way because I'm a person of principle, and I know principles aren't going to put food on the table.

But at the end of the day, whatever, I'll still have my self respect, because I haven't sold out and given up on getting a job I actually want to do and that fits my ability and intelligence!

Wow, you are really quite rude. Shaun was offering a constructive idea as have others on this thread and I think that shouting at him like that was out of order. Stamping your foot is not going to get you anywhere, it is certainly not going to get you a job.

I am not saying that your situation is right and that you have to put up or shut up with the situation you have found yourself in as it must be very frustrating, but you can only deal with how things are, not how you want them to be. If you get one of these jobs you have recently applied for (which I hope you do) then you will have the luxury of a bit more time and money to regroup and take your career in the direction you want.

Guest Deb17

I did say 'NO OFFENCE'. How can one shout on a written forum anyway? My use of the 'screaming in frustration smiley' was just that...venting frustration at people yet again not reading the entire thread. I am quite aware he was only making what he thought was a helpful suggestion.

As for 'stamping my foot', ha! I'm well aware it isn't going to get me anywhere but it sure as hell makes me feel better. Besides, the old timers on this forum are used to it and probably wouldn't expect anything less from me!

Guest katsmajic

Sorry but you know what....i have a degree too and i have 19 years experience in hospitality and yet when i was told i had to have a cert iv to be able to train here then i set out to go get my cert iv - which is way way lower status than a degree!!!!

ive gone backwards, workwise too, because i wanted a job, and a way into industry here. previously i was the training chef for the northwest of england for a huge chain brewery, i was the general manager of a chain of pubs....now im just a chef....am i moaning that because im in a different country i shouldnt have to follow their rules??? nope not me.:daydreaming:

so many people have made suggestions, and most of them made suggestions last time aswell - you have chosen not to listen or take any of the advice offered....the suggestion of voluntary was made last time - i mentioned it too, as that would have given you a foot in the door or at the very least a reference.

But at the end of the day, whatever, I'll still have my self respect, because I haven't sold out and given up on getting a job I actually want to do and that fits my ability and intelligence!

Im still looking for that job:D.................hasnt stopped me working for the past 25yrs though.:jiggy: Neccessity springs to mind, Onwards and upwards. Maybe ill find my job when im 60!:biglaugh:. Good luck and hope you find yours earlier than me:jiggy:

Guest Django

Its a new country and a new start. You have to prove yourself here. My professional qualification that cost me thousands of pounds in the UK hold no water here and I would have to requalify here from stage 1. There is no quick conversion course. This would cost. I have recently applied for a job a did back in the UK 26 years ago not because that is what I want to do but its a job in Australia. I doubt whether I will get it but I don't look at it as backward step. It would be daft too.

We all came here for a new life. 'New' means just that. New country, new start, new everything. As we are new here we have to 'start again' back to the begining, back to step one (for some) of our working lives. So what? we are here. We wake up to blue skies and colourful birds. We live within minutes of glorious beaches and the fruit here tastes how it should. I would much rather have a job sweeping the streets, cleaning toilets and wiping kids bottoms here than being stuck in the UK earning loads of money with a successful career.

This is the choice we have made and I don't regret it one little bit. Debs, you have made the same choice now go out there and get a job any job. They are out there. They may be doing crap things for crap money but its a start and we all move onwards and upwards.

Pete

Beggers cnt be choosers at the moment Debs...like you say your plight is sooo damn awful.

But with that attitude is it any wonder your in such cack?

Somehow i think food on the table is more important right now to you than job satisfaction....any money better than no money.....as for that dream job it.....if you find it let me know too.

that my bit over going to stop before i end up getting moderated.

I think the last time you had this discussion deb it turned into a heated debate also. While people on here do have sympathy for your situation , stamping your foot and holding out for a job which i agree for your standard of education etc should be available isnt going to happen. , at least not in the short-term .It isnt a personal attack on you as you may see it.

I can really sense your frustration but your getting into a chicken and egg senario. Until you face up to the fact that you either need to retrain or start from the bottom up you will still be in this situation come another 3 years time. I know some highly skilled people also in the same boat, its unfair, but whats the best thing , money for your family now, or holding onto misguided pride in the hope a job will miraculously appear.

I think like last time there have been some pretty good suggestions on here, maybe some you wouldnt ever dream of considering, but they dont have to be forever just to tide you over for now. Good luck with the job hunting, i really hope something turns up for you. :)

thats all i have to say x

Well maybe if you continue to sit on your arse ( your words not mine) like you have done for the last 2 years, then you will not know what is out there. If you can a ctually be arsed to research the option of setting up childcare, you will find that there is lots of help out there that doesn't cost much, and the goverment WILL try to help you all they can, but i guess from your comfy seat in your lounge room, you wouldn't know that. Oh and by the way, i take back my comment about rather having my kids with a qualified teacher, stuff that, if you got that attitude, i'd rather trust my 16 year old neighbour. Good luck with whatever you do, and stop using this forum as a place to bitch and moan about Oz. As the saying goes, we speak english, drink beer, and eat meat, you dont like it, go home!!!!

Just lost all my sympathy for your plight with your final few post as you come across as a spoilt child who thinks by being here this country should be blessed to have you. Yeah ok for me to say this, as i have a job, but i have to travel all over world and spend 6 weeks at a time away from my family in the middle of africa? Boohoo, woe is me? Nah, i get to enjoy the great place that Australia is, suck it up princess and bite the bullet, accept that your not the most important person ever to come to Oz, many people in your situation, and they just get on with it, and enjoy all this country has to offer without the bitching and moaning.

Sorry, but you've pissed me off now, so i'm going to sign off this thread

Guest stufi1997

Ok Deb, I'll join in afore the post gets closed...which it's inevitably heading towards....:biglaugh:

Have you thought about becoming a politician, you do like a good argument after all...or maybe a surf life saver...I can see you racing towards some poor struggling soul and you pulling them on to your surf board and whisking them to safety. pammie anderson eat your heart out:D

Seriously don't get yourself wrapped up into this whole thing again, it's not constructive or helpful for YOU. You know I love ya, now behave:p xx fiona

On Today Tonight (awful programme - sorry!) tonight they have talked about companies that are looking for staff - ok, it may be companies like Bakers Delight and McDonalds, but hey, I've done plenty of jobs in my time where I spend the time working out how much I'm earning per minute just to get through the day!

How about writing some articles about your experience and sending them off to a few publications? Getting some paper out and doing some art work, then having a go at selling it at one of the trash and treasure markets? There's always something, put the energy you're expending on this forum into something more productive - good luck!

Diane

Guest Lisajonesey
Its a new country and a new start. You have to prove yourself here. My professional qualification that cost me thousands of pounds in the UK hold no water here and I would have to requalify here from stage 1. There is no quick conversion course. This would cost. I have recently applied for a job a did back in the UK 26 years ago not because that is what I want to do but its a job in Australia. I doubt whether I will get it but I don't look at it as backward step. It would be daft too.

We all came here for a new life. 'New' means just that. New country, new start, new everything. As we are new here we have to 'start again' back to the begining, back to step one (for some) of our working lives. So what? we are here. We wake up to blue skies and colourful birds. We live within minutes of glorious beaches and the fruit here tastes how it should. I would much rather have a job sweeping the streets, cleaning toilets and wiping kids bottoms here than being stuck in the UK earning loads of money with a successful career.

This is the choice we have made and I don't regret it one little bit. Debs, you have made the same choice now go out there and get a job any job. They are out there. They may be doing crap things for crap money but its a start and we all move onwards and upwards.

Pete

Here here! Well said.. and inspirational too.

Can you go round and say this to my mother :huh:

We're fully prepared to do anything for beer tokens and keep a roof over our head, and it is scary, leaving a brilliant career and good pay.. but this is a lifestyle choice. I'm sick of working all hours for little respect and then to get home, in the dark and not be able to enjoy what I've earnt.

Starting again isn't so bad.. and to be honest.. doing a job with no responsibility for a while, until something else comes up will be fantastic!!!

I quite fancy selling hot dogs on the beach.. ketchup and onions anyone? :cute:

I quite fancy selling hot dogs on the beach.. ketchup and onions anyone? :cute:

:D oooh and a bit o mustard on mine please....

Think australian be australian was my way of thinking.....and i tell you what they have got a very good life out here....dnt hear them moaning about much....its all about work life balance and if you aint got work you have no life.....

But hey maybe we have all still got our rosy tinted glasses on...or is it we just get on with it !!!:)

You want handouts etc etc go back to the Wetlands :arghh:

Guest Jo&Phil

I appreciate your point of view ..... I had 2 degrees and a post grad Diploma but none of them was in adult ed .... which is a different skills et. I too found it frustrating that my other degrees were needed but not entirely valued ...... but having said all that .... teaching adults is vastly different from educating children ........ and training anyone takes different skills so having some training in this (and lovely that it's only at Cert IV to get in) helped me do a better job. I still gnashed my teeth ...but in the longer term I benefited from it.

Also...... you can do your training on the job and get recognition of your skills (Recognition of Prior Learning - RPL) much easier here .......

Anyone needing whole qualification recognition for their skills in Tourism and Events ............. I'm your girl!

Guest Lulujim

Deb,

I remember you posting about this before - and people gave put lots of suggestions then too. I have to say your title is 'Any job, doing anything..' but you have admitted yourself, your pride and prinicples get in the way of doing something that can bring in money as you see it below your qualifications and experience?

I have to say, if you have children at school age you already have child care sorted from 9-3, 5 days a week - that's a good amount of time to work in. Now I know you're going to say no job falls in those hours - but that's simply not true. Cafes, McDonalds, cleaning, shop work, receptionist, council jobs, nurseries, child-car centres, admin, libraries, etc.. all of my friends with kids work in these and manage to fit it around school hours.

If you have sat around doing NOTHING for 2 whole years - and would rather sell your car than swallow your pride - that's your choice. But I have to say I think it's not setting a good example to your kids, and your priorities are mixed up. I would rather scrub toilets than sit around without enough money to take my girls for nice days out etc.. I can't imagine telling them I haven't got enough money to taken them somewhere/meal out while I sit on my bum at home 5 days a week. :confused:

Yes, you have got your skills recognised and sponsored by Aus - but the fact is life ISN'T fair always.

As Claire said - either work in something that you class as beneath you (like you said 'Any job') and get an Oz reference and make some contacts to work your way up, re-train (maybe if you'd work in a cafe for 2 years you'd have saved up enough by now) or move back to the UK. Sounds harsh, but that's the reality isn't it?

I think you were very rude to Shaun - please don't be pedantic and say that using CAPS isn't shouting, it is when you read it, just as italics would read as emphasising a word.

Saying 'No offence' is also not a licence to slag soemone off and get away with it. It was a helpful suggestion - one of the many that YOU asked for, and you were extremely rude.

PLEASE stop whinging - it's no wonder the Aussies call us Whinging Poms. :embarrassed:

Alexis

Guest Jo&Phil

Don't get over worried about the 'religion' issue ....... from friends in this sector I understand that 'an commitment to blah blah religious beliefs' is generally translated as 'won't actually laugh long and hard during assembly' ..... they take what they can get for students and the same goes for staff!

I'm hoping that we non believers will soon inherit the earth anyway .......... and hopefully with lots of chocolate and champagne as a reward ...........no offence to those of a differing view point!