Snakes in a Park!

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

There have been quite a few reports of snake sightings recently.

I just read abut another one where 6 snakes were reportedly sighted in a park in Flagstaff Hill.

According to the report the snake catchers are forecasting a bumper season! They report that the earlier warmer weather is bringing them out and the catcher expects to catch more this season than he has done for the past 35 years.

In the 7 and a half years that I have been here I haven't had any encounters.

My OH had many experiences with snakes when he was fighting bush fires and some of his friends were even bitten but so far so good for me here! I also walk my energetic Boxer in on reserves and in parks...

Has anyone else had any encounters with snakes in Adelaide?

A friend at Hallett Cove saw a baby brown snake at one of the open spaces/parks at Hallett Cove. There was an article in Adelaidenow a few weeks ago that mentioned that there were also a lot of mice, so that is probably what is attracting them to. So a good time to clear up back yards and get rid of any mice problems.

Edited by Toni

Guest Claire-n-tel

I swear every spring since we have been in Australia I have heard that they are saying it is going to be a bumper snake year and that there are lots of mice around already and that will encourage the snakes!......

Any bets on how long before someone on the news tells us how bad the flies are going to be this year and how you can tell this by how many there are already up in woop woop :tongue:

I swear every spring since we have been in Australia I have heard that they are saying it is going to be a bumper snake year and that there are lots of mice around already and that will encourage the snakes!......

Any bets on how long before someone on the news tells us how bad the flies are going to be this year and how you can tell this by how many there are already up in woop woop :tongue:

at least no one has died from a "fly bite" Claire:tongue: You may have not seen one but they do exist and they pose a serious threat to people if they are caught unawares. I know someone who was bitten by a snake and they got very ill. It wasn't anyone's fault just people need to be cautious.

I like the article that Zebedee referred to. I personally have come across a few snakes when visiting various national parks and I always give them a wide berth. They are just as startled by us as we are by them but you definitely don't want to walk into one by accident.

Guest Guest75

It's a busy time of year for the young snakes leaving their nest.

They are looking for a home, very fast and very aggressive.

Up at our old place we saw a lot!!

We even had one in the house, he frightened the poop out of Mrs Tyke. He raised up to strike!!!

I'd love to see one (from a safe distance).

We live in the Eastern suburbs and my daughter seen a brown snake slither past right outside the back door yesterday just as she was getting ready to go to school. Snake catcher came and cost us a fortune as we sprayed the patio area as a deterrent to try and stop them coming back. Could not findbthe snake. We have a back garden with lots of trees and a pool and shade. Next door has fruit trees and 5 doors down has chickens. Snake catcher says they all make a powerful combination to make a snake want to stay!!!

Think my wife might be moving before the snake!!

On a serious note, it does worry me as any bite from a brown snake has serious consequences even with anti-venom widely available. And kids do not react in the way you would want to all of the time when they see a snake. Worrying times but we will get over it.

And let's not talk about red backs and huntsmen and white tails............!!!

It's common sense. Snakes are a valuable part of the food chain, just not a part you want in your life!

They've always been around the Aberfoyle Park area, and the dog park in question (Minkara) had snakes spotted last year too - but then surely that's to be expected given that it's in a fairly big reserve with a creek.

Take precautions, familiarise yourself with first aid for people and animals (this might help with the animal side lol http://www.vetwest.com.au/pet-library/snake-bite-and-your-pet) and don't panic.

I keep my fingers crossed too. It would break my heart if any of my animals were bitten. Oh, or the kids! :wink:

LC

• 1 month later...