British chippy.

Blossom

Guest Guest75

Yek - Blanched chips are orrib'e!!

Our family used Drywite regualrly - as long as not soaked in it for too long no harm done. Chips were rinsed as well.

I grew up with it and eaten more than my fair share of chips :biggrin:

Nowt wrong wi me............. he shares with his nervous tic on both heads..........:shocked:

The Drywite liquid used to be very potent though = 1000x worse than smelling salts I reckon!

Like a lot of things nowadays - over protective,over researched (it's on the internet so it MUST be true)

We chucked salt into the pan when we had to use new potoatoes as they never browned.

We fried in beef dripping as well, Craven Calvert's finest.................:biggrin:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yek -Blanched chips are orrib'e!!

Thereason being the best way for chips to be cooked is the way they did 40 yearsago and the way good Chippy’s now do them. Have you heard of twice cooked chips? The chips were cooked in hot oil for a few minutes and removed and leftin a stainless bin until an order was received and then would be cooked a finaltime thus avoiding the needs of nasty chemicals and artery clogging salt.

Our family used Drywite regualrly - as longas not soaked in it for too long no harm done. Chips were rinsed as well.

I grew up with it and eaten more than my fair share of chips

Nowt wrong wi me............. he shares with his nervous tic on bothheads..........

Perhapsyour heart and coronary arteries would have something different to say in a fewyears time from the long term fat, salt and chemicals you have put into yourbody.

The Drywite liquid used to be very potent though = 1000x worse than smellingsalts I reckon!

So hasthe mix has been diluted? Does that meanin previous years we have all been over dosed with chemicals in our food?

Like a lot of things nowadays - over protective,over researched (it's on theinternet so it MUST be true)

Yes youmay say it’s the politically correct gone mad but Tyke think about what youhave said and what’s happening in the community and why. Children are being regularly diagnosed withADD and ADHD now than when we were younger. Do you remember the prevalence of these disorders as I don’t? What I do understand now is the parallelsthat can be drawn between the amount of chemicals used in food processing andthe aforementioned disorders.

We chucked salt into the pan when we had to use new potoatoes as they neverbrowned.

We fried in beef dripping as well, Craven Calvert's finest.................

Beefdripping, salt a great mix for stroke, heart attack and a number of other healthissues!

Have to agree i personally think that the epidemic of asthma and allergies is linked to the garbage that is put in food nowadays.In addition of course to the behavourial issues.

My friend just cut fizzy drinks out of her son's diet and the changes in his behaviour were astonishing.

The use of so many chemicals is just in a lot of cases for economy,health seems to come a sorry second.

Not just artificial,even lots of natural colourings can cause problems and dont get me started on the horrors in air fresheners and perfumes.Ended up in hospital as a result of both.

Sue

Guest Guest75
Everything in moderation = no harm done! :wink:

As said above.

I suppose I am lucky genetically.

In my youth my body was a playground not a temple.

Approaching 55 now.

Gym 3 times a weeks , walk 4k's a night with the dogs.

No takeaways.

Drink my fair share of red wine.

Good cholesterol levels.

Last "inspection" showed I had the fitness levels of a 30 year old,

So perhaps lucky genetically and now moderating on intakes.

I do know a lot of folk are not so lucky ,but others seem not to bother with exercise as it too hard.

Everything in moderation.

I never manage to make good chips at home, no matter what I try. I think I'm probably using the wrong type of potatoes.

All chips are good, just that some are not quite as good as others! but without doubt the best ones are the ones cooked in pure beef dripping:notworthy:, and before any one goes on about heart attacks and the like, dripping and lard cook at a much higher temperature than oils, therefor sealing the food being cooked quickly and preventing too much absorbtion, this is as also championed by the 'Two Fat Ladies' and my mother (who cooks her chips like Diane's mother) my mother who is in her 80's (and the old man is still alive and eating) does all her frying in lard and of course her yorkshire puddings, and it's always butter on the bread. Niether I nor my 4 brothers/sister (ages 42 - 60) have any known cholestral/heart problems, so like Tyke we do not appear to have done bad on it, maybe a yorkshire/northern trait? or the fact that northern fish & chips are the best:tongue:

Agree agree agree, everything in moderation.

As said above.

I suppose I am lucky genetically.

In my youth my body was a playground not a temple.

Approaching 55 now.

Gym 3 times a weeks , walk 4k's a night with the dogs.

No takeaways.

Drink my fair share of red wine.

Good cholesterol levels.

Last "inspection" showed I had the fitness levels of a 30 year old,

So perhaps lucky genetically and now moderating on intakes.

I do know a lot of folk are not so lucky ,but others seem not to bother with exercise as it too hard.

Everything in moderation.

No takeways? Then get off this thread! :wink: