British chippy.

Blossom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it when I went, but I didn't have to queue. I only know two other people personally who have been. Both queued for ages, one gave up after 40 minutes and said they wouldn't go back. The other didn't like the food and won't go back.

Even as someone who did like it, it did annoy me that they have a load of stuff on the menu that you can't actually buy when you go in.

Their position is terrible too. I would be surprised if they survive long term, which is a shame.

I thought it was a huge success? Long queues and rave reviews.

It might well be (no odds to me), but I could never see it being huge success.....too much competition, poor location and limited target audience to name but a few reasons.

I've not seen long queues since the first fortnight, in fact last Friday night it was empty when I walked into coles and empty when I walked out.

Red Rooster went so many years ago that it kinda doesn't count but Pizza Hut closed really recently so you'd think that might be a bit more of an indicator. Particularly as it has similar businesses to compete with.

I haven't been to Blighty's as we use the chippy in the Village (yummo!) but I haven't heard anything good about it - except that they serve scampi?

On the other hand, I have heard a good few criticisms regarding customer service, high prices (although not using local fish might reasonably contribute to this) and small portion sizes.

I think most people would agree that the shop location is pretty poor, particularly for a take away. Most of the business that have used that site (over the last 8+ years anyway!) seem to have moved or closed down.

I hope they succeed, not because I know / like the place, but because the owners must have invested a huge amount of mone, dreams and hours and I'd hate for that to go to waste.

LC

We went there when it first opened and it was great...well cooked chips and jumbo sausages in batter that were to die for. We went again a few days ago and oh boy was it bad. I can only describe the jumbo sausages as being wrapped in a thick gungy pancake type mix..it was disgusting and went straight in the bin. chips were so greasey they were inedible. Curry sauce was yummy...but I suppose you can't go wrong with that! Very sad..as I thought we were onto a winner there!!!

Surely they would know that position and food quality/choice is key to a chippy. With good food a not so good position can be overcome. But not so good food/service and crummy location, might not work.

I hope it works out for them as they obviously sunk a heap of money into this. Perhaps its a case if trying to run before they can walk? Also I do wonder if having fish imported is actually a help or hinderance if they don't have stock in. Maybe that should be a special once a week or on weekends rather than all the time (if they are meant to have it on the menu all the time)?.

I do the demos instore at Aberfoyle woolworths/ foodland & coles and I have to say that this the hardest suburb to sample anything that is NOT "Australian made" "Australian grown" or "Australian anything" people in Aberfoyle are very passionate about this and I would be very surprised if they like having fish and other products imported...

I've tried it once out of curiosity. I didn't buy fish as looking into the counter the portions looked very small for the price. We got pork pie (which I've never eaten from a chippy before) steak & kidney pudding, sausage in batter, chips and curry sauce. It was ok but the chips were soggy and I like crunchy chips. The curry sauce was not like normal chippy curry sauce and had sweetcorn in it.

If it was on my doorstep I might try it again but it's not and I have Port Noarlunga chippy just down the road which is exceptional and cheaper. I go to the balti house on Goodwood Road as its exceptional so will travel for good food but not for ok food.

I've been to the balti house once and it was far below average, and they missed off my chipatis.

Curry sauce was always going to be a hard one, I know when I moved from southern England to northern England the curry sauce was different. The one they have is very similar to the one I would get down south, a tiny bit more spicy. I personally didn't get any sweet corn in mine, and liked it a lot. I do like soggy chips too. Yum. :-)

As the owner is a member of the forum hopefully they will pop on and answer your concerns and complaints and use it as constructive criticism.

I do feel sorry for them, it must have cost them a fortune to set up. I know from my time in Australia British chippies don't seem to have a healthy success rate. The ones in Melbourne closed down, the one in Cairns went back to using frozen chips and Spanish Mackeral in fact now the only difference from an Aussie chippy is that they sell mushy peas and curry sauce.

However, it seems Chumley Warners do well outside Brissy.

Look I've tried to be positive about this place having been an expat setting up a business before.....but this has the smell of struggling about it. When it first opened we tried multiple times but gave up queuing

I'm actually sat in the queue at the moment. All 8 of us but I've been here 40min and have only got a number, I now have to go away and come back when the order is cooked. . I ordered on entering but the order had been ignored until I paid some 30min later.

They are cutting chips to order, if your watching every spud then there are problems. No one is happy in the queue.

It's sad, but a business that treats customers like this is not going to survive.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I'm actually sat in the queue at the moment. All 8 of us but I've been here 40min and have only got a number, I now have to go away and come back when the order is cooked. . I ordered on entering but the order had been ignored until I paid some 30min later.

Hmmm.....never had that in a real british chippy! always had a 'hot cabinet' and were busy enough that fish etc was sold from that in just a few minutes and chips cooking all the time, one lot in the drainer, one in the fryer and one lot waiting to go in!

Come on Blighty's get it together, surely by now you've worked out busy times and could cook for them, our local chippy cooks to order and is always packed yet we've never waited more than 15 mins.

i think even 'if' the food was great an hours wait to get some fish and chips will send this place under.

Look I've tried to be positive about this place having been an expat setting up a business before.....but this has the smell of struggling about it. When it first opened we tried multiple times but gave up queuing

They are cutting chips to order, if your watching every spud then there are problems. No one is happy in the queue.

It's sad, but a business that treats customers like this is not going to survive.

You would have been in there at the same time as me! Can't say I noticed any groups of 8 though. We ended up being in there the best part of an hour. The food wasn't as good this time as last time, couldn't even taste the vinegar. And the wait was ridiculous.

Now, the one thing which did turn my stomach a bit, I don't know if this is normal or not... After the chips had gone through the chip cutting machine (not very 'hand cut'), they went into a big plastic container. The guy then mixed a capful of bleach in a bucket and tipped it in the water the chips were in.

I used to work in a chippy as a teenager, and don't remember bleach being involved.

No I was on my own,....just talking about the others waiting.

You may also have seen me twice, when I had to go back to get the fish that somehow didn't get included in the order.

Bleach !!! Are you sure? Why on earth would they use bleach

And if you love your chips, potato wedges, roasted petatos, and other frozen or ready to eat chips, you probably did not know, but yes, they contain bleach. The reason potato produce is bleached, is to maintain it's original color. In natural conditions, potato left for over half hour starts to discolor, going darker, until gets grey and ultimately black.This is why manufacturers use bleach. The only time you will not consume bleach with your chips and other petato produce is, when you cook it in your own kitchen.

Source: https://sites.google.com/site/ganodermareview/bleach-alert

Bleach is used in many foodstuffs including bread!

Guest Guest75

I have to say that it is not bleach,Blossom.

It's aproduct called Drywite - looks like a bleach bottle though. It stops the spuds blackening or browning in the air - similar to using lemon juice.

Have a look..........

http://www.drywite.co.uk/

I now have no affiliation to the shop but thought I'd point that out ( 3 generations of Master fish fryers)

It is supposed to help crisp potoatoes as well but there is high sugar content in the spuds at the moment so may be making them soggy. I

I used to chuck some salt in the fat to cure that prob.

It's aproduct called Drywite - looks like a bleach bottle though. It stops the spuds blackening or browning in the air - similar to using lemon juice.

Have a look..........

I now have no affiliation to the shop but thought I'd point that out ( 3 generations of Master fish fryers)

It is supposed to help crisp potoatoes as well but there is high sugar content in the spuds at the moment so may be making them soggy. I

I thought salt was the done thing. Did you still use the drywite as well? I use to date a lad who owned a Yorkshire chippy and never saw them use anything like that. But they would Blanche the chips first does that stop them going brown?

But they would Blanche the chips first does that stop them going brown?

My mum always used to do that - well, part cook them first and put them aside to dry a little before cooking them when we were ready to eat them. Blanching I guess is usually in boiling water for a few minutes, but she used to put them in the hot oil for a few minutes and that stopped them discolouring.

Please beware Drywite is a dangerous product for asthmatics to ingest, read on

DRYWITE Ingredient

E223 Sodium metabisulphate

Synthetic chemical

Preservative and anti-oxidant

Ingestion of sodium metabisulphate and other sulphites may cause gastrtic iritation due to liberation of sulphurous acid. Treatment of foods with sulphites reduces their Vitamin B1 (thiamine) content so that foods that contain a significant source of Vit B1 - meat, cereals, dairy - should not be treated. Known cause of food aversion and allergic skin reactions. All suphites may be dangerous to asthmatics. Not recommended for consumption by children.

Fresh is best and with those charges and queues for fish and chips I would expect the abovementioned product not to be necessary in the short term as they seem not to be able to keep up with their orders leaving little time for their product to spoil!

Interestingly the Drywite website lists a page of preservatives and additives. It's a sad indictment that supposed fresh food needs all those chemicals to make them taste and look good. I'd suggest home cooking as a far healthy alternative.

Have a look..........

The only reason I said bleach was because it was the brand white king. All I know that they do is bleach...

I worked in a chippy in the uk for 20 odd yrs and we never used anything to keep the chips white, we had large tubs of peeled potatoes out the back, when we needed chips we would put them into a chipper and fill a bucket, these would be cooked straight away. Nobody should need to wait an hour for fish n chips.