British chippy.

Blossom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this Chippy better than the one in Port Noarlunga?If so its one hell of a good one.Regarding the Pie comments,i find Balfours pies extremely average at best,and Villis tasty but often have vile chewy gristle in them(the hot Chilli one)Bakers are a much better bet,and BTW,most Bakeries here are outstanding IMO.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Its definatly all personal taste, orange spot in glenelg got voted the best pasties, again, i don't think they a that good, too much pastry not enough filling, i was on my 3rd bite before i found the filling!.....(although i dohave a delicate little mouth:wink:)

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT !

Travelled 30 min to try this chippy today and arrived to a busy shop, waited in line for about 15 min then placed my order....

"3 haggis and chips please".... Only to be told haggis Thursdays only! "Ok I'll have a black pudding"... Sorry Thursday as well!

"right well just give me 3 sausage and chips, small curry sauce and 2 cans of coke".Not much change from $35 dollars, I waited another 15 min, got back to the car and we all opened up our food to get stuck in...

Sausage shocking.... Chips soggy and greasy... Curry sauce good.... And coke good.

Needless to say I won't be going back on a Thursday to sample the haggis!

We had fish and chips back in the UK may be once a month and they were amazing compared to this place, obviously there was some bad chippys about and you find the best one you like. A real bad effort in my opinion and what makes me wonder if you check out there certification above the door it's dated January 2012 and a UK qualification! So have these guys even had a chippy in the uk or even know how to cook good chips ?

Well I know it's personal preference to taste guys and this is my opinion but I was really disappointed as was the other guys who ate with me, some of you may well love this but it's not for me.

"You can't beat Port Noarlunga for some good Ozzie fish and chips"

Rant over.............

Its definatly all personal taste, orange spot in glenelg got voted the best pasties, again, i don't think they a that good, too much pastry not enough filling, i was on my 3rd bite before i found the filling!.....(although i dohave a delicate little mouth:wink:)

Still on the quest for a decent Cornish Pasty - had high hopes for Orange Spot......but left semi-disappointed. Not a bad snack in its own right, just not a Cornish Pasty. Rhineland Bakery in town also claim to sell a Cornish Pasty but they are the shape of a sausage roll! Wrong!

Still on the quest for a decent Cornish Pasty - had high hopes for Orange Spot......but left semi-disappointed. Not a bad snack in its own right, just not a Cornish Pasty. Rhineland Bakery in town also claim to sell a Cornish Pasty but they are the shape of a sausage roll! Wrong!

Try Moonta (Little Cornwall)

I tried one from the central markets the other week, but do not recall the shop name, whilst still not quite upto taste expextations it was well packed with filling (they all seem to lack that peppery something) with the pastry more akin to a puff pastry so it was thinner and thus got to the filling quicker! still not worth a special trip just for a pasty! but stay tuned for the name of the place just in case.

Given up trying to get fish & chips in the evening - the long wait is not encouraging - couldn't they have a few cod, haddock cooked to save time? Find the chips tasted great but wrapping in paper to take home (only 3 minutes away) meant they were really soggy when it was time to eat them. Wish they had an 'eat in' area as I'm sure they would taste much better straight from the fryer!

Listen to you lot, mass produced pies, bakery pies, fish n chips, sausages.... Stop clogging your arteries and get something healthy to eat!

Who's going to start the best salad / healthy options thread? Lol

Too true! I often have a salad surprising how filling it can be.....................with my pie and/or fish & chips, makes me feel all good, especially with plenty of bread and butter! I do not however use a dressing on the salad, they are usually too oily for my liking, but the malt vinigar on the chips cuts through the grease, better not tell the wife that one or she will be wasting it on her floor cleaning!!!