What to look for in a home in Adelaide

etch123

Hi guys don't know if this has been covered before, but here goes...

We have seen a nice home on realestate.com.au in Port Noarlunga that we would like to rent long term and move into when we arrive in mid April. The agent obviously wants a close friend to inspect it on our behalf, So one my close friends in Adelaide will be doing just that this weekend.

What should we get in a 3 bed roomed 2 bathroomed home in the $350 range? for that price

e.g should it have air-conditioning in every room?

dishwasher?

I know this is not the ideal situation where we ourselves won't see the house before we sign on the dotted line but I would like to have the security of knowing we already have a home in adelaide when we arrive.

Would really appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Depends on the house really. A new build might have a few more mod cons than an older house. An older house might be more tired looking, have older fittings and so on.

I'd not expect a dishwasher but if one is fitted then great. Air con in every room, again depends on the house. Many rentals don't have any aircon or only in one room or a couple of rooms.

I'd be looking at a house with air con in the main living rooms and hopefully in the bedrooms, but check what type as the cost to run the different types will vary greatly. I'd also want a garden that isn't going to take a lot of water to maintain. I'd want screens in all the doors and windows. And a cooker in the kitchen of course. As to the price you pay, depends on the quality of the house really. A crappy run down place shouldn't be as much as a sparkling newly renovated house. Sadly many rentals are on the dodgy side and not the greatest maintained. Hopefully the one you are keen on is decent.

I'd just compare the house you like with other rentals in the area and go from that.

I'd be very nervous renting a house I hadn't seen, even if a friend had checked it out. For that price I would expect air con in every room, but not a dishwasher. I'd expect some sort of a garage or big shed within that price too.

It is a bit of a midway price though where you could get a great house, but there are also dodgy ones mixed in with unrealistic owners.

Depends on the house really. A new build might have a few more mod cons than an older house. An older house might be more tired looking, have older fittings and so on.

I'd not expect a dishwasher but if one is fitted then great. Air con in every room, again depends on the house. Many rentals don't have any aircon or only in one room or a couple of rooms.

I'd be looking at a house with air con in the main living rooms and hopefully in the bedrooms, but check what type as the cost to run the different types will vary greatly. I'd also want a garden that isn't going to take a lot of water to maintain. I'd want screens in all the doors and windows. And a cooker in the kitchen of course. As to the price you pay, depends on the quality of the house really. A crappy run down place shouldn't be as much as a sparkling newly renovated house. Sadly many rentals are on the dodgy side and not the greatest maintained. Hopefully the one you are keen on is decent.

I'd just compare the house you like with other rentals in the area and go from that.

Makes a lot of sense.

There are many pitfalls of renting unseen. The neighbours may be real undesirables! A strange aspect about Adelaide is that you can have real lowlifes interspersed with decent people...good roads, bad roads...you need to have a look at your neighbours as well as the house.

It's difficult to judge a house from the ads. They may advertise that's it's airconditioned but that may be one unit in the lounge! Winter is coming...heating is important and if it's reverse cycle the age of the unit has a lot to do with your bills with the more modern inverter systems being more efficient.

From correspondence I know that where your family will be playing (beaches) has a lot to do with where you want to live. JB makes sense though if you will be working north of the city as the commute will be excessive.

Be careful with the suburb name Noarlunga.

Port Noarlunga primary serves the Port Noarlunga and some of the Christies Beach suburb but there's Port Noarlunga South (5km away), Noarlunga (the shopping and medical precinct), Noarlunga Downs (5km away) and Old Noarlunga (10km away).

It might be worth your while posting a thread to see if anyone is moving / breaking a lease in the Port Noarlunga area and that way you should get some feedback on the pros and cons of their rental and location.

Guest wen66

Hey Etch1234, we, actually live in Port Noarlunga and my kids are at Port Noarlunga Primary School, which is a zoned primary. So if I can help with any queries, feel free to pm me. :smile:

Tamara has loads of experience with this area too.

• 2 weeks later...