Is anyone considering leaving SA?

keldaz

I totally disagree with the above comment. Deryans has made some valid points about adelaide. He probably got pissed off with wiping managers Asses. My apologise's for the vulgurness. Playing the Fool that Fools the Fool is my personal Motto! Adelaide is way better then London other then the work scenario.

No one is denying that this state is in a financial pickle and the economy is in a downward spiral. However, how many times do you have to repeat the same lamentable refrain over and over ad nauseum until it appears that this forum serves as a form of cheap therapy for him? Deryans posts have ceased to be helpful and serve only as vanity posts.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too right. Deryans needs to sort out issues with himself first. For such a 'mediocre' place as Adelaide (according to Mr. D) he couldn't secure any fulfilling work? It should have been easy for him then with his outstanding skill-set!

He didn't settle in Sydney, and originally left UK. Obviously he is looking for something that just isn't 'there' so has returned to the comforts of 'home'.

Mob out in force again today.

Not all bad though Abbott could be gone by tomorrow. Shame what will we do without knighthoods.

Bring on the republic ! and flag change like our neighbours.

Nope. Not the mob out in force. Just the voices of a few people who have moved here and made it work.

People who are fed up reading the same old lines from a disgruntled individual who failed to make it work for him.

Admirable that you jump to the defence of your master though Yodal.

2Q==

Nope. Not the mob out in force. Just the voices of a few people who have moved here and made it work.

People who are fed up reading the same old lines from a disgruntled individual who failed to make it work for him.

Admirable that you jump to the defence of your master though Yodal.

2Q==

Whatever, you are entitled to opinion, I couldn't care less. :wink:

Today is probably a good day for Australia.

I've found over the years that some people who return to the UK, particularly to London, criticise Adelaide in much the same way as Sydneysiders and Melbournians love to criticise. I've lived in London, Melbourne and Adelaide, and am now in Devon, but although I like London and Melbourne, I lived mostly in Adelaide. Compared with London it is more spacious, has cleaner air, easier traffic conditions and easier parking, and compared with other British cities it is very much smarter and cleaner. If I didn't have serious health problems at the present time, I would be back in Adelaide in a flash! I'm sure that 51 years in Oz has given me a good insight.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Why can't the truth lie somewhere between everyone's experiences?

From Deryans' earlier posts, it appeared he actually held some pretty good jobs. Adelaide simply didn't seem to offer him, and his family, all he hoped for so he returned to the UK. Sad, personal, and who really cares?

I originally thought his posts held some merit, but it now seems he's posting simply for a reaction. Which he gets.

I truly don't think you 'fail' if you go back, or 'succeed' if you stay.

:wubclub: LC

Strange how these threads seem to morph into Aus V UK. Recently we've been looking at some businesses structures/projections, it gives you great insight and answers many questions. Unfortunately this whole police state tick box nightmare, stifles innovation and creativity, very interesting process. I've always wondered why there are very few small to midsize businesses here, by the time the vultures have picked the bones, there's not much left. That's Aussie general by the way, not just SA.

Reading the thread 'Skilled Migration Should be put on hold' by Diane, couldn't help but notice there were plenty of negative comments on SA's economy and work in general. Anybody out there planning to bail out of SA and head interstate or back to UK due to this? Enquiring minds need to know (ok I'm nosey).

I would personally say that SA has been ok, but it's never struck me as a long term place. It's a little bit too insular and incestuous for my taste.

My old boss was back in Adelaide at the weekend and a group of us all met up. My old boss had been out of work for 6 months in Adelaide (works in management in an area that is struggling in Adelaide), moved to Queensland applied for jobs mid December (usually the worst time to try and secure work) and within a couple of weeks had a job. It was interesting listening to the group sharing stories of where we/our OH's are all at job wise (mix of professions, some running their own businesses and a mix of ages and skills) and without going into specifics it did give an indication that the past year has been tough for a lot of the group, some were doing well and others had secured work through their networks.

I thought the attached article might be of interest. Agile definitely seems the new buzz word at the moment. Our new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull mentioned it several times in one of his opening speeches.

Shift in Thinking.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I have just found your message, I know it's dated some time ago, but that's the time when we Ping ponged back the 2nd time to Adelaide.

And after a good 9 months of being there, hubby couldn't get the work he is trained to do. Adelaide has officially dried up! I struggled too and I work in health. I was lucky, but it was tough!

Because of the poor job prospects we decided to return to the uk Christmas (December 2015).

We love Adelaide, but the economy isn't great.

If your an engineer or work in health think twice. You may struggle in Adelaide.

Since returning - hubby in the first week of being here had an interview and got offered the job at the interview!!! He has had tones of agencies ringing him. He has had 6 interviews, 3 of large engineering companies! There seems to be no industry in Adelaide. Also to work for good engineering companies like BAE systems etc you have to have the blue passport etc...(oh there's no jobs there either!)

Me - I was luck that my old boss gave me my old job back, so pleased as the salary has gone up £2000!!

So, 2nd time round we thought we would be OK, I would get work and then so would he, but that didn't work out. We thought we just could not carry on living off one wage. Not long term, if you want to plan for the future too.

All im saying - be wary - do your research before coming to oz. We have tried it twice - and still the industry is rubbish. But hey, we have no regrets.

"Sunshine sadly don't pay the bills"

love, sunshinecoast

Reading the thread 'Skilled Migration Should be put on hold' by Diane, couldn't help but notice there were plenty of negative comments on SA's economy and work in general. Anybody out there planning to bail out of SA and head interstate or back to UK due to this? Enquiring minds need to know (ok I'm nosey).

I would personally say that SA has been ok, but it's never struck me as a long term place. It's a little bit too insular and incestuous for my taste.