Is anyone considering leaving SA?

keldaz

Clan Mac,

I am so sorry to hear that about your son, that is one of my fears about my children, I'm as tough as old boots, but even I found adelaide hard, read on and maybe you can explain to your son that it's not him, it's adelaide. I hope that my story below can somehow encourage him to stay tenacious and that everyone has problems here, not just him.

3 years ago, I left a very well paid job in HK with a just fab airline, to come back to a faux job in adelaide that went belly up, in a few months took me 6 months to land a role in the justice system (previously I ran a program in NSW so I had form :) ) In adelaide I ran and facilitated a number of digital evidence trials (i.e. criminal trials in the district jurisdiction using digital evidence - not paper) liaison across Police, DPP , Judiciary and defence counsel, (no sign of public servants in all this, far far far too risky for them to appear at something so radical, they all hid) I worked with a fantastic number of outstanding judicial officers in adelaide ( yes I know that some are a bit off, but the ones I met were outstanding operators) , developed a strong reputation for integrity and playing with a straight bat , I am compassionate and fair, I believe in training and nurturing young people to get the most out of them and I'm certainly not afraid to take it on the chin if I or my team make a mistake. This is actually what counts. I speak my mind and I stand by what I say and do because if you trust yourself and play an honest game it will pay off (except perhaps in adelaide)

I resigned from my job at courts after two years because lack of movement & understanding (they actually have no idea, but that's not their fault, they've never been trained, imagine trying to explain how an aircraft works to remote tribe who have never seen one, you get the idea) and organisation in the administration area was depressing me and underutilising and diluting my skills (I was lowering my game to meet the same level he public servants I worked with , that's the courts admin authority and the attorney generals ), I simply cannot drop my game and forfeit over 20 years of experience to be led by a fool, it is just not in my makeup, I ran a program of work in NSW attorney generals and was coached and mentored by the top judicial officers in the state, I met and worked with the then inspirational chief justice who was both at once, sharp ad a tack and wonderful delight and fun to work with, I similarly performed a role (underpaid and referred to as a "analyst" at courts SA) and knocked their socks off (yes I was good), the public servants could not get rid of me because by then I had a good reputation and was referred to as impressive by certain senior officers in both the Police and Judiciary but I have high standards and expectations for my self and my family, so I kicked it it to touch after two years and left.

I could have stayed, diminished myself and played the I have friends game (trust me , I do have friends), but I could just not respect the public servants I worked with, the are clowns to a man, myopic, lazy, arrogant, deceitful, untrustworthy and dishonest. These are not people I respect nor do I seek their company socially or professionally, nor do I wish nor suffer my children to become friends with their children as in general, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

By the time I resigned (to the relief of the public servants who hilariously just did not know what to do with me, no skills there to deal with it lol ) ,I was earning over 140K a year and doing about 4 hours work a week which is about the same amount of hours a director at the DPC, or AG does for their 250-300K pay packet.

That’s where your tax payers money is going, In faith I could not stand it as I felt I was underpaid!

Yes, rush hour in the tube this morning was absolute hell, god what have I left myself in for !!

Edited by deryans
update

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think moving somewhere to give our kids more opportunities is a mistake. .

I can't agree with that statement. If I'm in a place that is diminishing our capability, undermining our finances and eroding our ability to earn, then does that not impact our kids future more than anything else ?

I can't agree with that statement. If I'm in a place that is diminishing our capability, undermining our finances and eroding our ability to earn, then does that not impact our kids future more than anything else ?

This bit is about you. I agree entirely that if you are in this position then you should move out of it. However this is nothing to do with the opportunities your kids may or may not have in the future. I'm not very good with words (more of a numbers person) so I'm not explaining it very well but the point I am trying to make is your kids will find opportunities where ever you are if you are the kind of parent that shows them to go out and find the opportunities rather than expecting it to be handed to them on a plate. There is no one best place to be to give your kids the best opportunities in the future, especially in the global market place, and the place with the most opportunities will depend to a large extent on what it is they want to do in life. Our kids future is not based on the place we live but the attitude we have to life.

Nicf, that's understandable, I see the point you are making. as a family both mine and our own perspective and experiences, network and expectations are far far higher than what adelaide has to offer, and we have found adelaide to be insular, backward, myopic, extremely nepotistic, discriminatory and in some critical areas just plain incompetent. These attributes combined, make it an entirely unsuitable place for us to remain. Other posters here have mentioned that they agree with what I'm saying regarding some of these observations , I just hope some family in the UK planning to swap their 3-bed semi for a new life think hard and long about the risk they are taking, adelaide is no place to be on the lower socio-economic steps, you are placing your kids into desperate situation if you cannot find work in adelaide because the place is not thriving , in fact it's getting worse economically.

Australia is coming to the end of an unprecedented resources boom, a boom that has clearly passed adelaide by, and nobody asks why?

We have only recently arrived and to be absolutely honest the work situation isn't good. i understand that the employers here don't know me or my hubby from a bar of soap, but I swear if anyone else suggests a training course (costing a couple of thousand $!!!!!!!) i think i might do an incredible hulk! at the risk of sounding like a "whining pom" is it really that hard to understand that if you worked in a specific sector in the UK then your skills are transferable???? i mean surely a sales assistant is still a sales assistant wherever the blazes you trained? particularly so when there is no language barrier. How difficult can it be - be nice to customer, answer questions politely, take money ............. I agree the people are lovely, well mannered, polite and helpful. The houses are pretty swanky too plus great weather and awesome beaches. Trouble is I can't eat awesome beach or pay my bills with nice friendly manners. Unless you have a VERY COMFORTABLE financial cushion then I would advise do your homework regarding the labour market conditions here very carefully. Before anyone asks - no I'm not a sales assistant but my 19 year old son was in the UK. He could work here if we shell out $$$$$$$$$$ for a certificate that says he's a sales assistant so this is why is used this as a reference point. He has had rejection letter after rejection letter and I see a once confident young man demoralised and hurting. That is really hard to see. So my conclusion is this - make sure you do your homework or make sure you bring a hefty chunk of wonga to see you through.

Thank you for your very honest story, certainly gives us pause to think before commiting to where we are going to move to come the UK summer xx

You haven't been here too long clan mac and im sure that things will fall into place. I hope that they do.

I am just a working class pleb with no thoughts about returning to UK, none at all! I wish that we had moved out here sooner.

I know that its always been the case that many Poms dont settle here. Always has been and always will be. We are fortunate to be working and the family is real settled.

I had to shake my head deryans. A bright person like yourself surely did lots of research before moving here? I dont know whether its just me but your post came accross really arrogant. pity that Adelaide is not for you but am sure that someone with your skills will find something and somewhere that suits them. I hear that theres a job going in the states soon, private plane, helicopter, oval office and white house! Thats if you have 4 hours a week to spare?:biggrin:

All the best to you back in blighty mate. Each to our own.

I had to shake my head deryans. A bright person like yourself surely did lots of research before moving here? I dont know whether its just me but your post came accross really arrogant. pity that Adelaide is not for you but am sure that someone with your skills will find something and somewhere that suits them. I hear that theres a job going in the states soon, private plane, helicopter, oval office and white house! Thats if you have 4 hours a week to spare?:biggrin:

So glad it's not just me that thought this lol xx

For those who do there research and for no fault of there own it doesn't work I have full sympathy.

For those who think because they get a visa there should be a job but haven't researched there field, who come over without realizing they may have further training, who are arrogant as they believe they are better then the locals, I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Adelaide is s small place and whiners are whiners and chances are someone knows personally or knows of people that whine on a forum and chances are, guess what ? They are also like it at interviews, work, etc. always the hard done by, never any of there own fault that they never researched there opportunities so blame backwards Adelaide.

How much can you really research before coming over?

I mean, obviously you can try to assess whether 'your' job exists, is in demand etc, but how can you seriously judge things like the workplace culture?

Perhaps it's just me, but I had no problem with deryans posts; didn't feel he was arrogant in the least. To me, some of the comments have seemed like perfect examples of tall poppy syndrome.

LC

if you are the kind of parent that shows them to go out and find the opportunities rather than expecting it to be handed to them on a plate. There is no one best place to be to give your kids the best opportunities in the future, especially in the global market place, and the place with the most opportunities will depend to a large extent on what it is they want to do in life. Our kids future is not based on the place we live but the attitude we have to life.

:notworthy: LC

Just got back from the Gold Coast - haven't been there for over 5 years. Well the place is buzzing, the whole area seems much more positive and years ahead of sleepy old Adelaide. The contrast was very noticeable - to be honest I would happily move up there tomorrow - Adelaide seems so behind the times in comparison. There seemed to be more young people around too.

Just got back from the Gold Coast - haven't been there for over 5 years. Well the place is buzzing, the whole area seems much more positive and years ahead of sleepy old Adelaide. The contrast was very noticeable - to be honest I would happily move up there tomorrow - Adelaide seems so behind the times in comparison. There seemed to be more young people around too.

Well they have just got the trams going on the Gold Coast, remind me now, how long Adelaide have had theirs?

Gold Coast is also ramping-up for the Commonwealth Games, and from this mornings news, maybe, along with Brisbane, the 2028 Olympic games. But I must admit that the GC is not as sleepy as Adelaide, but then that is what makes Adelaide, Adelaide does it not.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

a simple look at the carousel at semaphore beach (walk inside and examine the walls) and you will see what the adelaide tram system used to be and compare it to what it is now.

Backwards does not even come close, the place is closed. Myopia and financial decrepitude.

why does the tram stop outside the entertainment centre, the centre verge almost goes all the ways to Port ? Why not stick tracks on it ?

no, some clown in public sector will say no, what a joke...........

why does the tram stop outside the entertainment centre, the centre verge almost goes all the ways to Port ? Why not stick tracks on it ?

no, some clown in public sector will say no, what a joke...........

Er that happenbed back in 2012 and 2014 I thought. State budget and all that.

Along with cycleways and other things.

I get you have a beef with certain, perhaps lots of things, to do with living in Adelaide. Fair comment. Each to their own. It wasn't for you for the reasons you have stated. It suits others for their own personal reasons. No right or wrong in it, its personal choice. I respect that. I don't agree with all the points you've made, some sure, but nowhere near enough to make me despise or dislike living here, resent it or to not want to bring my family up here. I'm not going to argue the toss about it on a forum either as I honestly don't have the issues with this city that you do and I doubt either of us will budge on our way of thinking :)

No feelings of wanting to leave SA here. Our quality of life here far surpasses that of what we had in the UK, I miss family but that really is it. Maybe my needs are just quite simple, or I've been lucky with work, or a bit of both but as we hit our 3rd year anniversary I am more convinced than ever we made a good move. It's not perfect and some of the attitudes are interesting but nowhere is perfect. It wouldn't surprise me if my children move away to seek bigger opportunities, be that in Australia or Europe/UK but that's all part of the fun of life.