Struggling to find a job....

Growler

Hi all,

I'm currently working as a hairdresser and after being treated like S**t by employers have decided to try and get back into office work. I have UK experience and no matter how hard I try or how many times I apply I get nothing......Seriously feeling down right now. I have even thought about volunteering on my day off to try and get something Australian on my CV. I have years of experience and I am so capable and fantastic with people I just feel sending a CV and a cover letter is getting me no where. Seriously hate my job so much i cant bare it. I know im lucky to have a job but desperate to have a job where I dont feel sick about going to work.....

Any advice would be welcome.......

I'd say don't just send cover letters and CV's - especially if you're great with people, pop in with your application or phone and show off those people skills. Most job ads get hundreds of CVs and cover letters and very few stand out. If you put your face/voice to your name and make a connection, you have a much higher chance of getting to the top of the pile and actually having your application considered. Sorry you aren't happy at the moment - having a job where you feel sick going in sucks :(

Sorry to hear your situation. Your mental health is most important and this sounds like it is not doing it any good. I presume you came here for a better life. This does not sound like a better life.

Admin jobs are extremely difficult to get here in Adelaide and locals will always come first. Personally I would not waste your energy unless you can network well or have good Aussie experience. It is who you know what you know here so do not be hard on yourself. People are thankful for any work at the minute and I seen some bad treatment of employees here as employers know the situation and often abuse people here and treat them like dirt. Not all but I have seen plenty of it.

If you really want an admin job move to one of the two big cities, that may not possible depending on your situation. However as the previous poster mentioned networking seems to be the only answer to get admin work here if you don't have Australian experience.

As the previous poster said pick up the phone stick your head in the door.

In my book you have 4 choices

1 - move to Sydney or Melbourne perhaps Brisbane

2 - jump ship and move to somewhere in your current line of work and hope they treat you with more respect

3 - stick it out and train in something like aged care where there is plenty of work in Adelaide and you can get trained reasonably quickly

4 - get a job in Coles or Woolies or Bunnings

None of the above may sound great

But maybe better to do 1, 2, 3 or 4 before you find yourself walking out of your job one morning or it really starts to effect your health, relationships etc. Then things will be a lot worse.

I wish you luck.

Edited by yoda22

Could you consider temping or casual work? I know of many cases where fixed term and continuing contracts have gone to the person already doing the job as a temp or casual employee. Once in an organisation as a casual employee you then get to find out about other, more long term positions that you can apply for. Often a fixed term or continuing job will already have someone doing the role as a casual or temp and they are likely to be considered first unless the company don't like them. It is really difficult to get any job where lots of other similarly qualified people are applying and you need to make your CV and covering letter really stand out from the crowd. Make sure you get someone you know to read your application before sending them in. And make sure you are tailoring your CV and covering letter to each role. If there is a list of criteria for the job addressing each one clearly with examples of how you have met them will also help. And calling in person, as Soo suggests above will also help your application to be noticed.

Hey Growler, not a nice situation to be in, it's very difficult to change your circumstances when your out of the loop with no contacts. If it's any consolation you are not alone in having big work issues, we don't know a single person for whom work here has been plain sailing. We had some friends over recently and the husbands personality had changed markedly, used to be the life and sole, now quite withdrawn and looking ill, all through work related issues similar to you've described.

On the advice front tricky, if your looking to dump hairdressing, I think you may have to go down the Temp route, if you can afford to of course. We only really know one office worker who got her current full time role by temping through an agency, happy to get Mrs keldaz to facebook her and find out which one, if that's any help.

No job is worth your health!I quit my fairly high profile job back at the beginning of this year.Spent a week thinking "**** what have I done"?Joined an agency,and got a job the following day.Totally unrelated to what I was doing,but I am more than happy.I am in the UK though,but I'm wondering if you tried the same thing?Be flexible to what you'd do,rather than sticking to one profession.Atleast it would get you out of your present job,and who knows,you might even like agency work?? Someone suggested mobile hairdressing,which I think is a fab idea.My Mum had a M/H,and the lady was turning work away!You'd be your own boss and could pick/drop work to your liking.I'm guessing you have access to a vehicle? Whats crap about your present job?Are you in a union?If so,might be worth getting in touch with your local rep for advice?

If you aren't getting any interviews I'd say the issue is your CV. The majority of people have terrible CVs according to a few friends who work in HR. I know my own was certainly awful until I had it professionally done. This was back in the UK but I have used the same (updated) template which got me the two jobs I wanted here in Adelaide. My husband also used it, scoring him his first job here from the UK and more recently, his new job having been made redundant earlier this year. He also scored another 4-5 interviews with that CV - in IT - another difficult jobs market here in SA.

Another thing people fail to do well is address the job person specification and demonstrate how they are able to meet it. With hundreds of applications, they aren't even going to bother checking the rest of the application if you don't make it obvious that you can fulfil the role. Applications are difficult - it might be worth getting some professional advice xxx

Also follow up, I applied for my job and after a few weeks I'd heard nothing, I found the name of the director of the position and sent a follow up email with a bit of blurb in it. I got a call from hr the next day with an interview time.

I'm pretty sure I'd never have got that without chasing up.

My step daughter applied for Starbucks and heard nothing, we told her to ring the manager and follow up, that also worked.

With so many applications it's the little things that help you stand out.

Hey Growler, not a nice situation to be in, it's very difficult to change your circumstances when your out of the loop with no contacts. If it's any consolation you are not alone in having big work issues, we don't know a single person for whom work here has been plain sailing. We had some friends over recently and the husbands personality had changed markedly, used to be the life and sole, now quite withdrawn and looking ill, all through work related issues similar to you've described.

On the advice front tricky, if your looking to dump hairdressing, I think you may have to go down the Temp route, if you can afford to of course. We only really know one office worker who got her current full time role by temping through an agency, happy to get Mrs keldaz to facebook her and find out which one, if that's any help.

Spoke to the brains of the outfit (ie Mrs keldaz) and she informs me that although our friend started out working for an agency temping, the full time job she currently has stemmed from a random conversation on a BUS!!! Go Adelaide, YOU RULE!!!

Hi everyone thanks so much for your replies. I am having my Resume rewritten and yes I have contacted Temping agencies who are telling me they are having 200-300 people going for each job some have a degree..... Ive also applied to coles, woolworths etc and have been turned down. So i will persevere......

Thanks again x

In order to be successful as a candidate at coles, woolworths etc as a check-out clerk or filling shelves you will need to obtain at leats a certificate II in retail!!!

I found out the hard way myself thought I had gained overseas retail experience but Aussie retail employers are keen on Aussie certificates and don't accept 'foreign' papers (tafe offer these kind of courses, was under 'skills for all' and free of charge in the past) and also your age is important.

Age, why is my age important you'd ask? Well, because many students and minors work in that sector and employers don't have to pay the minimum wages as minors will be paid far less than adults in the same position!

Ridiculous I know but it's true you need a certificate II in retail services code: SIR 20212 unless you have connections in retail here.

Otherwise you won't be employed for 2 reasons.

First of all, they have hundreds of applicants and secondly, if you're unexperienced in that sector why should they employ somebody without a certificate when they have enough applicants with that necessary papers and proof of retail experiences.

Many staff in retail also have a certificate III, mostly permanent employees.

Hi Growler,

It's pretty grim out there jobs wise. I'd advise sticking it out with this job you've already got until you've got something else lined up. Being unemployed is usually more of a downer than a rubbish job.

I think random office work is pretty much impossible though, unless you know someone. Like you, I've been round temp agencies looking for random office work and got told the same thing about the 200-300 applicants. I don't even know how they'd pick who to interview. Maybe they just shuffle the pack of CVs and pick a couple out. I can't see how anyone can get a job under those circumstances unless you know someone on the inside or you can type a million words a minute or something.

It's a far cry from my temping days back in the UK. I just used to walk into a temp agency, say I was looking for work, and they'd usually have something for me within 48 hours. Took it for granted at the time. I guess when the job market is bad, like it is in Adelaide, low skill jobs just get inundated because they're the jobs pretty much anyone can do.

I suggest doing a course or doing some training. Something to give you an edge. If you've got something to work towards and focus on, maybe that would help you ignore the grief at work. I've been looking for work for 10 months. When I'm not applying for jobs, I'm studying for certifications. Also I got my CV professionally done. I got no response at all using my old UK CV. Not a peep. With my new fancy pants Oz CV, at least I get call backs, and the occasional interview.

Good luck!

Certifications for supermarket jobs. Ha ha ha. What a joke.

You still need references even in retail. In house training will be provided after successful employment, code of conduct and the usual WHS stuff as well.

Often students work in supermarkets and by word of mouth advertising one mate gets the other in. Working in supermarkets are also high sort after jobs for people who don't mind weekend work, shift work and it's offers flexibility like no other job and that makes it so attractive for students, young people, mums with toddlers etc. Just look around who is serving you at the check-out. Employers can really cherry-pick.

I was in the same situation like many here and struggled to find a job in the beginning and therefore outraged after this certificate issue was brought to my knowledge because I couldn't imagine myself that in order to refill shelves you'd need to obtain a licence/certificate!

To work as a cleaner you need at least a police clearance, experience and if you can references as well.

I would also suggest to some courses, certificates under the 'job ready' or 'skills for all' program, some sort what ever helps you to get a foot into the (job) door! Often tafe lectures/trainers can be used as a reference and that would also assist you as the employer can ring somebody to ask what kind of person you are.

Edited by Rabeah

To work as a cleaner you need at least a police clearance, experience and if you can references as well..

Pretty soon, in South Australia , you'll need a certificate to breath, because the thousands of public (and I hesitate to use the word servant) clowns, need to justify their existence , and when you have the bottom of the pyramid all looking for work, someone spots a revenue opportunity.

I have to admit, having worked in supermarkets as a student, it does appeal to me as a retirement option, but since there will be thousands looking for the same job in adelaide, I wonder how most will fare......... It's concerning.

Pretty soon, in South Australia , you'll need a certificate to breath, because the thousands of public (and I hesitate to use the word servant) clowns, need to justify their existence , and when you have the bottom of the pyramid all looking for work, someone spots a revenue opportunity.

I have to admit, having worked in supermarkets as a student, it does appeal to me as a retirement option, but since there will be thousands looking for the same job in adelaide, I wonder how most will fare......... It's concerning.

That's not just SA - that's the modernised global world, and you won't find a better example of clowns trying to justify their existences than in London. Automation, computerisation and the explosion of technology are meaning less and less real jobs day by day. You just have to look the world over for the amount of non-jobs, in my line of work, IT, there are more "facilitator" type roles than they are dudes actually producing any meaningful results. With IT now a service industry my job role is looking like it'll eventually evolve into "vendor management" - oh yes, another non-job and I'll be finding ways to justify my existence for sure. And I'll bet money that most other industries are going the same way. There are strong predictions that the whole concept of a job will eventually be a thing of the past so maybe collecting certificates will be a nice pastime as our daily food is delivered by driver less vans.

Oh and Adelaide starts with a capital A.

There are a few admin vacancies on the professional staff vacancies list at Flinders uni at the moment. If you apply for those, take the time to write a short, concise response to each of the criteria and give an example for each. Good criteria responses when you go for specific vacancies can really make your application stand out.

http://www.flinders.edu.au/employment/vacancies/general.cfm