Travel times to CBD

Guest Edvaldo

Guest Edvaldo

Hi,

Could those who have made the move please list the area they're in and then the amount of time it takes you to get to the CBD by whatever transport you use. If there is any rush hour effect, that'd be great to know too. The point behind the question is to let people know what areas they could live in based on their personal maximum travel time assuming they'd work in the CBD. I look at google maps etc but the times quoted for the distance seem a little large. Is it that slow?

Cheers,

Edvaldo

I'm in Highbury in the North East - peak time to the City is about 30 minutes by car, or 10 mins to the O-Bahn interchange and about 10 mins from there into the city centre. Off peak, about 20 mins by car, about 15mins door to door on the bus via the O-Bahn (not affected by traffic most of the way as the busses run on rail-like tracks almost all the way in).

Bear in mind that Adelaide is the city of traffic lights, and they are extremely strict about speed limits here, hence why it might look like not very far on a map, but once you've caught a red light at every single junction, your travel time soon mounts up!

I live about 3kms to the city (Goodwood) and some days by car I can get in between 5-10 minutes. But if there is an event on as there invariably is (in warmer months) it can take 30 minutes by car as the traffic banks up. Bus is usually quite quick - 5 minutes to 10 minutes maximum. I have two options of buses and the King William Road one is the quickest. The Goodwood road one can add another 20 minutes. The Tram is theoretically quicker but on the way in to work it is so full.....incredibly so that you are squeezed in like sardines.....and sometimes they bypass you so it can take longer.

Hi, im in wattle park/ stoneyfell............about 8km east of the CBD

At schools times (8am till about 9am) The bus takes about 20-30 mins and gets a bit crowded, standing room only from the parade at these times.

driving in can take anywhere between 10 and 30 mins, because of the school traffic, Britannia roundabout, is a nightmare..........

Good thing is at peak hours the traffic lights seem to favour city bound or back again, whichever way youre going.

Festival times are a pain in the proverbial, clipsal, womad, fringe festival to name but a few; but 1 month a year isnt such a trauma really!

Hope it helps.

I'm in Glenelg, drive into the CBD is about 15 mins off peak and up to 50 during peak times (usually 35-40), tram is about 40 minutes into the cbd and buses much the same as driving. However I don't work in the CBD so don't have to sit in that peak time traffic... and outside of work I can walk (usually involving the beach) to everything local.

Hi,

we currently live in brighton, oh catches train at 7.50 from brighton train station. He gets into work by 8.30 with a ten minute walk, so about 30 mins max by train. Its lovely in brighton.

Guest BurgessFamily

Live in Christie Downs, work near junction of Greenhill Road/Unley Road. Leave home about 7.55 and get into work around 8.40 (assuming there isn't the usual crash on the expressway). Leave work about 5.20 and get home about 6.10 ish.

Im down in Seaford Meadows and work north of the CBD but go through it every day

10 mins home to Noarlunga tram station

40 mins ish tram to CBD

15 mins wait for connecting train

20 mins up to Mawson Lakes

Return journey really depends upon the time i leave work

Sometimes the express train CBD to Noarlunga can take 30 mins, sometimes 45. BUT if for any reason they have delays (latest excuse is lack of staff) this can take longer, much longer, it has a coule of times taken me 3 hours to do the same trip on an evening due to breakdowns, cancelled trains and not sticking to the timetable (with no reason). They wonder why people drive to work instead of using the train.

Leave Aldinga about 6.55am in Victoria Square for 7.35-7.40am via Expressway, Goodwood Rd, Greenhill Rd and then any road in after that. Return 5.15pm via Duthy Street, Mitcham and Expressway arrive Aldinga approx 6.05pm.

Times work pretty much regardless of what's on - takes about 10-20mins longer if expressway closed.

• 1 month later...