Some regular posters missing ?

minty

Guest ladyarkles

I'm a fairly new member here, and as such don't really know anyone.

However, I read PIA on a daily basis and have found a lot of good info and encouragement from my visits.

Because I am so new to Adelaide, I don't really bring much to the table other than a few observations and the odd question. (Hopefully not too odd!)

In my "other" life I am a super-administrator of a large (250,000+ members and 100+ staff) community that deals with some really sensitive stuff.

I spend a lot of time battling and putting out fires in that space therefore it is nice to come here and not be jumped all over.

No-one likes a moderator/admin, as anyone that has done the job will testify; but if you have ever participated in a forum that has little or no moderation, you will understand why your Mods do what they do for the good of the community.

The cycle of on-line life is such that people come and go as they need you, occasionally pop back to say "Hi!" or disappear into the sunset.

It doesn't really matter why people move on as there are always new folks looking for support and information.

This is a super forum, very friendly and with a focus that is quite unique.

I like it here very much and I hope to keep contributing when I have something worth sharing.

~ Rachel

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DanandJanna

Not sure what you mean thebacons, clearly you think i have 'jumped' into a conversation i had no right to, is that because you don't like my opinion? You were asking why people don't post on here anymore, i wonder.

As far as the forum being a community i get that but it hadn't really crossed my mind before it was spelt out, we haven't joined a forum before so its all new. The idea of chewing the fat with people online is a foreign concept, we have made some great friends through this site but we catch up in person rather than talk online. I guess everyone uses the site for different reasons.

Not sure what you mean thebacons, clearly you think i have 'jumped' into a conversation i had no right to, is that because you don't like my opinion? You were asking why people don't post on here anymore, i wonder.

As far as the forum being a community i get that but it hadn't really crossed my mind before it was spelt out, we haven't joined a forum before so its all new. The idea of chewing the fat with people online is a foreign concept, we have made some great friends through this site but we catch up in person rather than talk online. I guess everyone uses the site for different reasons.

I agree, everyone uses the site for different reasons and there is nothing wrong with that atall.

Dont think you "jumped into" the conversation either, its a free forum and everyone should be able to have a say and show there opinion no matter what it is. it just made me laugh that the things you posted about - people being negitive, not liking what others say, ect you did in your post. a bit ironic :confused:

Its good you can catch up in person with people :) Just for someone like me, that isn't possible at the moment. I'm in the UK still. And people I might like to meet here are actually living pretty much the opposite side of the country so its not really feasible to meet up with them or get to know them in person.

Many people also just like to pop online here for half an hour, post the odd thing, natter and nip off. And you can't get to know everyone personally on here, so you form a group of friends in real life and in person I would guess and the rest remain online via here or elsewhere perhaps. And maybe the occasional meet up thrown in.

Forums are fluid things and some of us have been using them for years now. I have been for well over a decade. Goodness knows how many forums I've posted on :unsure: So am well used to how things work, the chit chat and knowing that you can also form online friendships that can often become RL and in person, but often remain just online for whatever reason. I get just as much out of those as I do in the face to face ones.

People do have different ways of using forums. What works for some won't for others. There is no right or wrong way. I personally would like to see a few more people chit chat about stuff but there, it doesn't happen as much, I think just because its a quieter site, slower footfall and all that. But it doesn't change things for me in terms of me not posting. I've just adapted. I pass by the stuff that doesn't appeal to me, don't mind it gets posted and focus on the stuff I can reply to or want to chat about.

It's definitely the way things are going these days: I meet more and more couples now who have met online, often from completely different countries, which I think is lovely - fate doesn't always put your soulmate in the same country as you! I also used to use a chat room in the UK, rather than a forum, but I had some fantastic friends on there, most of whom I never met in person, but who were so supportive or each other - for example, one of those found she had quite an invasive form of cancer just before a Robbie Williams concert she had tickets to, so couldn't go, and so many of her online friends (including me I must admit) phoned her from the concert so she could listen to him live over our phones instead. These days just because you might never meet someone face to face, doesn't mean your friendship is in anyway a lesser thing.

My mum - who is NOT computer literate in any way, bless her, at 80 years old - told me it cost her 27 pounds (sorry no pound sign!) to post her Christmas cards this year - I've hardly sent any! Partly because I'm mean, but partly because with forums (forii?) and email and facebook, bits of posted cardboard seem a bit old hat these days!

It's a changing world, for better or worse, but I know for a lot of people PIA is their first foray into the internet community, so it's quite nice that it's a bit quieter sometimes, and peopled by a mix of old and young, new and old.

I wonder if there are any couples on here that have met through PIA?

Guest BackToAdelaide

I'm a member of both PIO and PIA and I confess I've hardly posted since we arrived in Adelaide. I started with good intentions but after posting an arrival report on PIO and getting almost no responses or thanks I was so disappointed I (perhaps childishly) have pretty much stopped posting on either site and didn't even put the arrival report on PIA. I'm afraid lack of encouragement scared me off.

Guest DanandJanna

I also mentioned people on here not being able to take criticism and conversations descending into pointless finch for tat (using finch as clearly *** is too offensive).

Thanks for illustrating my point thebacons:xmas15:

I'm a member of both PIO and PIA and I confess I've hardly posted since we arrived in Adelaide. I started with good intentions but after posting an arrival report on PIO and getting almost no responses or thanks I was so disappointed I (perhaps childishly) have pretty much stopped posting on either site and didn't even put the arrival report on PIA. I'm afraid lack of encouragement scared me off.

You can still post it here.... :wink: never too late. I find that the South Australia contingent on PIO is fairly small generally! But we on PIA would all still love to hear how you settled in....

I also mentioned people on here not being able to take criticism and conversations descending into pointless finch for tat (using finch as clearly *** is too offensive).

Thanks for illustrating my point thebacons:xmas15:

Thats my point, you are the point that you like pointing at :tongue:

I'm know I posted a reply to you there. I'd not be put off posting by lack of replies. Your thread there has had 300 plus views. Sometimes it depends on when you post it, who is around and all that. Doesn't mean people are not interested. I'd just go copy and paste it over here for people to read :) I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear how its going for you.

On a lighter note..I say bring back Wurzel!!!! (only oldie pia posters will remember him)..I used to luv his threads!!!

You liked his clothes Nick :)

I do know that a few of the older posters stopped coming on as they found it quite negative. I personally, have had too much going on but still have a look. We have met many good friends on here and still get good advice from others. I often don't post, as I would rather not get embroiled in any arguments.

Cooler

Guest Jo&Phil

Re: "You've posted to this thread, but being honest, I hardly know your name nor can recall any posts by you, because you just don't post much at all" ........... I think we need to be careful that we don't value people's contribution by volume.

I, along with many from the above, regularly read but don't always log in to post if I don't have anything to add of use but will post when I have something to share. It's great that people use this forum as a social chinwag and community build as Snifter says but that isn't for everyone and that shouldn't preclude them from sharing their thoughts when they wish to or those thoughts being received respectfully.

Guest Guest75
As someone just about to arrive I would love to hear updates from people who have just got there or been there for a few months. It will give new arrivals an insight as to how people get on.

This is something that I tried to do over my active years on PIA. I really wish people would "Give back" a little more.

The thread "To all those who have settled here" makes good reading but still I'd hoped more would have put back.

Perhaps it's the "gimme" society showing it's ugly head.

Here is the thread

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/16040-all-who-have-settled-here.html

A very merry Christmas and a Happy new year to all.:xmas15:

Busy here organising our Ch,ch,ch,changes.:jiggy:

You liked his clothes Nick :)

I do know that a few of the older posters stopped coming on as they found it quite negative. I personally, have had too much going on but still have a look. We have met many good friends on here and still get good advice from others. I often don't post, as I would rather not get embroiled in any arguments.

Cooler

Couldn't agree more :)

We've been here just over a year, used this site before and after we arrived.....and still do. I try and contribute to posts I can offer advice to, but still love to read other members' experiences too. I'll never be to 'too experienced' either to ask for advice too, as everyday is a new experience.......especially where our lovely eight-legged friends are concerned.....

As someone just about to arrive I would love to hear updates from people who have just got there or been there for a few months. It will give new arrivals an insight as to how people get on.

This is something that I tried to do over my active years on PIA. I really wish people would "Give back" a little more.

The thread "To all those who have settled here" makes good reading but still I'd hoped more would have put back.

Perhaps it's the "gimme" society showing it's ugly head.

I agree with both these statements, but also know from experience that when posting an update that isn't all positive there's often a backlash: 'that isn't what we want to hear', 'sounds like you're trying to put us off coming', etc, oh and there'll be an inevitable variation on the 'why are you still here if you don't like it?' theme. The occasional response like this is okay and understandable (quite funny in a way, in fact), but recently on here it's become a bit one sided and when that's the case it gets tiresome.

I still look on here a few times a week but find that I spend much less time overall on here and post less frequently. Some of that would happen anyway with us having been here four years, but some of it is definitely down to some of the posters on here.

Jim

Re: "You've posted to this thread, but being honest, I hardly know your name nor can recall any posts by you, because you just don't post much at all"

Hi

We have been here for a few months now "lurking" and most definitely "learning" both before our arrival and now we have landed. We rarely post though as most of our questions had been asked before and a quick search always seemed to bring up the answers we needed or at least helped us head in the right direction. Now we have been here just over a month and we are still finding the forum helpful. We have yet to move into a long term rental so dont feel an update from us is appropriate yet but would be happy to do one when that happens if anyone would find it useful. Our experience so far has been very mixed and perhaps not what everyone would want to read. We have had problems with our shippers (before we left) and issues with our short term accommodation (whilst here).

But we would be slightly anxious about posting now if old time forum members are thinking "who are you?"

3.gif

I haven't been around as much as we've been so busy since we arrived! We've been here 10 weeks and, as well as all the must dos - tax, Medicare, driving licesnces etc we've bought our first home here. Also, now the school holidays have begun we do the occasional day looking after the grandchildren. Oh, I nearly forgot.... The shipment finally gets delivered tomorrow so guess we will have rather a lot of unpacking to do too!!!17.gif

11.gif

Must dash, no time to chat.....

You should give an update to let others know what the pit falls if any before they come so they have the chance to avoid them You should also post the good bits you have came across so people know what to expect.

Hi

We have been here for a few months now "lurking" and most definitely "learning" both before our arrival and now we have landed. We rarely post though as most of our questions had been asked before and a quick search always seemed to bring up the answers we needed or at least helped us head in the right direction. Now we have been here just over a month and we are still finding the forum helpful. We have yet to move into a long term rental so dont feel an update from us is appropriate yet but would be happy to do one when that happens if anyone would find it useful. Our experience so far has been very mixed and perhaps not what everyone would want to read. We have had problems with our shippers (before we left) and issues with our short term accommodation (whilst here).

But we would be slightly anxious about posting now if old time forum members are thinking "who are you?"

I too have decided to leave pia today.

Very sad..but I cannot continue to post under certain circumstances. No doubt this post will be deleted as it is against forum rules!!!!