Did someone really think we missed some of these things ?

AussieRob

Brilliant post Ali!! totally agree with you!

Thank you travelling brummies.:smile:

this is supposed to be a positive website to help people out lets not moan about silly things cos in the big picture do they really matter????????

I don't agree with you on the above though. I believe that this forum is about giving information and helping each other out. I understand to an extent where some of the members are coming from. Especially when they miss a few things from back home. As I've lived in many parts of the world I have to tell you that the expat life has its ups and downs. I am lucky one as while growing up I was taught and had the chance to be exposed to different cultures. Asides from racism problems and unfair treatment and missing family members I don't have a difficulty adapting to a new environment. But hey that's me and everyone has a right to their opinion as long as it is not insulting to others.

I hope that you make it to Australia and we'll have a long chat over Australian style BBQ and beer. :smile:

Cheers and good luck,:smile:

Ali

Guest moonraker1959

Whats so wrong about wanting some home comforts?Just because you don't eat 100% Aussie food does'nt imply you havent settled does it????I recall moving to Oz when I was a small child,and at that time,there was (and still is)a large Italian community.Our local deli which was owned by an Italian sold salami,and several other items.Does that mean the deli owner was'nt settled?No!You'd be surprised actually how many aussies cooking is influenced by the UK,and of course other nations.

When we were travelling oz a long time ago KFC did mash potatoe with chicken gravy on top was bloody lovely! Do they still do that n Adelaide?. Wasn't till we got back to uk and I ordered it at our local KFC that they told me they have never heared of it!! Think it was Sydney I got it though!

They still do a side of Potatos and Gravy that comes with nearly every boxed meal...!

woolies have thorntons chocolates too now...i havent brought any yet, but they will be on my christmas pressie list...

for us.. dont miss anything really.. we were in perth last week we went into a pommie lolly shop in london Court had a look around got excited about all the british foods, but didnt want to buy anything....

sometimes we have bisto granules and sometimes i fetch a colemans chilli mix from the pommie butcher in southgate plaza but that is about it...

i think tastes change.. Hubby had a pedigree beer in a perth pub said the first one tasted funny, but by the second, third and so on he had got his taste for warm beer back again...

I don't think there is anything wrong with still wanting to have some things that you have grown accustomed to. I have found that after over 8 years here the only thing I still buy that is English is Paxo. Nothing here even comes close. But like most people it doesn't mean that we have not embraced aussie life or living here - There is no way we'd return to the UK if we could no longer get Paxo! :rolleyes:

When we moved from australia to the UK in the early 70's my mum (aussie born and bred) could not stand Marmite and the only place at that time that sold Vege was Harrods! So about once a year we would take a trek to London and come out of Harrods laden down, looking like we'd spent tons, when in fact it was all jars of Vegemite!! For most people there will always be one thing that you can't replace and if you can afford to buy the imported version, then who is it hurting??

when i'm overseas i miss the australian beer, the australian made Tetleys, the australian cadburys, the weetbix etc etc

Stevo

Your right Steve, although I miss and indulge sometimes in British stuff, I miss the Aussie goodies when I'm abroad too...

I miss Schnitzels with Pepper gravy, Jarra Vanilla Latte Coffee, Chicken Shop Chips (so much better than british chip shop chips) and Cafe Primo Chicken / Prawn Gamberi.

One thing I was surprised in the UK last year was we couldn't get Chai Latte tea, it's everywhere here, and the one my partner had in the UK was like watered mush.

When we first arrived over 5 yrs ago we were gob smacked at the difference in food, there was so much we hadn't seen before, we spent months trying all the new food that we now take for granted, like gar fish n butter fish and yiros and little boys franks, pluto pups, dolmades and a footy pies etc etc we were just open to everything. After 5 yrs tho it would be nice to go to the chippy on a Friday for puddin chips (not frozen) mushy peys n gravy or curry, but it does not upset me that I can't. I have learned that there is an alternative to a lot of things, some are bloody awful, some are nice and a few are even better, I am just glad that we live here and have the opportunity to try new and unusual foodstuff, it makes life interesting.

Id swap the taste of heinz tomato sauce and weetabix for a life by the beach any day!! Be glad you were lucky enough to be given a chance to live your life in Australia - this is supposed to be a positive website to help people out lets not moan about silly things cos in the big picture do they really matter????????

I didn't realise it was only a positive website, seriously, no matter where you live people are going to chat about food, I'm sure there will be a time you have gone to the supermarket or shop and they didn't have what you wanted. It's natural to make comment about it.

Same if you go to a clothes shop and they don't have something in your size and you moan about it to your friend, does this mean you hate the country?

Guest The travelling brummie's

Alright people calm down didnt mean to offend anyone at all with my post!!! i didnt either mention anything about anybody hating the country either Ktee?

Guest Barney Rubble

Think most people are missing the BIG picture here, we are all passing comments on thing we like but, in the lucky country we are residing in, how nice it is to have :

1: Happy Memories of our homeland

2: Choice

That's all folks :notworthy:

Hi,

Just reading through the posts and youhave covered every thing from stuffing to Thorntons chocolates. I am currently in the UK and moving over in March 2013. I lived in Perth for 3 years and the one and only Pommy food item I missed were

Crisps (Chips) or the wide range we have ............ Discuss

Guest Guest5035

Same if you go to a clothes shop and they don't have something in your size and you moan about it to your friend, does this mean you hate the country?

nooooo, just hate being fat!!

Stevo

I got a pack of Harry Ramsdens Chip shop curry sauce mix a while back and it was heaven!!

Have also found that the custard powder here is nothing like custard powder in the UK - however the ready made stuff you buy in cartons is delicious! Also quiches are really expensive to buy, whereas in Tescos they were really cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest USA soon just SA

This is not a silly thread at all. We are not here yet, and until now had believed that australia was the right place for us, and now I know for sure! In this thread alone, 5 different posts mention firmly held beliefs about the quality of GRAVY. I have finaly found my people. As I have always said, "the only reason they call it gravy, is becasue they are too lazy to make enough so that you can eat a whole bowl of it".

Edited by USA soon just SA
can't spell too good

When we first arrived over 5 yrs ago we were gob smacked at the difference in food, there was so much we hadn't seen before, we spent months trying all the new food that we now take for granted, like gar fish n butter fish and yiros and little boys franks, pluto pups, dolmades and a footy pies etc etc we were just open to everything. After 5 yrs tho it would be nice to go to the chippy on a Friday for puddin chips (not frozen) mushy peys n gravy or curry, but it does not upset me that I can't. I have learned that there is an alternative to a lot of things, some are bloody awful, some are nice and a few are even better, I am just glad that we live here and have the opportunity to try new and unusual foodstuff, it makes life interesting.

Well Lol,

I know what you mean. We I lived in Perth 10 years ago I would have loved to have a Pommy treat such as Pudding Chips peas and gravy. But...... couldnt find it anywhere. When returning 10 years later older and wiser, i am thinking to myself I may be missing a trick !

Would any of you be interested in a traditional British Chippy ?? Sausages pudding peas, gravy, etc etc ?

Most probably, yes!

I saw that weetabix yesterday, in Coles at TTP. didn't buy it, way too expensive but did consider it for a taste test fun game with the children! Mum and Dad are here from the UK atm and I got Dad some Coleman's Mustard and we bought stuffing mix too!!!!!

Seriously there's nothing wrong with liking food and bringing that 'like' with you. We wouldn't be eating very much at all, if that hadn't been done with curry, chinese, pizza, other italian food, fast food... when you boil it down you can't get much that's wholly English, Australian, etc. So I find it a little bit boring to read criticism of those who are missing their own favourite brands. Coles is becoming more like Tesco every minute, and I think that's because they imported a top manager from Tesco... perhaps he fancied bringing a bit of home with him too??!!!!!

The only thing I buy that's English is branston pickle. Everything else is ozzy, I want to live like a ozzy, that's why we came here.

Leeanne xx

Personally I don't go big on UK foods but I must admit to being partial to Colmans bread sauce with a roast chicken and I agree on Branstons being good to have in the cupboard. A lot of other stuff is imported rather than being Australian though so what you have in your trolley does not necessarily indicate your affection for this country. For example Australia produces a lot of rice but I buy Pakistani stuff as I reckon it's a lot better (and cheaper too).