Guest mark&rachel

Food. What do you miss.

Guest mark&rachel

Hello all

A mate just came back from a return to England and brought me a goodie bag of Prawn Cocktail, Smokey bacon etc.

all those food memories flooding back.

What does everyone miss food wise (apart from curry) that's not sold in abundance here ?

Guest leemina
    Hello all

A mate just came back from a return to England and brought me a goodie bag of Prawn Cocktail, Smokey bacon etc.

all those food memories flooding back.

What does everyone miss food wise (apart from curry) that's not sold in abundance here ?

I miss snack-a-jacks, muller lite yoghurts and revels. Kids miss prawn cocktail crisps. Hubby misses nothing, lol.

Not much really - there's so much new stuff to find but if I was pushed I'd said I do miss Beef and Tomato Pot Noodles a bit and Butterscotch Angel Delight (though we had a friend bring a few of those). Not enough to buy them from an importer though.

Quorn deli slices, actually most of the quorn range as its very limited here. Proper tea bags without string on.

But the stuff I miss is more than made up for by the awesome, supersized fresh fruit and veg. And the amazing cheeses etc at the central markets.

I've been craving readybrek since being here .... I don't know why cos I never really had it ( only as a kid) ....... And no I am not pregnant ... Lol

I've been craving readybrek since being here .... I don't know why cos I never really had it ( only as a kid) ....... And no I am not pregnant ... Lol

Hee hee - and you've suddenly made me miss SUGAR PUFFS!!!

Guest norris

You can get a good curry from Aldinga deli its a chef from the city its really nice.

Curry, m&s/waitrose ready meals/prepared food (I normally cook from scratch, but when I do want something quick and easy, I REALLY miss being able to pop to Waitrose for something tasty, not way-overpriced and not made of total rubbish), cheese moments, good bread that doesn't cost a fortune (eg would love to be able to get decent French sticks and croissants in the supermarket as easily and cheaply as in Tesco), English Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate Buttons (or twirl...or flake...I could go on!), English vintage cheddar with a real bite to it and a huge choice of cheap French stinky cheese and wine.

Things I love here though are the amazing selection of Aussie wine, seafood, fruit & veg, esp summer fruit and more 'exotic' range than I typically ate in the UK, laksa (maybe there was laksa in the UK - I never had it though and have it a lot here), the 'grab and go' style sushi rolls that you can take away - not just expensive sushi restaurants or cucumber/cooked tuna packaged supermarket stuff, everything Maggie Beer brand, quince/fruit pastes on cheese platters as a normal occurrence, oysters everywhere, even in pubs and definitely iced coffee!

Guest Brad

I miss the crumpets, not the same here. Tried to bring some back in march and got taken from me at customs :-(

i prefer the beer here but wish it was the same price as englands

Guest Guest75

I missed the "Chinese chippy / takeaway" curry.

Not for much longer though.

I'm now an agent for a company that makes this sauce mix and it's hopefully going to be in the stores soon:biggrin:

I'm now an agent for a company that makes this sauce mix and it's hopefully going to be in the stores soon:biggrin:

Ok....tell me what is a Chinese chippy/takeaway curry?....never heard of it....is that one of those Pommy things....:err:

Guest Guest75
    Ok....tell me what is a Chinese chippy/takeaway curry?....never heard of it....is that one of those Pommy things....:err:

Hard to describe,but anyone who has lived in the UK and had a Chinese take away knows the taste. So yep a Pommie thing! It is one of the tastes some become nostalgic about.

Wing Yip?

Shreddies. Not readily available here although the Hallett Cove lolly shop had some recently and I spent $25 on 3 boxes - Waynecaz they also had readybrek.

​Lisa

I miss snack-a-jacks, muller lite yoghurts and revels. Kids miss prawn cocktail crisps. Hubby misses nothing, lol.

You can buy flavoured rice cakes here that are a lot like snack-a-jacks. I think they come in salt and vinegar, sour cream and chive and tomato flavours. I'm particularly partial to the salt and vinegar ones.

I don't really miss anything that much. I miss having the time to cook more involved meals during the week and baking my own biscuits and things but I can't think of any particular foods stuffs that I miss. Except maybe decent quality, healthy(ish) ready meals for those days when you don't have the time or energy do cook something yourself.

My OH said he can't think of anything he misses food wise but he does really miss marigold rubber gloves.

Guest Guest75

My OH said he can't think of anything he misses food wise but he does really miss marigold rubber gloves.

Always found em' a bit chewy myself but Soy sauce helped.....:tongue::tongue::goofy::goofy::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry,could not resist.......

Shreddies. Not readily available here although the Hallett Cove lolly shop had some recently and I spent $25 on 3 boxes - Waynecaz they also had readybrek.

​Lisa

Oh my goodness I am going tomorrow to have a look, I've looked in all the supermarkets and haven't seen it .... Thanks for the heads up!!