help a desperate family.

bruce n sheila

If you didn’t see the news at the weekend, a young family’s home in Christie Downs was completely gutted after some tosser had set fire to an old mattress by their house. Thankfully they all survived with the exception of the family cat, they have lost everything they did own – I really feel for the poor sods. They didn't appear to be a well off family and have 3 young kids and a baby, all currently living with granny. We have just purchased a new bed for our daughter and was about to ditch the old one even though there is nothing actually wrong it but thought this poor family might really appreciate it, even though a small guesture.

I have contacted the MFS and the family will accpt donations if possible but dont feel comfortable asking, so if you have any old bits of furniture or household items you think might come in handy for this poor family let me know so I can pass it on to them – if transport is an issue, I can collect and drop off.

They have been allocated a new home from next week so are desperate.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Sorry we can't help (we still don't really even have the basics ourselves yet, slowly slowly is the way forward this time!), but just wanted to say what a lovely thoughtful post. Thank you for showing what lovely people are still left in the world :)

Guest Sarah Branch

I know it might be a long shot and to personal information that they may not want to share but the age and sex of the kids might be handy for those that might have clothes or toys they could donate. Also im getting rid of some womens clothes that no longer fit me, i was selling them as they are like new but im happy to give them to the mum if its the right size.

I also have 2 bedside lamps they could have, sorry i dont have much else to donate but we are still setting up home here ourselves after only arriving 5 months ago

Guest klataylor

Okay, so call me a bitch but this family had five children (four in some newspapers) and no house insurance. They had received around $20000 from the Baby Breeding bonus. I find that irresponsible.

Guest BurgessFamily
Okay, so call me a bitch but this family had five children (four in some newspapers) and no house insurance. They had received around $20000 from the Baby Breeding bonus. I find that irresponsible.

You should be thanking them for producing future tax payers.

Do you want me to? You completely sound like one. At a time like this - shame on you for being so judgemental.

Guest klataylor
Do you want me to? You completely sound like one. At a time like this - shame on you for being so judgemental.

Call me whatever you want, I am just saying what other people would be thinking.

When you have children, you have responsibilities and one of them is to provide a roof over their head and continue to do so regardless what happens. In this instance it would be by taking out insurance.

Oh and it's that simple hey? Here is someone trying to do a good deed for a family that's had the awful experience of a house fire and out of the woodwork people like you appear!!!

Yes shame on you and I really do hope you never have to experience something like this......but if you do at least you will be insured.

Guest BurgessFamily
Call me whatever you want, I am just saying what other people would be thinking.

When you have children, you have responsibilities and one of them is to provide a roof over their head and continue to do so regardless what happens. In this instance it would be by taking out insurance.

Not everyone can afford the luxury of insurance. You only have to look what happened in QLD, luckily the government stepped in with a levy to help those without insurance.

Shame on me? Shame on the family for not having protection for their family.

Well, well, well - congratulations for being so bloody marvellous!

Perhaps you should start offering Saturday morning classes on how to be so perfect!

The lady concerned probably does wish she had taken out insurance as she has been left without a thing. What is your recommendation? That we should tell the OP to stop wasting our time and let the little ******** suffer?

You're not a bitch - you are cold hearted person that doesn't deserve any more of my time!

Well done to the OP in showing us that not everyone is a nobber!!

What I find somewhat strange and irresponsible is how you come on a thread where all I have done is ask if anyone had any household items they no longer need to slag someone who you neither know or have met and judge her and her family. Her only crimes in your opinion is she has children and didn't have insurance. Ever thought she might have wanted 5 kids?

Another example of how some are all too quick to judge others without knowing the full story.

Neither her nor her family have asked for any handouts I simply offered my bed and asked others if they wanted to do the same.

Not everyone can afford the luxury of insurance. You only have to look what happened in QLD, luckily the government stepped in with a levy to help those without insurance.

Really depends on circunstances, Whilst I do not wish any disaster to befall anyone, surely we all must understand that this can happen and we really must make it a priority to ensure we are covered. You mentioned Qld and there were some genuine cases, but you may not have seen all what there was to see, for instance some people getting interviewed, had lost everything could not afford insurance, but could afford to smoke, some had also lost their beer fridge......shame. Whilst I have never smoked I do drink (less these days) and Beer money, and cig money would be the last thing to be part of my budget especially when I had a young family and even today, you see to me if you can afford to drink and/or smoke you are not poor, though you will not know my background I can tell you for certain that there are a lot of people out there who plead poverty have really no idea what poor is.

So in summary, given certain sets of cicumstances then I would either agree or disagree with Klataylor and any assistance i offer would be directed accordingly.

Also for your information, as a family group we assisted, without predjudice, on several fronts with the flood aftermath, and the company I work for freely assisted with the clean-up, providing labour and equipment.

regards Keith

Good on the OP for trying to help this family.

Please stop the personal attacks if you can't help don't post, quite simple really. As for insurance after receiving our renewal of $10,000 per year and after ringing around we cannot get anything cheaper so please don't judge people who don't have insurance some really cannot afford it.

Good on the OP for trying to help this family.

Please stop the personal attacks if you can't help don't post, quite simple really. As for insurance after receiving our renewal of $10,000 per year and after ringing around we cannot get anything cheaper so please don't judge people who don't have insurance some really cannot afford it.

Holy cow pats! I must admit, I don't have insurance. I'm in a rental, so it would only be contents. I did try when I first got here, when all of my things were second hand, I had bought over what I could with my 20kg allowance, and they insisted the insured sum should have been something like 30x what I needed insured, as it was a three bedroom house. Two with nothing in them. I decided I would take the risk and just buy new if anything happened. Now that I do own more I really should get off my bum and sort something out.

Poor family

Lovely to hear someone doing a whip round, I hope you help them through people on here.

No items myself, but since we been here we've given away beds, sofa and cot free on gum tree for anyone who could use them, think it's good when you can help someone out, you never know when you'll be in that position..

I hope this family will get back on their feet. x

I'm sorry Ktee but I just wanted to say...

I actually have some sympathy for klataylor's view but that's possibly because I know a bit more about this family.

That said, if everyone in this world helped someone else, what a wonderful place it would be.

Whatever the species, however you help, whether they 'deserve' help or not, helping gives to the giver as well as the recipient.

Don't stop here, you amazing people, keep helping.

WAS going to use the not-worthy smilie but it wouldn't load so could you imagine it, please :)

LC