Should new members to this forum pay to join????

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Just a random thought to chuck out there.........................

This forum and others are run at an expense to say the least, in fact if they did not make a profit they would not exist.

Now............ I know that no one will grudge a person /organisation a fair days work ......................... I am also of this opinion and in no way having a dig at owners of any site /forum.... and so on.

BUT................................

Out of the thousands of members of this forum.................. how many "Hit and run"???????

By this I mean................ Join, immerse themselves in as much information / help / free good and offers of help as is possible - but after arriving and settling do not bother with the forum/ post updates / help newbies and so on???

Noted there are the exceptional who really help and "Pay it forward"

This information / help and support is invaluable but yet how many really say at least thank you??? .................. erm 1%..........OK let us be generous and say 5%.

Bit thin on the ground hey..............???

Might be worth charging for all this free advise / support and mentoring - even if only to buy the poor Moderators a drink at Christmas.

After all to advertise cost money one here so why not charge for the advise given some how????

In this economic climate paying advertisers must be in shorter supply but the amount of "takers' seem to be constant...............:idea:

So many declare how much this forum and others have helped them................?

Just throwing it out there...................:cute:

Edited by Guest75

No I don't think people should pay to use the site - it's the members who make it! On the other hand there are many people on here who make a fair bit of money from advertising their services to the membership and make no financial contribution to the sites running costs. Admittedly some justify this by posting a fair bit and trying to be helpful to members, but at the end of the day Admin cannot run by words alone! I think a fairer way to offset the running costs would be to make sure any user who was benefitting financial helped out financially.

NWM

No I don't think people should pay to use the site - it's the members who make it! On the other hand there are many people on here who make a fair bit of money from advertising their services to the membership and make no financial contribution to the sites running costs. Admittedly some justify this by posting a fair bit and trying to be helpful to members, but at the end of the day Admin cannot run by words alone! I think a fairer way to offset the running costs would be to make sure any user who was benefitting financial helped out financially.

NWM

Hear Hear, you will also find it's the same characters who post most, ( the ones running businesses off the back of the forum) if anything controversial or not to the inner circles liking then the big guns come out and shout you down.

Reading several different threads about various subjects, it's always the same group who seem to stick together and circle like vultures to shout that person down and as an "outsider" it's quite intimidating.

in reply to the OP I think businesses advertising on here and getting a good business revenue then they should pay to use the forum, give something financial back rather than views, opinions, propaganda and advice....if your making a bit then give a bit.

Edited by zealander

Hear Hear, you will also find it's the same characters who post most, ( the ones running businesses off the back of the forum) if anything controversial or not to the inner circles liking then the big guns come out and shout you down.

Reading several different threads about various subjects, it's always the same group who seem to stick together and circle like vultures to shout that person down and as an "outsider" it's quite intimidating.

This must be a perception thing as it's not something I've ever noticed and I'm definitely not part of any inner circle - I don't have any contact with anyone on here outside the forum, in person or by PM, and I don't have any business to advertise.

To answer the original post, no I don't think you should charge people to join as there would be no members. Would you pay? I think NWM has a point about business owners who advertise in their signature making a financial contribution though.

This must be a perception thing as it's not something I've ever noticed and I'm definitely not part of any inner circle - I don't have any contact with anyone on here outside the forum, in person or by PM, and I don't have any business to advertise.

To answer the original post, no I don't think you should charge people to join as there would be no members. Would you pay? I think NWM has a point about business owners who advertise in their signature making a financial contribution though.

I agree, since I've been here I've never noticed that either.

I also don't think charging is a good idea. It would be a very quiet forum. When people are given the option of paying to advertise their businesses they don't want to, and they make money off that. So paying to use the forum would not work well at all.

Guest Guest75

in reply to the OP I think businesses advertising on here and getting a good business revenue then they should pay to use the forum, give something financial back rather than views, opinions, propaganda and advice....if your making a bit then give a bit.

Could I just ask Zealander............... have you been a poster on this forum before and come back on under a different persona??? Your style seems familiar.

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

If jumping to conclusions were an an Olympic sport we'd have gold medals all around.

To Be Honest - if you look at in reverse..............

Looks like pointed remarks towards a certain poster.

Unfortunately people seem to have it in their head that the business the poster is in is lucrative...................... Could not be further from the truth.

Very tax efficient as the losses have been effective elsewhere.

No profits for years.

Many people in the same area have now wrapped up as it was not worth it.

Most of those posters were heavy poster who actually have helped an awful lot of people , giving more time and help than would ever be recovered financially.

Looks like this thread will be a pointed attack rather than a discussion.

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Don't think charging is a good idea at all - the best way to help the site prosper is to welcome new members, whatever their reason for joining, and not make people feel scared to post, or intimidated. For many this forum is a first venture into the world of internet forums and generally I'd hope it's a friendly, welcoming and non-threatening place to start.

So welcome all new users, whether you've come here to get advice, give advice, or maybe just to sell something or promote something - may you enjoy your time on the site and hopefully stick around and become part of the community!

Guest Guest75
the best way to help the site prosper is to welcome new members, whatever their reason for joining, and not make people feel scared to post, or intimidated. For many this forum is a first venture into the world of internet forums and generally I'd hope it's a friendly, welcoming and non-threatening place to start.

So welcome all new users, whether you've come here to get advice, give advice, or maybe just to sell something or promote something - may you enjoy your time on the site and hopefully stick around and become part of the community!

Exactly what I used to say.!

I hope not! It would be really sad if a forum which is supposed to be about networking and offering advice / opinions could be seen as 'intimidating' by an 'inner circle' Perhaps it's more down to the fact that some people post more than others and might share some viewpoints? I don't know but I do know I hate cliques.

I can't understand why we would want to pay to join. I can see that running a site costs money and if PiA wasn't making the owners at least break even, then perhaps it would be worth considering. I thought that the ads displayed on the site were what made any money. I can see that there might be an argument for people to pay if they are getting free advertising by posting with business links in their signature but otherwise, NO!

And please, stop bagging people who come on, post a few times, then disappear! It takes all sorts, doesn't it?!

:rolleyes: LC

Guest Claire-n-tel

Might be worth charging for all this free advise / support and mentoring - even if only to buy the poor Moderators a drink at Christmas.

Ooohh!......getting a bit contraversial there Mr Tyke!.......

Nope, i have to say i don't agree, how many websites do you look at every day that ask you to 'now join' in order to keep reading?.....how many of these have i given my credir card details to?....none!

I don't know if it would work to be able to have a pop up that everyone gets for say first 10 posts asking maybe

"have you searched this subject on the existing posts?

Please note members cannot often give you absolute answers for that you will need to pay to see a migration agent.

Please do not get annoyed or start numerous threads with the same question if you don't get the answer you want

Please think about thanking members for advice you are given"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

If jumping to conclusions were an an Olympic sport we'd have gold medals all around.

To Be Honest - if you look at in reverse..............

Looks like pointed remarks towards a certain poster.

Unfortunately people seem to have it in their head that the business the poster is in is lucrative...................... Could not be further from the truth.

Very tax efficient as the losses have been effective elsewhere.

No profits for years.

Many people in the same area have now wrapped up as it was not worth it.

Most of those posters were heavy poster who actually have helped an awful lot of people , giving more time and help than would ever be recovered financially.

Looks like this thread will be a pointed attack rather than a discussion.

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

No attacks from me. I agree that some of the people on here with businesses are very helpful and help to keep the forum alive. However being able to put your business details in your signature is free advertising, which ever way you look at it. I don't have a problem with it myself (if I had a business I too would make use of this feature), but how many other places can you advertise for free? If anyone was going to be charged surely it would be the people advertising the business rather than general members.

I do get your point though about some people joining up purely to get advice, or to sell something and then don't contribute any further. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about this, but charging is not the answer.

The forum wouldn’t exist without the members but I think the site owners should be reimbursed for their costs and yes….heaven forbid they should make some money out of it too. This forum provides a valuable service to new and old members. I still write on here but mostly the “fun” threads and also if I have some information to share. If I had to pay for that I am not sure that I would do it….it would seem like you are paying for a friendly conversation or for being helpful.

I used to get free advertising a long time ago and then I paid for advertising for about a year. But for me the free or paid advertising didn’t really make a difference so I am happy to be an ordinary member now and just join in the general banter when I feel like it.

From another perspective though I have found quite a few members on this forum who provide a service to be useful for what I need. I got a member on here to fix my car and paint my house a few years ago now. I think if those people needed to pay a small advertising fee at the beginning they may or may not have done it and most likely I wouldn’t have found them. Perhaps the forum could accommodate a “free” advertising section for those newbies who are first starting out just to encourage them along the way and once people have their “foot in the door” and get the business started and known, then they can get charged for the advertising.

I advertise now on other relevant mediums and because of this my prices on my product have increased but I still get the same business so I haven’t lost out on anything. I personally don’t have a problem with paying for advertising if it works but the cost does get passed on to the consumer because no business runs for a loss and let’s face it we all work so we can have a comfortable retirement and good life for ourselves and family.

Guest Guest12727

Am I missing something here? Have the owners / administrators of the site commented anywhere that they are out of pocket?

I am grateful to the mods who obviously give up a lot of time, but I presume they get something out of it, and I don't mean financial, but possibly a personal satisfaction in helping to keep the site running and continuing to provide help to the community They can walk away if it becomes too much for them and hand over the reigns to someone else. Happy to buy any of them in my area a drink anytime. :)

One post or one thousand should make no difference. It's the nature of forums that some who use them post often, others only occasionally, maybe only once. Some stick around in the longer term, others not. Forums the world over have the same issues, it's not confined solely to this one. I've yet to sign up to a forum that charges it's members. Nor would I. One forum wanted £10 to join, needless to say I didn't sign up to it as their reasons for a fee were not ones I agreed with.

If we set out to make everyone welcome (but ban the spam ;) ) and don't judge them on their post count or post content, some of those that may only post occasionally might just come back and post a bit more. Or not, but still, we should not be worrying or commenting from the offset they may disappear or are not giving back as some others might like. What kind of message does that send out to new members or those who post only a little? You have no value to us if you don't contribute or stick around long term? We want payback in terms of you posting more? We value you but only if...? That is not my starting point here anyways.

My time and words are given freely to this forum. I never sit and feel hard done by as a member or a mod. If I don't get a thank you or a Like for a helpful (well I hope it's helpful) post or advice to an OP, so be it. It doesn't worry me. Not everyone does that or knows a Like Button exists. I don't loose sleep over it. It's nice when it happens, yes, but I'm not keeping score or anything. I keep on posting here because I want to, I choose to, not because I want recognition or payback for my words or time. Some people use forums differently to others, I get that. We can't all be the same. Even my own time on this forum has lessened in the run up to us departing and since we arrived in Aus. Life isn't any busier per se, it's just different and I am focusing on settling in, building a life and quite honestly don't have the same amount of energy to devote to it right now. Should I be charged to encourage me to keep posting and trying to help others? How can you quantify such things? Where would you even start?

I reckon we should have a cash bar! I always think of this place like my local pub, drop in anytime for just a chat about something banal, for some advice or as a sounding board for a new idea, for a 'heated discussion' if that's what you're in the mood for, or just to sit in a corner nursing a pint while you listen to the buzz going on around you. Like in the best locals you get a few 'Delboy' types who always have something to sell, the 'grumpy old men/women', the salt- of-the-earth tradies who will come help you out with a practical problem, the newcomers who have just moved into the area who may or may not become locals, the loud ones, the quiet ones, and the ones who run their offices from a laptop on a table in the corner.

you shouldn't have to pay to go in your local, although buying a drink (or clicking on the Like button) for someone who's helped you is always a good thing!

No I don't think charging joining fees would work.

I've been a member for a few years now, I post occasionally and join in some discussions but sometimes I just have a nose through too see if there's any news,

maybe events advertised.

I have helped a few new arrivals with items no longer needed or advise helping people settling in, I have also made some lovely fiends along the way.

Charging will put people off joining as number would fall.

To add, we have forum rules which admin are happy with. They decided on what they wanted and they are there for us all to read. So if people sign up and post within those rules (ie posting in the For Sale/Wanted forum selling some household items due to a house move say) who are we to judge them for it or question them on thier post count or contribution. They are selling privately, are not a business, doing nothing wrong. If it helps out other members on here and they can buy a sofa, good thing from where I am sitting.

Those that post and are not adhering to the rules, they usually find their posts removed or edited so that they then comply with said rules.

Another thought, and its something plenty of forums and websites do, is have a Donate button. If you like something enough, get use out of it and want to chip in $10, $50 or more as a one off, you are welcome. And that it can be anonymous is even nicer.

Sure not many do so but I have posted on many forums on various sites that have this as an option. And I've gladly donated to them as their site and/or forum has been of great use or enjoyment and for the time I spent there, happy to chip in as a thank you. I do so not because I *have* to but because I want to. Therein lies the difference for me.