Money saving tips for new arrivals

Diane

Guest Kat+Rocco
were not even going to go there... that's a whole new argument that could go on for ever....lol

HG

Ok lol i've just read the Banana thread:chatterbox:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shops have different prices in different areas, so look around.. eg. Coles in Reynella are cheaper than Coles in Glenelg..( and their prices are cheaper than online prices) ....Harvey Norman is Marion is cheaper than the one in Noarlunga.. I asked why the prices are different.. its because they are all franchaises... Marion is a much bigger store and has a huge buying power, so are able to do much cheaper prices..

I bought a sofa from HN in Marion & it was $700 cheaper than it was in Noarlunga..(noarlunga wouldnt move on the price).... Ive also bought alot of electrical stuff from them & they have always reduced the prices... so definately ask for a discount when buying..

Definately worth shopping around!!

Thought of a few more overnight!

Entertainment Book: runs from 1st June for a year and contains discount and 2 for 1 type vouchers for meals, activities, stuff like dry cleaning, and even theme park tickets. Ask at your local school or charity shop or sports club - the seller gets a fraction of the price, so you'll benefit both fiscally and spiritually!

Parking in the CBD - multi stories are hugely expensive, except for the one over the market

Driving - don't speed, don't park facing the wrong way, don't jump red lights, don't park in no parking areas and don't let anyone get out of your car in no stopping areas, even if you can't move coz you're in a traffic jam (can you tell I'm talking from experience here?)!

Good thread, Diane.

For utilities, ask around. We were quoted about $80 for telstra phone and internet.....Adam Internet do 'naked asdl' with VOIP (phone line via internet connection) for $40 - 50, depending on how many GB you want (and cheap calls to the UK - 2c per min, I think!). Things can take ages to get connected though, so make enquiries and start the ball rolling as soon as poss!

Guest Jane & Tony
Hi there

YES....you can barter at Le Corneau....we did & got great discounts!!!

Good luck!!

Cheers for that xx 'Luck'? I think we'll need it. More please xx

Shop around for your electric that's if you get a choice, speak to the landlord or landlady if you see a good deal...power is going up and there are some good deals from the smaller players out there.

We shop off the specials that we get in the post....they have some great offers we then set our evening meals from there.

HG

Lol! Tight-Arse Tuesday is great...lots of places offer discounts so it's always worth asking!

Why oh why has no one mentioned the fab 10c we get back from each bottle, can, fruit box, ice coffee tetra pack ( only the individual sizes) etc we recycle? If you can't be bothered, get the kids to do it! It's good for the environment AND your pocket!

Freecycle is a good website for picking stuff up...like Trading Post only so much cheaper!

If your favourite slab is on cheap at your favourite bottlo, ask if they will keep a few for you. I know some will if you are a 'valued' (cough!) customer.

If you have too many lemons or whatever growing, offer them to neighbours/friends/appropriate local businesses and see what you get back :wink:

Don't sniff at your local op shop (or even better the op shops in swanky pants areas ) . Some can be a bit pricey but you might be surprised at what you can find...from school uniforms to new clothes to kitchen stuff, furniture etc.

If you want to buy something from Target or wherever and you can wait...try because if you are careful you need never pay full price by buying when the item your heart desires is on sale. Sales are pretty frequent.

Hmmmn, I have mentioned alcohol, op shops, refunds on bottles.... do I sound slightly, er, cheap?

Oh well!

LC

:notworthy: great idea for a thread, Diane!:notworthy:

Guest wijaya

If you like charity shops, visit Salvos stores. There about 20 stores around Adelaide. or Save the children and Australian Red Cross. A lot of quality second hands.

Guest loopylisa

Yeah my OH has a VOIP phone line via internet and it suits him fine. You can easily make phone calls via skype nowadays so there is no really need for an old style landlines imho

Guest Adelaide_bound

Why oh why has no one mentioned the fab 10c we get back from each bottle, can, fruit box, ice coffee tetra pack ( only the individual sizes) etc we recycle? If you can't be bothered, get the kids to do it! It's good for the environment AND your pocket!

Thank you for this - nhadn't heard anything about this at all before, definitely a wonderful tip (we recycle like mad anyway, so will be nice to get some cs for it! :D)

Just thought of another one! Cleanskin wines. Available at most bottle shops (off licenses as I still can't help calling them) and a lot of wineries too. Lots cheaper than "labelled" wine, if you don't mind buying something you don't know the name of: you are told the region it comes from, the grape variety (usually) and alcohol content (hic). Once you get to know some of the areas, you can pick up some real bargains, for instance I don't think I've ever had a bad drop of red from the Coonawarra region, so whenever I see Connawarra cleanskins I stock up bigtime!

There are also a couple of websites I use such as http://www.getwinesdirect.com which often has "buy one case get another free" deals (or once, memorably, a "Buy One Case Get TWO Free" deal!) which can bring the price of a bottle of wine down to about $5.

Unfortunately they haven't yet introduced the "10c refund on recycling" thing on wine bottles - heaven knows why not.... I think it's time for us wine drinkers to lobby the state government....

Guest Darkmoore

You're right about the bananas - lets not go there :(

Cant believe no one has said Rite Price! - Im aware RitePrice is not for everyone - ome things in there are terrible (frosty paws lol) but a lot of this stuff is past its sell by date but not its use by date. and even the things that are well out of date are still edible like sweeties and carbonated drinks.

Im loving the libraries too - they are great here and are still open - unlike the ones at home.

I have heard that Barnacle Bills is a bit expensive.

The central markets are wonderful - even if they're not always cheap they are geat to walk around - In the foodcourt opposite the central markets (the one with the giant panda) is a chinese have-what-ever-you-want plate for $6.50 :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest boesman
Change the way you shop, in the UK I got ALL my groceries at the supermarket, here I get my fruit and veg from a small local fruit shop, bread from the bakery, meat at the butchers and cleaning stuff/biscuits/crisps/washing powder/fab conditioner from Cheap as Chips/Regect Shop/Sam's Warehouse. I only go to the supermarket for things I can't get elsewhere. Bit of traisping about but I save a lot and with 6 in my house its needed. I actually have a friend who goes to a farmer and gets me half a cow or a whole lamb....$7 a KG for beef and $8 a KG for lamb, we're saving a fortune and eating like kings:)

Oh my goodness!!! This is the nicest thing I read all day! We love our meat and was quite worried of how expensive it seems in Coles (did a fake shopping online). Half a cow or whole lamb seems right up my street especially at that price. Will contact you when we are there to find the details of this farmer... ;)

• 3 months later...
Buy a Car with a Towbar if possible.It can prove a great asset when buying furniture,moving rentals etc.Trailers are cheap to hire from petrol garages,or to buy off gumtree ,local ads etc.We have saved a fortune with ours since we've been here.Best of luck .:smile:

This is a great tip - trailers have their own rego as well, so you don't need to worry about numberplates etc if you borrow one. Chat to your neighbours too, as many aussies have secret trailers hidden away at a rellies that they might let you borrow for a bottle of wine!

Had a quick read... doesn't look as though anyone has mentioned yet (there's still time, just about!!) that if you eat in the restaurant at IKEA they are giving you that same amount dollar for dollar off your purchases.

Other than that, great idea for a thread.

Also - the Entertainment book. Organisations selling those (Scouts etc) and if you go out for a "decent" meal you are highly likely to get the money back on the book in 2 outings. The rest is pure discount. I saw a thread swapping vouchers for different areas of the city - fantastic idea!

Buy a Car with a Towbar if possible.It can prove a great asset when buying furniture,moving rentals etc.Trailers are cheap to hire from petrol garages,or to buy off gumtree ,local ads etc.We have saved a fortune with ours since we've been here.Best of luck .:smile:

we bought a car without a towbar so asked the dealer if they could put one on and they did for free, so always worth asking :)