Humongous tricky question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best or worst decision oz!!!!

phil&Sue

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mactac

I first came to Australia in 2003 on a WHV I spent most of my time in Melbourne.

I fell in love with the place and was never happier than living there.

I have now been in Adelaide 2 years after coming here from the UK- here on state sponsorship (ends in september).

Adelaide was my gateway into Australia. It really has not grown on me in these 2 years though I have tried to like it.

Again this is subjective - I imagine I would enjoy it at retirement age or loved it as a young child. It is perfect in so many areas.

As a teenager I think it would have driven me insane also in my 20s and 30s.

My advice is come but do not see Adelaide as Australia.

Adelaide is nice but well not for me. If you can travel, before deciding what is right for you.

Guest AliinAus

For us (in hindsight) it's been the best - but we didn't know that and it's something that has grown on us. We've never hated Aus (didn't hate the UK either although hubby was disenchanted with it). Been here over 6 years. A lot of things could be the reason we feel the way we do - the kids are older, we're older - but our Saturday night conversations over a glass (or two) of wine always turn to how happy we are to have made the move. We had very good lives in the UK - but what we feel we have here is a sense of contentment that we actually didn't know was missing - it's not a measurable thing - just a general feeling of well being, life being good and having a lot of quality time with the children. My daughter (now 18) has commented more than once that she's glad to have had her teenage years in Aus - couldn't have asked for anymore than that really.

My boyfriend's daughter is 13. The stuff they get up to is shocking. Her and a friend have been picked up by police late at night with weed and alcohol (they made them do councilling) after sneaking out.

For her 13th birthday her grandparents agreed she could have a birthday party at their house. She hasn't long ago started at Brighton high school (for a location of kids idea). In the end about 85 kids came. She posted on Facebook that no alcohol was allowed. We were offered the chance of going, but we could see it wasn't going to go well. They had said they were going to get security. They didn't. About 45 of the 85 kids were all blotto, chucking up, starting fights with adults telling them they had to leave etc.

She has friends phoning her drunk or stoned (at least they are telling her that anyway) every weekend we have her.

There are far too many things for me to list, but from what I can tell they are all as bad as each other (although she would be leader).

I don't believe if I had a child they would get a chance to be anywhere near as bad (I'm far more switched on than her parents, and nowhere near as soft), but it does worry me.

Wow! That's pretty horrifying! I reckon we've either been really lucky then, or you've been really unlucky.... I was just trying to remember what my daughter did for her 13th birthday, and remembered she was actually away on tour with the Australian Girls Choir at the time, shortly after (or before perhaps) she got to appear in Boy From Oz with the choir and Hugh Jackman. Oh yes, that was also the year she got to play with her girls' soccer team at Hindmarsh Stadium, as they'd made it through to the cup final - apart from a bit of wine at home occasionally with meals (we've been following the French style of alcohol education) I don't think she'd have even thought about hitting the bottle at a party at that age, nor would any of her friends from a whole range of different schools! Sounds like your bf's daughter might have too much time on her hands....

I certainly wouldn't worry if you have kids that your experience is typical of Adelaide. In fact, although I'm not in the love it or hate it brigade, one of the positives for me here is that kids can have a longer childhood here than they can in the UK, and there are a plethora of clubs and things they can join, whatever their interests, so even if their crowd at school might not be a healthy influence, they can have plenty of other friendship groups.

Edited by Diane

We're here on a 457 visa and life is really good for us, back in the UK hubby didn't have a job he's worked since he was 16, couple of self employed stints but out of work at 45 and told he wasn't entitled to any help!!, was living on my part time wages and things were very tough, out of the blue got offered a job here so hubby and i moved over 9 months ago, left 2 kids in uni back in the uk and having a mid life crisis of epic proportions, kids have been here for the uni break (3 months) bought a boat, 4 wheel drive, had some outback adventures, supported 4 kids (boyfriends and girlfriends came too) for 3 months and i'm only working part time,we are enjoying every minute of it an even though we don't see our long term future here as can't get PR due to age, we are both paying taxes and contributing and having a fantastic time we believe that hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe we should have done this years ago but now believe that you should grasp every opportunity with both hands and enjoy it all, (have had a few personal situations that make us believe that life is too short). Please all of you make the most of every situation your in be it Australia or England, your whole life is what YOU make it.

The situation with teenagers can happen anywhere, I have friends back in England who have well bought up kids (whatever that is) who also go off the rails but luckily my kids haven't had these problems and i haven't done anything differently from them, i am now of the opinion that I have been extremely lucky with my kids and being a parent is the hardest job i've ever done, the problems with drink and drugs are rampant everywhere think this doesn't have any bearing on geographic areas you just have to keep your fingers crossed that your kids miss this.

Good luck to everyone who is on this great big adventure of being on the other side of the world to your roots.

x

Guest Nixipixi82
My boyfriend's daughter is 13. The stuff they get up to is shocking. Her and a friend have been picked up by police late at night with weed and alcohol (they made them do councilling) after sneaking out.

For her 13th birthday her grandparents agreed she could have a birthday party at their house. She hasn't long ago started at Brighton high school (for a location of kids idea). In the end about 85 kids came. She posted on Facebook that no alcohol was allowed. We were offered the chance of going, but we could see it wasn't going to go well. They had said they were going to get security. They didn't. About 45 of the 85 kids were all blotto, chucking up, starting fights with adults telling them they had to leave etc.

She has friends phoning her drunk or stoned (at least they are telling her that anyway) every weekend we have her.

There are far too many things for me to list, but from what I can tell they are all as bad as each other (although she would be leader).

I don't believe if I had a child they would get a chance to be anywhere near as bad (I'm far more switched on than her parents, and nowhere near as soft), but it does worry me.

That still sounds pretty tame to kids i hear about from friends and family here in the UK. A little alcohol and weed is nothing to worry about, its when kids are carrying knifes, taking class A's and spitting/ punching at adults, thats when you want to be worrying!

Wow! That's pretty horrifying! I reckon we've either been really lucky then, or you've been really unlucky.... I was just trying to remember what my daughter did for her 13th birthday, and remembered she was actually away on tour with the Australian Girls Choir at the time, shortly after (or before perhaps) she got to appear in Boy From Oz with the choir and Hugh Jackman. Oh yes, that was also the year she got to play with her girls' soccer team at Hindmarsh Stadium, as they'd made it through to the cup final - apart from a bit of wine at home occasionally with meals (we've been following the French style of alcohol education) I don't think she'd have even thought about hitting the bottle at a party at that age, nor would any of her friends from a whole range of different schools! Sounds like your bf's daughter might have too much time on her hands....

I certainly wouldn't worry if you have kids that your experience is typical of Adelaide. In fact, although I'm not in the love it or hate it brigade, one of the positives for me here is that kids can have a longer childhood here than they can in the UK, and there are a plethora of clubs and things they can join, whatever their interests, so even if their crowd at school might not be a healthy influence, they can have plenty of other friendship groups.

Yer, it isn't a case of too much time. She is heavily into sport and hardly gets any time off that. She has been allowed a little alcohol while at home, but it seems that isn't enough.

She now wants to hang around with 17/18 year olds with them driving here around all over the place! Apparently when she has been staying at one of her friends houses their parents have let them out and they have been coming home around 3am! P'd me off as I have been lecturing my boyfriend about if one of her friends comes to stay we have to be more strict on what they do as someone else's child is then his responsibility for the night. Grrrrr. But I'm not one of the parents, so very hard.

Guest shella_n

Wow, what an interesting thread!

we have been here 3 years and in that time lived in the north, south and Queensland. IMHO, nowhere is perfect but you have to find what works best for you. Yes, Adelaide has its faults, as does everywhere but overall I LOVE living in Australia and would never go back.

I would say we are a little worse off financially and definitely don't have such good prospects here and I was just saying last night to my hubbie that I don't think I would be brave enough to come in the current job market unless I had a job to go to - but that's just me and I'm pretty risk adverse.

after 3 years I still don't feel the need to go back - even for a holiday, although I am starting to get wistfull about having a proper Christmas.

i read on here a few years ago that its the "same ****, different bucket", and I have to say that is the one thing I've read on here that sums it up for me. There are still bills to pay, there will always be office politics, there will always be school bully's and young teenagers will always push the boundaries and get in trouble. For me though, I've chosen my bucket and its the gold and green one!

good luck with your decision making.

I came here with my wife and two young boys , we are happy here financially better off , I have a pretty good job working within the tree industry something I had never done before. I do think you have to come here with an open mind and definitely be prepared to take on a new challenge especially where work is concerned , Don't expect to walk into or get the job of your dreams it's hard if you not willing to adapt or change . Would I go back to the uk, NO !! Life here is so much better Winter can be cold and wet but nothing compared to uk, I lived in Malta for 2 and half years and climate pretty much the same . In the time I have lived here I have been fortunate to travel around a Good part of SA with work and yes Australia is massive but there is so little here if you know what I mean , you travel great distances to get to places I travelled from Adelaide to Sydney in a truck and you go through miles of nothingness to come into a small town and then more nothingness . It's a big big country with an island feel about it . I love it so do my family .... There is also the fact that my wife hasn't had to work and has been able to be there for our Boys , something that we couldn't have afforded to do in the UK .

Guest Nixipixi82
Yer, it isn't a case of too much time. She is heavily into sport and hardly gets any time off that. She has been allowed a little alcohol while at home, but it seems that isn't enough.

She now wants to hang around with 17/18 year olds with them driving here around all over the place! Apparently when she has been staying at one of her friends houses their parents have let them out and they have been coming home around 3am! P'd me off as I have been lecturing my boyfriend about if one of her friends comes to stay we have to be more strict on what they do as someone else's child is then his responsibility for the night. Grrrrr. But I'm not one of the parents, so very hard.

Thats called 'being a teenager', we all go through it. Anyone who didn't missed out! :wink:

Guest Nixipixi82
Yeah, right!

I don't suppose you've ever lived in London? Where some schools have metal detectors at the entrances, etc??? It is pretty rough. Some police/ school friends tell me some horrifying events that they have had to handle. From the news I hear from SA, and my friends over there, its nothing to here. UK cities are turning in to American cities, I could never bring a kid up here, hence to immigration :-)

Guest Guest12727
A couple of years ago here in Adelaide there were a load of kids stabbing each other. At least one died. Australia is no better.

I can find reference to 1 in 2008 when a 14year old boy was stabbed to death during a brawl in the city. Are there others?

I don't suppose you've ever lived in London? Where some schools have metal detectors at the entrances, etc??? It is pretty rough. Some police/ school friends tell me some horrifying events that they have had to handle. From the news I hear from SA, and my friends over there, its nothing to here. UK cities are turning in to American cities, I could never bring a kid up here, hence to immigration :-)

Emigrating to Australia seems an extreme response when you could just move out of London to a more civilised part of the UK.

Guest Nixipixi82
Emigrating to Australia seems an extreme response when you could just move out of London to a more civilised part of the UK.

It's not the only reason obviously, this isn't my application form!

Are we only thinking about teenagers and stabbing? If so, I can easily think of four over the last few years - there was the young teen killed in Adelaide (was he Sudenese?), an eighteen yo girl who stabbed her boyfriend (think he was in his thirties) then one 16/17yo stabbed in his stomach in the southern suburbs, then another one where the boy was stabbed numerous times, was in intensive care but is ok now.

TBH, I'm sure there are others plus incidents that wouldn't even be reported like the time one of the grafitti 'groups' ( can't think of an actual description at the moment but then it is late lol) went round with an iron bar to scare / attack other kids.

I know of kids who have carried knives in a stupid attempt to protect themselves against...knives. Ridiculous but that's kids for you, not always capable of rational thought.

i agree with Blossom AND Diane because my kids have been in both camps. I have one who was reassuringly academic and spent time, not working, with other nerds and one who seems able to fall in with any feral drug-taking idiot available. These idiots* do not think twice about smoking dope, taking googs (ecstasy?), and now ice. It's scary but I suppose society has a lot to answer for.

Drug taking, particularly marijuana, is portrayed in films, comedies etc as ok and a bit of a laugh and it's not for nothing that South Australia is renowned for cannabis use. What horrifies me as a parent (I totally get you on this, Blossom!) is the amount of parents who areabsolutely fine with their, often as young as 14yo, kids smoking marijuana with their mates in their own homes!!

Personally, I have encounterd a lot of kids who smoke, drink, take drugs and have sex and some are as young as Year 8 but whilst it saddens me, I doubt we are that different here. If you are thinking of migrating I wouldn't let it put you off because you might be lucky and never encounter these kids. Then again, you might but who's to say you wouldn't have had the same problem if you'd stayed in the UK?

LC

* their behaviour is not what I would hope but they are all very pleasant, well-mannered kids. Maybe 'idiot' shows my frustration?

is anyone willing to leave HONEST BRIEF COMMENT,STORY on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

whether moving to Oz (in hindsight) has been the best/worst decision ever!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,

Obviously Its very broad question and i am purely interested those mainly that have been in Oz say 1/2 yrs + (mainly but not exclusively.......) For most i expect it is a mix of .......

LIFESTYLE V FAMILY,,,,,

Ok, back to the OP!

We are happy. We were happy in England.

BUT we left friends and very little family. We waited because I would not leave my parents because I sooo enjoyed being with them. Everyone's different but I cannot imagine how awful it would be if I wanted to be with them and distance prevented me.

So, I would say to chose to be where you are most content would be most important. Sun is fab, Australia is wonderful but family cannot be replaced so if you miss being with them, go back and be happy. I doubt whether you would choose to live in a horrible, danger-filled place if you were to return so the kids will be fine!

:wubclub:

LC

No, I used to commute in. It seems fair to return the question: have you ever lived here?

In my previous post I was responding to what you said about kids taking class A drugs, spitting/punching at adults, carrying knives etc "here in the UK". I wasn't making a comparison with London, although I do ask what percentage of schools there do actually have metal detectors? How many people reading this still in the UK have kids whose schools have metal detectors? It's not the norm in the UK. (The metal-detectors-in-schools debate was happening in Australia before it was raised in the UK. Google it and restrict the search to Australian results and see what you find ...)

People on this site come from all corners of the UK (and beyond) and often compare the rather modestly sized Adelaide to the largest (and often worst they can recall/have heard about) cities of the UK. It tickles me when I read the "Adelaide is better than the UK' type of post. That will be the UK that's made up of four countries and 63 million people, will it? You know, the one that's a G8 superpower ... and it's being compared to a place that most Australians hardly regard as a city.

A global city like London that's many times bigger than Adelaide and which gets more visitors each year than the full population of Australia is likely to have issues (as well as opportunities – which is why so many people go there!) that Adelaide doesn't have. It's hardly a fair comparison.

Choosing a city (perhaps a county) with a similar population in the UK (one that isn't a few minutes drive to another similar or bigger city), you'll likely see very little difference in such things as crime levels between there and Adelaide. The better suburbs will perform better, the lower socio-economic ones will do worse, but generally, in developed countries, pretty much the same percentage of the population steal, are violent, do drugs, rob and kill. It's not what most migrants want to hear or what they choose to believe (a confirmatory bias means they see the good in the place where they want to be and the bad in the one they want to leave), but that's what all objective assessments show.

Edited by jim and adel

No, I used to commute in. It seems fair to return the question: have you ever lived here?

In my previous post I was responding to what you said about kids taking class A drugs, spitting/punching at adults, carrying knives etc "here in the UK". I wasn't making a comparison with London, although I do ask what percentage of schools there do actually have metal detectors? How many people reading this still in the UK have kids whose schools have metal detectors? It's not the norm in the UK. (The metal-detectors-in-schools debate was happening in Australia before it was raised in the UK. Google it and restrict the search to Australian results and see what you find ...)

People on this site come from all corners of the UK (and beyond) and often compare the rather modestly sized Adelaide to the largest (and often worst they can recall/have heard about) cities of the UK. It tickles me when I read the "Adelaide is better than the UK' type of post. That will be the UK that's made up of four countries and 63 million people, will it? You know, the one that's a G8 superpower ... and it's being compared to a place that most Australians hardly regard as a city.

A global city like London that's many times bigger than Adelaide and which gets more visitors each year than the full population of Australia is likely to have issues (as well as opportunities – which is why so many people go there!) that Adelaide doesn't have. It's hardly a fair comparison.

Choosing a city (perhaps a county) with a similar population in the UK (one that isn't a few minutes drive to another similar or bigger city), you'll likely see very little difference in such things as crime levels between there and Adelaide. The better suburbs will perform better, the lower socio-economic ones will do worse, but generally, in developed countries, pretty much the same percentage of the population steal, are violent, do drugs, rob and kill. It's not what most migrants want to hear or what they choose to believe (a confirmatory bias means they see the good in the place where they want to be and the bad in the one they want to leave), but that's what all objective assessments show.

Very true - whilst we used to live in Devon, we lived on a fairly poor estate with a high percentage of social housing and the police were always up there - drugs, domestic issues, even a gun related incident. And that was in rural Devon. It's all about location. The difference here in Australia seems to be we can now afford not only a bit bigger house (which is nice with 3 growing children), but also in a lovely rural location that doesn't appear to have the same crime levels as our old home.

Other than for family (who are already enjoying visiting), there is nothing that I want to go back to the UK for and Australia has been wonderful for us in our first year.