ALDI at Woodcroft ..... soon

wizzywozza

I will continue to support my local butcher, fruit and veg shop etc. Or even Coles and Woolies, who themselves are Australian. I have no intention in moving from UK to Aus and specifically going to a German cheap and cheerful supermarket.

You move country you move shopping experiences. If you like what you had you stay put!!

I also support SA businesses and will even pay a few cents extra to ensure I am doing so...which I can't really afford, but I think it's THAT important.

I think most of us here bought extra Fern Gully products when the company was facing its demise, but really, we all need to support SA companies before they reach that point. Surely we all want a flourishing local economy where money, jobs and taxes stay here?

All that said, I don't think you have to do one or the other. I like going to new shops and I'm interested in seeing what Aldi is like. I don't imagine for a minute that will change my basic purchasing habits. I might try a couple of interesting new foreign products, but my shopping basket will still aim to be as full of SA and Australian products as possible.

One thing that really hacks me off is when you think you are supporting an Australian company when its actually owned by a foreign one - like Arnotts, Chiko, Vegemite, Golden Circle, Allen's.....and when I buy Coles or Woolies branded products, I make sure the contents are Australian..no Italian tomatoes for me lol!

When we lived in the UK, we bought UK products; now we live here, we buy Aussie. Simples!

LC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you only sell Aussie made goods in your shop?? LOL

True to form, you have a dig at me and my business,anyway I will bite...

I don't have a shop, i have a website that imports things....products that aren't otherwise available here.

Also I don't sell food, which is different to buying imported baked beans compered to Australian (as an example). It was pretty clear I was talking about food in my post.

I also support SA businesses and will even pay a few cents extra to ensure I am doing so...which I can't really afford, but I think it's THAT important.

I think most of us here bought extra Fern Gully products when the company was facing its demise, but really, we all need to support SA companies before they reach that point. Surely we all want a flourishing local economy where money, jobs and taxes stay here?

All that said, I don't think you have to do one or the other. I like going to new shops and I'm interested in seeing what Aldi is like. I don't imagine for a minute that will change my basic purchasing habits. I might try a couple of interesting new foreign products, but my shopping basket will still aim to be as full of SA and Australian products as possible.

One thing that really hacks me off is when you think you are supporting an Australian company when its actually owned by a foreign one - like Arnotts, Chiko, Vegemite, Golden Circle, Allen's.....and when I buy Coles or Woolies branded products, I make sure the contents are Australian..no Italian tomatoes for me lol!

When we lived in the UK, we bought UK products; now we live here, we buy Aussie. Simples!

LC

I think those are all fair points re supporting Aus companies :) I don't mind spending an extra few cents on things but they have to be better quality or something I actually then like the taste of or prefer over another brand too. Alas for some of the items in my shopping basket, I've gone back to the multinational owned brand over the Aus one as quite frankly, didn't like the Aus one anywhere near as much and would therefore rather not keep spending money on something we don't like and enjoy as much. And I don't have bottomless pockets to be able to buy the high end Aus brand bottle that is only half the size and would be gone inside a few days rather than lasting us a week or more.

I tried a few brands of yogurt (so did son), didn't like many of them and found one I love, an Aus brand, but its almost $3 for a small pot and over $7 for a large tub. I can't justify putting that in the shopping trolley as a regular thing so its an occasional treat to us. I've been making yogurt at home to keep costs down as my son eats his way through a litre in 2-3 days. And we tried a fair few brands for him when we got here and he wasn't having a bar of it, so going back to making it at home means he is happy as he likes it and I save money. Win win for us, the food company and shops are the ones losing out. I was doing this in the UK also so its not a new thing.

I support my local butcher and grocer but do also get these in the supermarket if I need to. I try to buy Aus fruit and veg and stopped buying some fruit once they swapped over to imported from overseas. I'll wait till they come back into season again here :)

Bread is a bit of a bug bear and the price of it isn't cheap. I've tried everything from the cheap and nasty (and it was really cheap and nasty and hubby and I both said we'd rather spend a few extra dollars than have to eat that stuff) to the more expensive brands. We've settled on a brand we like, its $5 a loaf in the supermarkets. If they have specials on it I bulk buy and more so if its then in the reduced bin at the end of the day for 99c! I've been known to somehow carry home 10 loaves to freeze lol. I buy from the bakers sometimes but that is even more expensive and given how much of the stuff we get through for lunches/breakfast, I can't spend $6 plus a loaf. As soon as we are in our own house (hopefully not long now) I am going to be making my own. I'll buy Aus flour to make the bread but that'll be it for bread from the shops pretty much.

I've made sure to shop for non day to day stuff at local business round here too. I bought my swimsuit from a locally owned shop over going to one of the big stores. Same for my bike. Could have ordered the bike for $50 less online from a big chain place and had it delivered but both hubby and I were happy to give them our business as they were really helpful and so on when we were looking. I take it back for services there aswell so they get repeat business from us.

I think for us, looking back over what I've written is that I try to be aware and buy Aus or local when I can but in some circumstances or simply for cost and/or a personal preference, we buy what we like over what is maybe local or Aus made. Which is how it was in the UK also. I did far more online shopping there than here now I think about it. So many small businesses here don't have much of an online presence that that has taken a nosedive. I used to love finding a small local company online and being able to order goods in the post. There isn't as much of that here. At least not when I've been looking for stuff. I guess I'll get better at it once I have more computer access when we move.

Guest Guest75

All this discussion about buying Australian will not matter a frozen fart once the big discounters arrive.

The majority will buy whatever the cheapest brand is.

I'm seeing this as I help out with an online sales company - "cheap and Chinese??? - yes please!"

Look at the UK....................if everyone had bought British would the country have lost a lot of it's industry and brands.

We try where we can but Aussie buying is hard - and some of the Iconic brands are owned internationally anyway!

• 5 months later...
Well it's been confirmed today. WOODCROFT plus 10 other sites.

Care to say where that confirmation came from? Last I heard was that Aldi pulled out of the deal due to the owners of the Woodcroft center wanting a direct line into the shops financial files so that they could check that they received the correct percentage of the shop's takings. I've heard of other potential shop renters who pulled the plug for the same reason. Don't ask for proof as I personally don't have any. Aldi were supposedly going to Seaford instead.

Care to say where that confirmation came from? Last I heard was that Aldi pulled out of the deal due to the owners of the Woodcroft center wanting a direct line into the shops financial files so that they could check that they received the correct percentage of the shop's takings. I've heard of other potential shop renters who pulled the plug for the same reason. Don't ask for proof as I personally don't have any. Aldi were supposedly going to Seaford instead.

Umm, did you read the article in the link Dianne provided? It's on there that Aldi have said they are going to Woodcroft. Don't know how accurate Adelaide Now's sources are, but the article reads like the information has come directly from Aldi.

Read the article in the Advertiser, Diane has left you a link. But i suppose you would rather listen to hearsay.:skeptical:

Personally, I wouldn't be so dismissive of hearsay!

I have seen stories in the media which bear no relation to what I know to be true.

IMHO, you should give DougM a break...he might turn out to be right.:smile:*

LC

* And if he isn't, who really gives a rat's? :cool:

And so may Wizzywozza :smile: is Elise still playing her bass. :)

Very pleased to hear Aldi is coming to Adelaide. Whilst I make a real effort to buy locally (all my fruit, veg, meat, dairy comes from farmers markets/central markets/local grocers etc) I welcome the competition Aldi will bring to Coles and Woolworths, which in my opinion, are expensive in relation to the pretty average quality they offer.

We visit Aldi in Victoria a couple of times a year when visiting my partner's family and find it great to stock up on certain items for the pantry that are often half price or less than you'd pay in Coles/Woolies. I plan on continuing to buy fresh produce locally, but if a product is imported regardless of where I buy it, I'd rather get it much cheaper from Aldi than support the duopoly.

Very pleased to hear Aldi is coming to Adelaide. Whilst I make a real effort to buy locally (all my fruit, veg, meat, dairy comes from farmers markets/central markets/local grocers etc) I welcome the competition Aldi will bring to Coles and Woolworths, which in my opinion, are expensive in relation to the pretty average quality they offer.

We visit Aldi in Victoria a couple of times a year when visiting my partner's family and find it great to stock up on certain items for the pantry that are often half price or less than you'd pay in Coles/Woolies. I plan on continuing to buy fresh produce locally, but if a product is imported regardless of where I buy it, I'd rather get it much cheaper from Aldi than support the duopoly.

Aldi in Brisbane advertise that all their fresh meat, fruit and veg comes from Australian farmers, which is more than can be said about the two main supermarkets!though the quality of Aldi's fruit and veg is sometimes grotty, so we are very picky in what we get. But other than their terrible till service, no real gripes about Aldi.

In todays community newspaper it reports that Aldi have revealed plans to build four stores in the southern suburbs.

The sites identified this side of the world are Seaford heights, Woodcroft, Hallett Cove and Port Noarlunga. I can't see Port Noarlunga getting one but maybe they mean Noarlunga?

They also say that the north is going to get 7 stores.

Maybe someone can list the location of these stores as the community newspaper doesn't state where they are?

It reports that the stores will create more than 1000 jobs so that's good news for South Australia.

Maybe someone can list the location of these stores as the community newspaper doesn't state where they are?

From the link I posted : "The German supermarket company says it will set up shop in Seaford Heights, Kilburn, Parafield Gardens, Blakeview, Hallett Cove, Woodcroft, Gilles Plains, Salisbury, Modbury, St Agnesand Noarlunga."

Guest Spitfire
can anyone enlighten me as to what they are like?

They are low-price stuff because of the business model they operate, making savings on staff and presentation. Like the Australian Ikea, which is the most expensive in the world, we can presume this will be the most expensive Aldi in the world as well, but it will still be cheaper than Coles and Woolsworth, because undercutting them is what Aldi do. Personally I am looking forward to more competition in this sector and cannot believe they got the rights to trade here past the massive opposition Coles must have put up.

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to see Aldi in Adelaide! Loved it back in Europe/Germany. Cheap prices, very competitive and bringing these kind of arrogant and overprized Australian supermarket chains to an end! We do it like soo_the_panda, pit stop in Melbourne & Sydney and all that fabulous chocolate etc. in our luggage.

While it will be interesting to have a look around an Aldi and see what's what I'm not sure it would become one of my regular haunts.

Woolies is US owned, Aldi is German owned, Coles is Australian owned and Foodland is South Australian owned. A such Foodies gets my business wherever possible.

Just sayin'

While it will be interesting to have a look around an Aldi and see what's what I'm not sure it would become one of my regular haunts.

Woolies is US owned, Aldi is German owned, Coles is Australian owned and Foodland is South Australian owned. A such Foodies gets my business wherever possible.

Just sayin'

Woolworths isn't American owned, it's an Australian company (with the same name as an American company but no other connection).