A post about being back in UK

adelaidenow

Following on from the last post that someone put about a trip to UK, I thought i would start a new one. They said they saw lots of solar panels...

I haven't seen any solar panels, very little sun and lots of people - not ones I know, just people everywhere.

SHOPS

I used to love Oxford st. But boy has it changed. Selfridges is full of loud noise, concessions and is not what it was, Hamleys...had to leave (I know that's Regent St). John Lewis was as classy as ever, and M&S I still have a soft spot for...I worked there for years.

Sports Direct is the place for bargains,and the 2 LFC stores (in Liverpool) are just full of great people and great merchandise.

NEWS

The number of murders, rapes and such like you read of, either just happened or the trials is staggering. Yes there more than twice the number of people living here, but there is far more than twice the number of crimes I read about - and again I know I am reading about the whole country rather than just one City, as we do get mostly local news.

EATING

The chips from a chippy are good, I do prefer UK chips I have to say! Walking back from a superb Indian restaurant (http://eastzeast.com) at 9-30 at night in daylight in spring is good too.

CULTURE

TV and radio there is more choice and better (well for me) quality. Seeing all the theatres in both London and Liverpool with so much on, and reading the listings of what will be coming, did remind me of what I miss in Aus.

FRIENDS AND FAMILY

As I come back regularly at the moment, I am seeing different sets of friends, family, ex colleagues each time, and that's good. I have found Good friendships continue even if you don't live in the same country, and the ones I have caught up with mainly this time, are not ones I often talk to on social media, yet it didn't feel like years since we last met!

CONCLUSION

To sum up, I am having great time, don't get me wrong, but the cold, wet, noise and general pace of UK has made me realise again how much better Aus is than UK.

If miracles happen and I do witness LFC win the league, I will probably change my mind and tell you how everything here is great and I will forget the cold and enjoy being in pubs with thousands celebrating!!

Now time for a good English breakfast then off to the game.

I loved being back in England last year for so many reasons, but I found London very crowded, dirty and congested, much worse than I remembered it being (and I used to work there). The congestion charge has done nothing to ease congestion and there was a strong smell of diesel fumes (which reminded me of my childhood when I used to feel sick driving through London because of the fumes). There were just so many tourists everywhere, probably a legacy of the Olympics the year before, it was pretty unbearable in places. All those people getting into the British Museum for free!

There were just so many tourists everywhere, probably a legacy of the Olympics the year before, it was pretty unbearable in places. All those people getting into the British Museum for free!

Last year more people visited London than in any previous year in its history. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in a few months' time - along with some other fave places I haven't been to for a while ...

Train from Fazakerley to Central….. seemed to be loads of solar panels. Also train line from Manchester to Liverpool. Made me smile cos there have only been a few times I've actually seen the sun there….. :D Town centre is people friendly. People have time to help you out. Still love going to Liverpool, consider it as one of my global homes.

Dislike Oxford St. Shops overheated and it was only October/ early November. People on the street just annoying in general.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed our visit to London. We went to The Shard (make sure you visit the toilets, even if you don't want to go, best view from a toilet I have seen ha ha), the Borough Market great food stalls and cakes including lamingtons (photos attached) which is only a couple of minutes walk from The Shard and we visited the Cutty Sark which we found interesting and there are quite a few references to Australia. Our friends live around Brixton and we had a walk down Electric Avenue (anyone remember the Eddy Grant song in the 80's?) and had a great pizza at Franco Manca, which we discovered when we got back to Adelaide was in The Advertiser travel supplement as a recommended place to eat in London.

P1040789.jpg

P1040766.jpg

P1040767.jpg

We had a quick look at the Shard, wanted to see exactly where it was as I used to work in the red brick building in these photos (not in the shops - the upper floors are all offices). The Shard is extremely close, it would have been very noisy when it was being built. My sister works for Mace, the company that project managed the building of the Shard and she was closely involved with it all. Didn't have time to go inside though.

DSCN3335.jpg

DSCN3334.jpg

Edited by Anne B

Had to change the original post because some folk on here would either Mis read it or take offence. I wanted to throw my two pennies in and like to say that London was great in areas to visit but to live and work there it was awful. I rather adelaide all day long.

Edited by KennyKen

I recall, back in 2003, after a 4 week holiday to Australia how shocked we were landing back in Heathrow - the amount of people, the pace, the rudeness.........and that was just after a 4 week break. Then again, we lived in Devon before moving here so never been big city people. Great for a day trip, love the things to see....but to live in..........*horror*

Hi I also has a 3 week trip back to Uk in April this and wold like to add my two pennies worth !

What shocked me on arrival was how fast and close cars travel. The amount of people everywhere. Having to queue to pay for everything !! Small homes, small rooms, cars parked half on path/road (forgot these things).

Plus I got sick with a dreadful cold. Yes it was lovely to see a few family & friends but after a few days of staying in peoples homes I just wanted to come home to Australia.

A lot more people smile in Oz than in UK. I didn't enjoy the shopping as much as I thought I would as Im used to where I go here in OZ now. The Uk seemed scruffier than I remember, lots of patched up roads etc.

Im glad Im here :) :)

Guest BurgessFamily

Liverpool and London, probably the last two places I would visit if I was going back. :)

Tell me about Wales, Ireland, Yorkshire, Cumbria etc... my ears are open.

What shocked me on arrival was how fast and close cars travel. The amount of people everywhere. Having to queue to pay for everything !! Small homes, small rooms, cars parked half on path/road (forgot these things).

We said the same thing about the cars parked everywhere, a lot of the roads were down to a single lane because of all the cars parked along them and like you say half on the path/road.

We enjoyed our visit to London. We went to The Shard

This is one of the reasons I love this site!

When I read Jessica Berry's post, I wondered what on earth The Shard was. Thanks to Google I now know and it looks pretty amazing. Plus I kinda want to visit the toilets there now!

So, thank you, JB! And adelaidenow, of course,

:smile: LC

Guest Guest75
I am happy to tell you about them, all cold wet and not much going for them :-)

Well obviously since we left..........................