What have you done today to get yourself to Aus?

snifter

Although sounding a little harsh, I would agree completely maybe even go one step further than what Snifter has stated. We have found our relatives are generally positive however we have had one or two slightly negative experiences which we believe are just for show. I strongly believe it is your life and you have to live it how you see as appropriate, that maybe abroad, with or without grand children etc etc.

You must concentrate on the positives of your move otherwise you risk finding reasons to fail. Your relatives must also wish you well, there maybe tears and emotions however anything more I would see as being selfish!

S

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true!! my parents are handling things better than Craigs (or atleast that's how it seems) even though we hardly ever see craigs parents!! they don't bother to come and see us, they live 1hr 30 mins away by car, the only time we see them is when we make the effort! My parents and aunt and uncle are always there for us and are very close to our kids, yet they are the most understanding.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Your relatives must also wish you well, there maybe tears and emotions however anything more I would see as being selfish!

S

Ouch!......I'm not sure it is selfish.......just like when someone dies and we cry, the tears are not for that person but for ourselves, for how we will miss them, what we will miss out on, that we will never see them again.

It is human nature (self preservation) to relate events to ourselves. If you look at it from that point of view you can understand why some relatives/friends express those feelings in an unsupportive way. Our brains are wired to protect ourselves and so somewhere in their minds there is the thought that 'it might work' and you might stay and therefore they will not be hurt. if they were able to think about it from the outside they would see that that plan probably won't work and will be more painful.

Don't forget, if our minds were not able to 'see' the good things of moving here but could only read about them no one would ever make the move as we would be too busy seeing what we would lose.

Guest Claire-n-tel

People often tell themselves for years that they really must keep in touch and they really do mean to (how many times have you meant to spend more time with old friends) By deciding to emigrate don't forget you are taking away their chance to do that. If it would ever have happened is often doubtful but usually the intention is there

Flights booked (singapore airlines) last week for the 3 of us for a recce trip to Adelaide coming out for the whole of November (2014) - 2 weeks with friends in melbourne . 2 weeks recce in Adelaide...

Today I have been trawling through countless websites for short term lets for this 2 week period in Nov....We cant wait

190 visa approved 7th July - looking at relocating end of 2015/ beginning of school term 2016

• 3 weeks later...
Flights booked (singapore airlines) last week for the 3 of us for a recce trip to Adelaide coming out for the whole of November (2014) - 2 weeks with friends in melbourne . 2 weeks recce in Adelaide...

Today I have been trawling through countless websites for short term lets for this 2 week period in Nov....We cant wait

190 visa approved 7th July - looking at relocating end of 2015/ beginning of school term 2016

Hoping you've found a holiday rental for your stay in Adelaide.

There are a heap of holiday apartments in and around the western beach suburbs with pretty easy access to the city and elsewhere (if you have a car).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest berries

Booked in for my IELTS need to get 20 points or wont have enough for ss visa!!!!! soooo just revising a little everyday for that

Trying to locate info for skills assessment which I will send off after I have passed my English test !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hoping you've found a holiday rental for your stay in Adelaide.

There are a heap of holiday apartments in and around the western beach suburbs with pretty easy access to the city and elsewhere (if you have a car).

Thanks Snifter, (apologies for the late reply.. busy at work.. earning the coin to pay for all of this!!:SLEEP:)

Anyway found a great looking place on West beach (well I hope it is!!.. LOl.. booked with STAYZ.. ) we will have the hire car and really looking forward to checking out Adelaide and the surrounding 'burbs and city

Just the checking out the car rental options now..(booking this in Melbourne.. as we will be doing the drive to and from Mel to Adelaide)

We have Finalised all our skilled assessment paperwork and ready to be posted off tomorrow..hopefully all will be ok. Does anyone know how long it will take to process , my partner Is a carpenter so he is not sure what to expect from the skilled assessement.. The paperwork has been hard enough!! But another step further :-) xx

• 3 weeks later...

Oh really thats brilliant your almost at the end, we had a long wait from our medicals from Feb till 1st of August but only because they had reached their limits for the year. They seem to be back to processing quickly so youll hopefully hear in the next few weeks. Youll be glad thats the biggest hurdle over, good luck :wink:

Oh I hope so, it feels like we have been trying forever! We plan to go in March, we are in the process of booking a short term rental for 4 weeks in port noarlunga, but that's just until we decide where we want to live, as you say it's such a hard decision, I like to get a feel for places, do you have any children? We have that to take into consideration x

No kids yet so dont have that worry yet. Ooo I had looked at Port noarlunga too, it loooks lovely will definitely be going to have a look at it, though Charlie has spoken with a man on here who might be able to get him a bit off work in the eastern suburbs, so think it might just be a little too far, but we need to give the guy a call when we are going out just to make sure he still has a lot of work on fingers crossed. Yeh your right you need to get a feel of the places, i find it hard to tell from a map just how far places are away from each other. You wont be long coming out after us then :-)

Good luck look forward to seeing your VISA GRANT post :jiggy:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Well that's the house sold....move out at end of month.

shipping sorted.....notice handed in at work.

looking to fly out between 6th and 9th November.....what a long journey this has been!!

so much to sort out.....just want to get there now :jiggy:

Congrats on the house sale and enjoy the last weeks there. Enjoy the last few weeks, its a lovely time of year to be arriving though the heat can be a bit of a shock if its cold when you left.

Give a shout on here once you arrive :) Be good to know you've arrived safe and sound :)

• 1 month later...

Well...spent the last 3 days at a Centre Parcs near London with my family after a week of goodbyes at home in Scotland.

Looking forward to flying out from Heathrow at 22:05 tomorrow night on Singapore Airlines. Horrible rain and fog here so hoping flight isn't delayed and things go to plan!

My international transfer of cash only just cleared 5 mins ago after a nightmare of multiple phone calls and document checks which have lasted all week...just glad we have cash in ANZ now for arrival.

Have hotel booked for 1st couple of nights...then Tamara has us sorted for 11 days after that

Can't believe we are finally going to Oz!!

Will post as soon as I can after arriving

Cheers all!