British expats needed for Marks & Spencer survey!

Guest Marks and Spencer

well show me somewhere to buy decent knickers that dont shrink or fall apart within a couple of months? Personally the clothing quality is appalling here, chris worked in textiles/still does in uniform sector , hes knows about garment technology etc.

He thinks its because there is no middle market like uk eg marks and spencers, next .

So clothing is either mass produced using inferior chemicals and cheap or good quality and expensive eg boutique things. They also treat the garments differently many arent fully shrunk fitted like in uk. One solution im told is not to spin clothes as much but ive even started buying clothes a size bigger as they all damwell shrink lol. He also said its quite amazing how expensive clothes are here considering the vast amount of oz clothing is produced in far east, china and fiji as examples so australia makes huge huge profits. Pacific brands for eg has shut its production and moved to far east. I think you will find that the vast majority of clothing if not the material isnt australian produced, has gone same way as uk textile industry did :P , but its taxed more and companies make up is alot more than the uk. eg a basic pair of jean with no branding put on would cost $6, go figure!!

That sound pretty much how the uk is going right now.....everything made overseas on the cheap and crap quality.....and i am not just talking about clothes.

I am just saying that i would rather spend my hard earned $$$s here in an Oz shop than anywhere else, ok the product might be made off shore but i would be putting money back into an economy that is trying its hardest to fight off what is going to be some of the hardest times that we have ever been through.

As if the economy over here goes totally crap then the first ppl who should be looking over their shoulders are us guys who are here due to the Oz government wanting us to help the skills shortage.....it could get alot worse then there would not be a skills shortage.....and then they could end up sending some guys back to the UK....i am going to be doing my best to stay here.....and if that means buying items that might not be of good quality or have a brand name on then so be it.;)

I dnt hear many of the true out and out Aussies, complaining much about the quality of clothes, to be fair i dnt hear then complain about much at all.

Maybe the uk are too spoilt, or too posh.

That sound pretty much how the uk is going right now.....everything made overseas on the cheap and crap quality.....and i am not just talking about clothes.

I am just saying that i would rather spend my hard earned $$$s here in an Oz shop than anywhere else, ok the product might be made off shore but i would be putting money back into an economy that is trying its hardest to fight off what is going to be some of the hardest times that we have ever been through.

As if the economy over here goes totally crap then the first ppl who should be looking over their shoulders are us guys who are here due to the Oz government wanting us to help the skills shortage.....it could get alot worse then there would not be a skills shortage.....and then they could end up sending some guys back to the UK....i am going to be doing my best to stay here.....and if that means buying items that might not be of good quality or have a brand name on then so be it.;)

I dnt hear many of the true out and out Aussies, complaining much about the quality of clothes, to be fair i dnt hear then complain about much at all.

Yeah but martin, your not buying aussie your buying the samecrap stuff thats made in china except you will pay more money for it here than the us or the uk. Its not about being posh lol, crikey youve met me im the least poshist person i know. But it doesnt mean you are losing your allegiance to oz if you buy a jumper from the uk occassionally lol :biglaugh:

As they say, what you've never had, you'll never miss.

My true blue Aussie Mother-in-Law loves M&S, last time she was here she bought loads of clothes in the sales to take back to Aus. She still goes on about how great one particular pair of trousers were.!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I reckon Claire is right about second rate cheap china stuff here. A lot of stuff breaks quick here, but I did buy a rake and a garden fork that was "proudly Australian made" they both broke very quickly and I felt Australia should not be too proud of those 2 products.

I know Too Easy loves his bonds but my 2 teenagers wear them and they buy them themselves as I refuse too on the grounds they are the poorest quality underwear I have ever washed. A pair of boxers I first bought my son one christmas were thrown out by september when I pegged them on the line and could see through them!

I personnally dont like M&S because being a 70s school kid if you wore something from Marks you or your parents were "old people", and I cant get past that I am afraid. Marks and spencers is for biddies!!! :jiggy:The only thing I bought there was bras, and that was out of necessity.

Now if Primark Matalan or Asda came here or delivered here I would be first in line I am afraid, knocking all the rest of you over with my handbag without a thought of guilt!

I stilll have nickers from Primark and I have been here 3 years! The ones I bought cheapish in Target already have hanging bits of cotton on them tickiling my leg when I walk so I think there is a spider on me!

Guest graandjac

Thought this thread would turn into one of the ....you know intresting ones.:biglaugh:...but its gone the other way ......lol, Poor old M&S looks like they might have to re think......or was it just a free advert.......me thinks so:skeptical:

Tell you what would be an excellent PR move for M&S - they should come over here and take over the Pacific Brands manufacturing plant, re-employ all the recently laid-off Australian workers from that firm, and start making some decent underwear here in Australia, for sale to Australians!

I think it's appalling how the workers from that firm have been treated, especially after all the government help they've had, and the huge bonusses that the CEO happily accepted shortly before breaking the news - I've not kept totally up to date with it all but last I heard the Australian transport union were trying to block the shipping of the manufacturing plant machinery to China so hopefully it's still there up for grabs!

Personally in our household we won't be buying any more Bonds underwear once it's being made in China! If M&S would like to step in and fill the gap with Australian-made undies, I'll support them!

Just done the survey by the way, and can't help cringing that some of the options of what is missed most from the UK include "The Sun" and "Uk Gossip Magazines" - two of the things that made leaving the country in the first place seem such an attractive option!

Diane

Guest spannaelephant

tell me more.....................did you pay import dutiy etc, if so, at what cost..................a very needy mum here!!???:wideeyed:

Well I have no shame, I've already used the international delivery for all my lovely new undies and it was worth every single penny!:P

I ordered ballet stuff from the US from the internet and paid no import duty whatsoever. Oh and just a thought who wears the same undies for years anyway? Although must admit the navy school undies my mum bought me from M&S just before we left England were indestructable and I swear they grew with me .....:biglaugh:

Guest redfoxy
I'm so off to look, thanks

Bllonin eck thats just cost me 118 quid !!

with the free delivery its not bad and there are quite a few things reduced..

YES i do miss a lot of UK shops. M & S, primark, wallis, etc

BUT i would still rather be here, everyday !!

the SAD thing is if M & S were ever to open in OZ it WONT be here in Adelaide !! it will be in Sydeny I guess...

But yes free delivery is nice..as there are not many shopping web sites here that live up to M & S and others in the UK like TESCO !!

We are a bit behind on internet shopping here and also on quality of these top notch web sites like them.

Fingers crossed for the free voucher on competition !!

Just to add my 10 cents worth, I really miss M&S School check dresses they were the only place that did pure cotton dresses and they would last until my kids grew out of them, not only did it make a difference for my daughter having eczema, which didn't aggreviate so much, but the auzzie stubbie's is complete rubbish fell apart within weeks of wear, material is thin and bobbly.

Trying to organise some of my family to send some out to me now.

Sorry but I for one would love to see M&S here in Adelaide.

Julie

Oh lordy, late for this party too!!!!

Look, girls and boys, ya pays ya money...................and lets face it quality counts!

Foundation garments cost a bob or three here, i noticed; even target costs and arm and a foot!!

AND what is a 14D???.......i need inches (no smutty remarks please) and a cup size!! I really dont have the time to get fitted................and my white under garments are looking decidely , well, not so persil white as they once used to!

14 is a bit too loose, 12 too snug, dilema.......................a middle aged woman wi'out support..............is it pretty? i think not.

BTW, i heard that Walmart had made an application to the aussies for a store or two; and given that COSTCO open in Mel this year......................the gate opens. And Tesco IS already in Malaysia, singapore too, im told.....................

Happy Days

Jane

Guest graandjac
Oh lordy, late for this party too!!!!

Look, girls and boys, ya pays ya money...................and lets face it quality counts!

Foundation garments cost a bob or three here, i noticed; even target costs and arm and a foot!!

AND what is a 14D???.......i need inches (no smutty remarks please) and a cup size!! I really dont have the time to get fitted................and my white under garments are looking decidely , well, not so persil white as they once used to!

14 is a bit too loose, 12 too snug, dilema.......................a middle aged woman wi'out support..............is it pretty? i think not.

BTW, i heard that Walmart had made an application to the aussies for a store or two; and given that COSTCO open in Mel this year......................the gate opens. And Tesco IS already in Malaysia, singapore too, im told.....................

Happy Days

Jane

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:Happy Days....pmsl