Australia Citizenship - What's the update?

deftown

On 8/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, JayK said:

Indeed this is a very quiet group. Anyone knows whether we can apply citizenship for kids as we await to fulfill the residency requirement? I noted that kids do not require to satisfy the residency criteria.

No I think either Parent (Guardian) can add kids to her/his Citizenship application. For example, if a spouse of the primary applicant was out of Australia for more than 1 year, she/he will not have full-filled the Residency criteria by the time main applicant applies the Citizenship. However, if they both have kids below 16 years of age, they can be included into Primary applicants' Citizenship application. And sometimes, Department simply doesn't consider secondary applicants Residence Requirements either as it is just only one member of the family unit.

18 hours ago, sam_may_2020 said:

what to do after getting PR?

How to update on medicare?
Should we register at Centrelink?
Do we need to tell the bank about our visa update?

No need to update the Medicare as new cards will be delivered to ur registered address if you already have interim medicare cards

Yes you need to register for Centrelink. Call centrelink and ask them for a linking code which u can use to link Centrelink with myGov account.

Not sure if bank may be interested in the visa types until u r taking any home loan etc.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, a4anudeep said:

Hey guys

Updating my citizenship timeline as an Australian 🙂

Citizenship Application Date :  15 Oct 2019

Interview/Test Date :  31 Jan 2020 initially but reschedule to Feb 17th 2020 

Approval : 17 Feb 2020

Ceremony date: 10 July 2020

Good luck emoji106.png everyone emoji109.png

Sent from my ONEPLUS using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Edited by JOGC

On 7/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, a4anudeep said:

Hey guys

Updating my citizenship timeline as an Australian 🙂

Citizenship Application Date :  15 Oct 2019

Interview/Test Date :  31 Jan 2020 initially but reschedule to Feb 17th 2020 

Approval : 17 Feb 2020

Ceremony date: 10 July 2020

Good luck emoji106.png everyone emoji109.png

Sent from my ONEPLUS using Tapatalk

Congratulations @a4anudeep !!  Just a quick question, What do you mean by Interview/Test Date ? Is there an Interview for the applicants as well ?

On 8/22/2020 at 11:32 PM, DVR said:

No I think either Parent (Guardian) can add kids to her/his Citizenship application. For example, if a spouse of the primary applicant was out of Australia for more than 1 year, she/he will not have full-filled the Residency criteria by the time main applicant applies the Citizenship. However, if they both have kids below 16 years of age, they can be included into Primary applicants' Citizenship application. And sometimes, Department simply doesn't consider secondary applicants Residence Requirements either as it is just only one member of the family unit.

Our PR was granted last week and we are expecting a first new born later this year. I understand that a child born to parents with PR become Australian citizens. Is my understanding correct? Also how do we apply for the citizenship of the new born and can we get a Australian passport for the new born.

Appreciate your guidance

11 minutes ago, 887pos said:

Our PR was granted last week and we are expecting a first new born later this year. I understand that a child born to parents with PR become Australian citizens. Is my understanding correct? Also how do we apply for the citizenship of the new born and can we get a Australian passport for the new born.

Appreciate your guidance

Congratulations brother, yes, Your kid will be Citizen. Once you get the birth certificate, you can apply for the passport. You don't have to attend to ceremony or anything  

On 8/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, DVR said:

Congratulations @a4anudeep !!  Just a quick question, What do you mean by Interview/Test Date ? Is there an Interview for the applicants as well ?

@DVR Yes there is test. 

The citizenship test will assess your knowledge of Australia, its people, laws, beliefs rights and liberties. Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond has all the information you need to help you pass the citizenship test

Here are the links 
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/watch-our-common-bond-video

On 9/1/2020 at 7:59 AM, sam_may_2020 said:

Awesome Thanks Brother. Like 887, do we have provide evidence of all the documents, living proofs, Tax returns, earnings, etc ?  

On 8/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, jaknap3 said:

No need to update the Medicare as new cards will be delivered to ur registered address if you already have interim medicare cards

Yes you need to register for Centrelink. Call centrelink and ask them for a linking code which u can use to link Centrelink with myGov account.

Not sure if bank may be interested in the visa types until u r taking any home loan etc.

I got in touch with Medicare today regarding my interim medicare cards as they are expiring soon and I haven't received the new permanent cards yet. They told me I have to fill in the Medicare form again, tick on renrollment on the form, send them attested copies of passport and PR Visa proof again to get the new medicare cards. I feel this is waste of time. Did anyone else do this? 

1 hour ago, justaguy said:

I got in touch with Medicare today regarding my interim medicare cards as they are expiring soon and I haven't received the new permanent cards yet. They told me I have to fill in the Medicare form again, tick on renrollment on the form, send them attested copies of passport and PR Visa proof again to get the new medicare cards. I feel this is waste of time. Did anyone else do this? 

I mean.. You could just give them what they're asking. It'll take more time to contest what they said than to just give it to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20 minutes ago, rsnnlcnns said:

I mean.. You could just give them what they're asking. It'll take more time to contest what they said than to just give it to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well what did you expect? Of course I gave them what they’re asking. Where did I say I didn’t give them what they’re asking?

just asking to find this process strange to reapply again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks.

Hope this is in the right/suitable place.

My question is in regards applying for Citizenship. I will have been here in Adelaide 4 years on May 2021. I came over from the UK on a Spouse Visa, so I have been on PR the whole time.

What would happen if I submitted my application now, say?

What I'm concerned about is the application is rejected and obviously no refund, and then I would have to apply and pay again in May.

There is a reason why I'm thinking about applying early, just wanted to know if anyone knew of advantages and disadvantages, consequences.

Thanks

Johnny

On 9/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, Jonleahy said:

Hi folks.

Hope this is in the right/suitable place.

My question is in regards applying for Citizenship. I will have been here in Adelaide 4 years on May 2021. I came over from the UK on a Spouse Visa, so I have been on PR the whole time.

What would happen if I submitted my application now, say?

What I'm concerned about is the application is rejected and obviously no refund, and then I would have to apply and pay again in May.

There is a reason why I'm thinking about applying early, just wanted to know if anyone knew of advantages and disadvantages, consequences.

Thanks

Johnny

There is a citizenship calculator on DHA website to show whether you are eligible to apply when you want to apply. It will only allow short holidays outside of Australia. 

Hi there,

I have a question regarding citizenship application with regards to dates and wonder if anyone can help me with it..

First Entry (on 489): 18th May 2017

Left: 26th May 2017

Second Entry (moved permanently): 2nd April 2018

PR Granted: 22nd Sept 2020

As of 22nd Sept 2021, I will have stayed 1 year on PR and as I first entered in May 2017, I will have crossed 4 years since first entry... and less that 1 year outside from first entry...

Can I apply on 22nd Sept 2020 or do I have to wait for 4 years from date of permanent movement?

Secondly, If let's say a within a 4 year duration, a person has been out of the country for 1 year and 12 days.... can he apply for citizenship after 4 years and 12 days or does he have to do one more year?

thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, AMH said:

Hi there,

I have a question regarding citizenship application with regards to dates and wonder if anyone can help me with it..

First Entry (on 489): 18th May 2017

Left: 26th May 2017

Second Entry (moved permanently): 2nd April 2018

PR Granted: 22nd Sept 2020

As of 22nd Sept 2021, I will have stayed 1 year on PR and as I first entered in May 2017, I will have crossed 4 years since first entry... and less that 1 year outside from first entry...

Can I apply on 22nd Sept 2020 or do I have to wait for 4 years from date of permanent movement?

Secondly, If let's say a within a 4 year duration, a person has been out of the country for 1 year and 12 days.... can he apply for citizenship after 4 years and 12 days or does he have to do one more year?

thanks!!

Use this calculator to check.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...